Is Xianxiaworld losing money?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Black9Pink, Jan 9, 2017.

?

Is Xianxiaworld losing money?

1. Yes, losing money

44 vote(s)
    83.0%
  2. No, making a profit

9 vote(s)
    17.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why is that a bad thing?

2. aarush

aarush Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Better question would be 'why there is no release on XXW for last 4-5 days?'

3. Elion

Elion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well that was low,thankfully little shanks is now translating Rebirth of the thief I believe?

4. Keima-kun

Keima-kun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think xianxiaworld is generally a good website. I remember it being one of the websites which have 2 to 3 novels that I followed. But after the updates being inconsistent, the time I frequents the site became less. Some may argue the quality of the translations are terrible, but for me it is readable and in fact quite good. The fact that we are reading an unofficial translation gives it a litle bit of lee way in terms of quality.

Back to the topic, XXW and certain similar websites are suffering from a vicious cycle that prevents them from gaining loyal reader base. Updates being slow meaning people would tend to stockpile chapters to read instead of coming daily. Inconsistencies also provide no reassurance to the readers to donate. Aside from that, the fact that they are focusing on too many novels at a time (I am aware that they are different translator groups) made them to have no signature novels as in case of Wuxiaworld (coiling dragon), GravityTales( Zhan long) etc. Just like how these websites have dedicated translators; Deathblade, Cktalon, GGP, just to name a few. , which release daily chapters, maybe they would slowly gain fanbase.

The website is not dying though as I keep seeing updates coming on the list but to say it is profitable may not be the case.

Disclaimer: This is solely on my own opinion, not based on any facts.

Setra likes this.
  5. Elion

Elion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    probably no cash,no cash no ads,no ads no paying translators,no paying translators no readers,no readers no money,no money no cash to pay the web,no cash to pay the web,FAILURE

6. aarush

aarush Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because it becomes poaching.

7. Nordic

Nordic The Lazy Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you aware how many xianxia series that are finished? If you thought the answer is high then sorry to break it but it is 2 so what does competing for novels do when almost no series is finished and there is a bunch of good ones that are untranslated.

8. Elion

Elion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah but they ARE not going to win loyal readers,one reason is that they don't have any good novel.The only left are a few average novels,AWE was the best out there,but it left the web

then was one novel whose title i forgot

9. Atamahead027

Atamahead027 Pleasure Research Club President

Reading List:
    Link
    eww.. that pretty nasty.

Indiboy likes this.
  10. YunsmoothChe

YunsmoothChe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah he is frankly I find Littleshanks very endearing he is a cool guy through out though a little low on confidence at times.

11. Elion

Elion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    true the only ones completely translated are:

Coiling Dragon and Stellar Transformation

Just his name shows it >.>

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2017
    YunsmoothChe likes this.
  12. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What is poaching, exactly? And why is it bad?

It is up to the translator to decide what to translate, if 2 translators decide to translate the same thing then why is that bad? We get 2 versions to compare with.

It's up to the translator what to pick up and what to drop, nobody can force him to stop (other than a DMCA).

If people preferred littleshank's translations then they would read his translation instead of xianxiaworld's translation. What's the problem?

Iromania likes this.
  13. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    The way xxw does things has always been shady. It was only a matter of time before things blew up from it. Besides, as english is my first and only language it is sometimes hard to read their poor translations. It's not the worst, but there are at least dozens of mistakes in every chapter.
    Have you thought this through? Can you really not understand why they wouldn't want to compete? Seems pretty obvious

14. Indiboy

Indiboy Well Known boi

Reading List:
    Link
    Sharing of page views.
    Less people reading => translator less motivated

15. Elion

Elion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Really?If you were killed in a bad way,but then in another world you'd be killed by old age,then compare them ahaha

Dude,it's like saying you have an apple you got after two months of waiting and it gets stolen by a nobody!

16. famous35

famous35 I don't feel like it.

Reading List:
    Link
    Xianxiaworld suffered from a lack of standard. The people managing the website almost never gives update or announcement. The translators does not respect their readers; when they are off schedule by weeks, they offer no apology or explanation. In contrast to XXW, most WW translators will give you an explanation even when a release is a mere hour late (PDB). When is the translating community going to gut it anyway? They are a few good novels, translators and editors on there.

17. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But it seems to me that if people really preferred littleshank's translations then they would just wait for his translation and not read xxw's translation.

18. DemonicLeecher

DemonicLeecher Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    damn, I can't leeching around xianxiaworld anymore
    I hope other TL found new site to host their work

19. Elion

Elion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    -_-

Sir, it seems you are a very not normal person.

Would you wait for a very delicious meal or eat immediately something not very delicious,when you are hungry.

It's your choice.

Aethalis and jackateonetoo like this.
  20. YunsmoothChe

YunsmoothChe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of us did but littleshanks didn't want to continue due to him not wanting stress on a hobby as something he did for fun turned into a cold war with XXW, apparently you have never been aware of the situation but make a blanket statement about it sheesh.

If we wanted to read it as fast as possible then we would just MTL and frankly initial XXW chapters were no better than edited MTL and they still do MTL as evidenced by when AWE moved to WW in Deathblade's post which makes it crystal clear.

TL;DR: littleshanks didn't want the stress and we don't blame him would have waited gladly for him though

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.