Is novel update good or bad for the websites?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by lacorzana, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aternus

Aternus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There already is one. Two major ones I believe actually. But compared to the ease of use and appearance and ranking system of Novelupdates they are pretty inconvenient to use.

2. Ciclonz

Ciclonz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yes, my mistake. I hope they can have a separate website then. Thank you for clarifying

3. TSLives

TSLives Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then you don't really appreciate it.

4. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know exactly how useful it is, all I know is that I find it useful and use it everyday. My personal opinion would be that it is mostly a good thing for novel websites, almost like a free advertisement to them.
    No. There isn't such a thing as unknown ones or known ones. They aren't classified like that for all I know. Wuxiaworld and Gravity Tales could also be unknown for some people.

5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Considering that pretty much all novels I currently read were discovered through NU... Pretty sure it's a wonderful thing, a lot better than using one of the equivalents of mangafox for novels, which is probably what I would use if NU wasn't a thing.
    I think he meant that the bigger sites, like WW, don't really gain that much from NU, since they were already prettt big.

The small translation sites probably gained a lot more since they would be hard to find otherwise... Nobody loses anything due to NU existing though, so I suppose it benefits everyone, some more than others.

6. LordCorwin

LordCorwin Supreme Book Lord; Leader of the Fiction Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    Doesn't mean someone can't make a better version. If they are that inconvenient to use, seems like there is room in the community for a better solution.

7. Cryotic

Cryotic Nora's Psychic◈Nora's Silly Wife◈春雷◈暗いよ

Reading List:
    Link
    I find it much easier keeping tabs on the novels I read using NU... I tend to forgot the sites where I read novels in the past.. it's a big help for me as a reader and imo also to the translation sites because readers have more convenient and easy access to all the novels they read...

8. drewjn

drewjn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since NU doesn't host any of the novels and purely links to the translation/hosting site, it is purely a highly effective tool to implement to keep track of novels.

Since these links bring to attention the sites that do host, you can learn of the unlisted ones through word of mouth, or by actually looking at the translation sites directly. If you like gravity tales, WW, alyschu, volare, etc., it is at your own discretion to actually look what else they work on or host.

Bringing attention does not necessarily result in any harm to another site, unless attention itself is dangerous if the site has something to hide... Such as with licensed novels, but then again, NU would comply or not get mixed up in that mire by not linking such content in the first place.

voiceburner likes this.
  9. voiceburner

voiceburner Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest outer site security is not nu or nuf's responsibility,if i remember correctly you have to sign up to be listed on there list of publishing list so any site or entity who caimes nu caused them damage is performing a show to get sympathy from whoever will listen to their redorick.

10. Gyvern-Games

Gyvern-Games Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Jeez lol

11. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    This site is very helpful. Back in 2014, all I have is a messy bookmarks and F5 power.

AliceShiki likes this.
  12. Acarnina

Acarnina  

Reading List:
    Link
    There seem to be a lot of people discussing whether or not it's useful for the readers, which is a definite yes. That's kind of obvious.

There are others discussing its benefits to the websites, which was the original question. This also seems to be a yes, as it increases traffic and brings exposure, and websites make money off of traffic. On the other hand, because of how it brings traffic (and its bots crawling everything) NU has caused sites to overload and crash before, especially right after a release. If we assume crashes are bad, but traffic is good, we end up with a net neutral benefit for the websites that host translations. The big websites that don't crash don't need NU to bring in traffic, and the small ones that do get too much traffic; a rather unfortunate turn of events. However, we can tip the scales by the fact that NU approves translations and persecutes aggregator sites, which harm websites of all sizes. That makes it a net benefit to the websites and the translator community in general.

So yes, NU is a good thing. NUF, on the other hand...

kenar, Shio and AliceShiki like this.
  13. Sosseres

Sosseres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    50%+ of translator sites have implemented anti spam-bot features that makes it a drag posting a quick comment or two on their sites. I don't want another 50 accounts just to drop a few lines now and then. NUF makes that even more of a bother in comparison, so I can agree it serves a negative function for them in many cases.

14. Shabalak

Shabalak Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well just an idea change the name of bookmark with a reminder like "Original novel 1" and then you can use bookmark manager of your browser. You can use "Find" in this manager. I sometimes do this when I am doing research. ☺

15. Asdq

Asdq RSS FEED SECT! I WANT YOU FOR THE RSS ARMY!

Reading List:
    Link
    Use RSS for original novels.

16. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    locked. necro

AliceShiki likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.