Is Xianxiaworld losing money?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Black9Pink, Jan 9, 2017.

?

Is Xianxiaworld losing money?

1. Yes, losing money

44 vote(s)
    83.0%
  2. No, making a profit

9 vote(s)
    17.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elion

Elion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, The only time I went to their web was to read Dragon Marked God

Yeah, also he took another novel where he wasn't in pressure.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2017
    Indiboy and YunsmoothChe like this.
  2. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay then I agree in this case xxw's actions were unethical because they effectively replaced a good translation with a bad one but you can't make a blanket statement that multiple translations are always unethical because there are multiple translations of any novel out there. For example there are multiple translations of The Art Of War and I don't see anyone calling that unethical.

zentetsuken likes this.
  3. Elion

Elion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    multiple translations are allowed,who are we to disallow it?

But translators have unwritten rules, and "MULTIPLE" translations are one of them.

Not every translator can afford good editors some are bought some edit for free.AND some translators don't have all the time they want to have.

They have a life dude.It's not like they are married like DeathBlade and have a good income to support their families.

A average translator may not even make 100$ a week.

4. Indiboy

Indiboy Well Known boi

Reading List:
    Link
    It is not right to call it 'unethical'.
    This is just discouraging the TL as he/she makes effort to translate... and a large no. Of readers flog to another site to read faster.
    Even the donations would reduce!
    So lesser readers and lesser donations(fyi any well educated translator can earn more at a corporate job.. donations just help them to sustain their hobby. )
    You may just be an ignorant person.

5. YunsmoothChe

YunsmoothChe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well you quoted my reply but went on a tangent on a flimsy straw man.

No one here is saying multiple translations are bad frankly they bring some healthy competition* but that's not what happened here now did it what happened was purely a calculated vindictive move by XXW to try and force littleshanks to drop it and they succeded sadly for us readers.
    *(Edited:Just to be clear this is in the context of proper books like The Art Of War and does not refer to LN translation as well as with a very heavy emphasis on HEALTHY COMPETITION not an unhealthy or a vindictive one)

Don't pretend that in the LN translation speed of release or the first person to release doesn't matter.
    The translation of The Art Of War happened at different periods and had no relation with each other except maybe as inspiration or reference while LNs happen in real time in front of our eyes with our and other translator's actions affecting and having effect on the person translating and the translation process itself and this was a calculated move by XXW to have a negative effect, no one can deny this.

If you still do not see the reason and just continue to defend your pov or position I will rather not engage in a meaningless discussion where my words fall on empty ears of one whose agenda is to prove him/her self right.

Have a nice day.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  6. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Imagine a neighborhood store near your house. It's kind of expensive (high quality, but normal translation time), but you still go here anyway. Then another store appear. They throw discount (faster translation time) every week, eventually making the small store bankrupt. The new store now become the only supplier in that area. Since they no longer have rival, they start to increase their price or didn't dropped in service.

Easier to imagine? It's pretty much the same thing with XXW. It's not like multiple translation always ends in bad note. A slight smile is very charming & kumo have multiple translator and that's ok. The difference between them is that smile & kumo's translator didn't try to shut down their competitors. XXW purposedly released chapter at higher rate to take the reader base

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  7. YunsmoothChe

YunsmoothChe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly man great analogy
    also just FYI its XXW not wwx.

Shio likes this.
  8. _Selutu_

_Selutu_ 灭世魔尊

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you mean XXW, not WWX XD

Shio likes this.
  9. OmegaDion

OmegaDion [Ω The End Ω] [Forum Reporter]

Reading List:
    Link
    This is like the 3rd or 4th thread I have read this week regarding xxw. But really though, they could have been good with few novels on their site but they really got greeedy on their part and went to get bunch of novels altogether. Their MTL is subpar but readable for a chinese illiterate.

10. Mizura

Mizura Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ... lol@people arguing about XXW's translation quality or whatnot. You realize that the fault is mostly from the demand side, right? Most readers prefer faster translations and won't pay proper market prices for decent translations, and don't bother re-reading when a better translation comes out or giving thanks to the translator. If they cared that much, they'd boycott the bad translations and/or sponsor the better ones.

Certainly, there is an unwritten rule not to compete on translations, but it's not set in stone. In particular, nobody will raise a fuss if a translator makes better translations of older chapters: it happened with popular series like LMS (where fans MTL'ed big chunks for themselves but still looked forward to proper translations) and Kumo Desu Ka (there's a guy re-translating all the older chapters that were poorly translated). If there is enough fan support And the translator likes the work enough, nothing is stopping a translator from re-doing 'proper' translations, but the fans must accept that those would be much slower than the MTLs. How often do you see fans step forward and say "Oy, we want better translations, it's okay if it takes 3-5 days per chapter, we'll pay extra to switch to professional translations"? Yeah.

asriu, StuffedDuck and keklel like this.
  11. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: nice mostly on reader fault yup (y)
    that's why I enjoy little drama from translation war back then~

12. tomanonimos

tomanonimos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same. I believe that novel was pretty independent from XXW (both financial and translation) and Ares made that abundantly clear.

Ares has been MIA from Reddit also, parallel to when he essentially stopped posting chapters, so I'd like to think he just took a break for Christmas.

I also know that Ares switched translating websites and this novel was not translated by XXW. The silver lining is that if XXW sinks then DMWG/Ares could easily transfer to a new website.

Elion likes this.
  13. DeathStroke96

DeathStroke96 『President of Sindria Trading Co.』『Uncle』『GOD』

Reading List:
    Link
    technically he has another site, he set up just because he wanted to be in touch with the community but then forgot about it... http://grandlation.com/

14. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it really sucks for this to happen since they do have some readers that are loyal to them but there's nothing much less to do other than downsizing.

Raizhee likes this.
  15. Elion

Elion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's be true,they HAVE no loyal readers.The readers are loyal to the novels.

XianxiaWorld itself has never done anything for it to gain loyal readers because unlike WuxiaWorld,they almost never announced something

q
    and unlike WuxiaWorld/GravityTales and others they don't try to make the web as good as they could for the readers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2017
    zentetsuken likes this.
  16. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah, you're right about that, I pity the the innocent people involved with this..

17. Black9Pink

Black9Pink Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So Xianxiaworld will be making an announcement soon?

http://grandlation.com/

Hello, sorry for the long time without any updates. I am leaving xianxiaworld due to reasons. I am not sure whether or not I can speak of these reasons, but there will most likely be an announcement from xxw’s side in the future explaining things in greater detail. I am not planning on hosting DMWG on this side, I’m only using it now as means to make an announcement.

18. something123

something123 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sorn-3DHTC8

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol.

I didn't read much of the thread, but if XXW has a problem, it's that all the novels they picked were second-tier at best, due to coming way too late to the game or lack of knowledge of the game.

I've been to their site multiple times to try some of their novels, but rarely ended up bothering to get far. The layout also looks really bad on the eyes and discourages exploring the site deeper.

The easy low hanging fruit i.e. the big money makers, have likely already been taken by the srs translators or are currently being suckled on who knew what they were doing.

Sounds like the common example of a amateur investor investing outside his sphere of competence coming too late too the party.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  19. wolfeinstein24

wolfeinstein24 [Practioner of the Daos of Lurking and Leeching]

Reading List:
    Link
    I really liked the emporer of Cosmos. But then started the bad English. They were just posting unedited chapters. Now I don't even want to look at it anymore

20. Raizhee

Raizhee who

Reading List:
    Link
    So basically .... No more God of Slaughter chappys? Dammit i'm going to cry if this happens ! Fu fu fu
    Also ... Seems like there's no reason to be on xxw huh ,well that's sad since i had some novels there , i hope someone picks / they can resolve it somehow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.