Discussion Is Umineko no Naku Koro ni good?

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Ai chan, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    I just thought of watching it after listening to the awesome songs composed by Akiko Shikata for the anime. So for those who have watched it, can you tell me what you like about the anime and perhaps a summary of how the story go?

If you have never watched this anime and you think the title sounds familiar, you probably have watched its prequel, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (Higurashi When They Cry). Though it's probably not a prequel per se, but more like an anime in the same series. I don't know, I haven't watched it yet.

I'm aware that Umineko is from a VN, but I don't want to keep switching back and forth between Japanese locale and English locale. I'm actually surprised that nobody suggested Umineko when I asked for supernatural horror back then. Is it because everyone's too afraid of watching it after watching Higurashi?

Just to put it out there. Beatrice is gorgeous!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  2. Overclock

Overclock Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It all depends on whether you played or watched the VN first or not. If you didn't its okay. The VN is where the real mystery and logic debates can be found, along with character background and development is, so I didn't enjoy the anime much.

Also, it really isn't horror and mystery like the first series. Its a murder mystery with debates to disprove the theory that the murders are committed with magic.

Ai chan likes this.
  3. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The game yes, the ending not so much. The anime no clue but do try the game when you can.

Ai chan likes this.
  4. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    want the truth?
    i will announce it in gold if you want to

5. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Is that so? Hum, I wonder if it's worth the trouble of having to keep switching locales to play the game.
    I'm afraid to answer.

6. PenguinXeus

PenguinXeus Just A Penguin, Kigurumi Wakuseijin

Reading List:
    Link
    Well if you like the Mystery behind the scene and the ongoing debate between MC and heroine. it good.

however if you want gruesome death like Higurashi no Naku Koro ni then this is not for you

Ai chan likes this.
  7. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    reading the manga is better for me, especially when listening to the ost
    the summary
    a rich old guy died, his children comes to discuss about who would receive the gold(lots of it), they need to resolve an enigma for that, but somehow sh*t happens and everyone dies, then everyone try to discover the truth

Ai chan likes this.
  8. NekoMK2

NekoMK2 Lazy cat, [self proclaimed GM_Rusaku Disciples]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm if not wrong this already had fans translation, need to check it but if want just check in erogedownload they always hosting news translated VN and eroge be it fans or official

Ai chan likes this.
  9. Overclock

Reading List:
    Link
    If you do give the game a try a warning. A key staff member died between the first half of the games and second half, so second half lost the murder mystery feel and was more emotional, not logic, but fantasy.

Ai chan likes this.
  10. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have a problem with translated or whatnot. Unfortunately, even the version on erogedownload requires me to switch to Japanese locale, and that's troublesome for me.

11. NekoMK2

NekoMK2 Lazy cat, [self proclaimed GM_Rusaku Disciples]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well it's always like that except the one who got official translation from Mangagamer or Jast, many fans translation VN always need to change locale to Japanese one after all
    Some people sometimes just change to Japan locale when playing then switch it back though

12. Overclock

Reading List:
    Link
    You can watch the full games on YouTube. That's what I did since only the eighth game was interactive I think. Videos might have been taken down though by now.

Also there's a very good parody series for the first 4 games on YouTube. It looks silly at first, but the ending parts probably solved most of the murders with incredible reasoning.

13. Wise old fisher

Wise old fisher [I am not a potato] [Chorus heresy]

Reading List:
    Link
    Read the manga to anime is a failure

14. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Umineko is one of my favourite VN, or to be precise Sound Novel. The graphics of the original PC release isn't really appealing, but the sound effects managed to bring out more charm to the already great story. But later on, the character sprite has been renewed in the PSP release. If you decided to try the game in the end, make sure to patch it with the sprites from the PSP release.

The story is about the tragedy that happened in Rokkenjima Island. No ones know what really happened there, only there resulting casualties is certain. There's a letter in a bottle that claimed to be written by Maria, one of the victim, which explains what really happened. The problem is, latter on several letters similar to it which signed by the same person are found. And the content is completely different than the first one. Not to mention that the legibility of those letters are questionable.

Umineko is one example of Unreliable Narrator done right. It comes with a set of rules in coloured texts which are failed to be captured perfectly in the Anime. But if you decided to watch the Anime in the end, you'll still need to play the VN to understand the whole picture of the story, as the Anime only covers the first four arc of the VN.

15. Rafaelrgm

Rafaelrgm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    After playing the Novel the anime turns into shit inside your mind. The novel it's excelent and I do recomend, but I can't say the same about the anime. The anime has some clues for the mystery but I don't think it's enough to solve it.

But if there is one thing that I love about the anime... That would be "La Divina Tragedia" that sends the power of the DESIRE to us.

16. SeventhRealm

SeventhRealm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The VN is excellent... For those that don't get the ending heh... The ending isn't even an ending for the true story it's more of a way to mess up any theory for the game. This series is one of the best I've played. Also Bernkastel is the most trolliest character I've ever seen.
    As for the Anime, depends if you've played the VN, the Anime is supposed to give you insight from what you can't see in the VN to support any theories you have or destroy from what the author said in a interview.

17. Claire the Lunatic

Claire the Lunatic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The anime sucks. Better read the VN to be honest.