Discussion Japanese Reincarnation Novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Tolena, Nov 20, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tolena

Tolena 《Virtual Reality Addict》

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you feel sometimes these reincarnation novels are too overbearing in the sense that they make the character a 4-6 years old kid doing amazing stuff like that should not be doing?

I feel one of the better reincarnation novels is Mushoku tensei where the MC actually grows up rather than remain as a 4-6 years old doing stuff. Most novels that are based on reincarnation do not talk about the growth of the character most of the time. Maybe something like school ark then goes adventuring. Most of the time they focus on how the MC is really over powered as a kid learning mana use having amazing powers fighting monsters etc etc. If anyone has any novels to suggest to me with a good reincarnation plot whether it be fanfic or real novels I'd like to read it. Something that shows clear growth of main character!

Shio likes this.
  2. bighandxyz

bighandxyz Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's alot of bad reincarnation novels, but there a few good ones with good developments and buildup.

What I kind of dislike for vast majority of these novels though (chinese or jp) is that they don't ever touch upon background of their previous life. They don't have any actual connection with the story. I think of all the reincarnation novels I've read, only Against the God have where pre-reincarnation life situation plays a role in the story.

Mushoku Tensei is kinda boring though. There is just something about rudeus I can't stand, drop around vol 18.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  3. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    kumo desu ga na is good since the main character starts at the literal bottom and makes her way up. there is also the confusion of time zones but that is all cleared up as you get to the 200s chapter. but generally they dont start off weak bsince most people right how much of an advantage will a normal man with a extraordinary imagination do in a magical world

4. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    ^^ All hail Kumocchi; our one true spider goddess~
    Of my favorate >Japanese< reincarnation stories is the above mentioned Kumo desu ga nani ka; as well as Tensei Shitara Slime... Both score highly on the Nyanko charts!

NekoMK2 likes this.
  5. Ldyrdy

Ldyrdy Snowfallsdown

Reading List:
    Link
    I've answer this before in reddit...

Reincarnation + truck kun is one of the best and simplest way to create an OP MC in only one chapter.. No need to explain further why the MC is OP..

NekoMK2 and Shio like this.
  6. Saitama

Saitama Hmph

Reading List:
    Link
    Only Japanese reincarnation novel I know is kuro no maou

7. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    ever hear of world teacher? it is pretty good but the past doesnt play much of a role except in his cooking, fighting and stuff. we get a bit of his history though, and there are some tear-jerking moments recently.

8. komzaki

komzaki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kuro no maou is more like transported to another world rather than reincarnation.

9. Saitama

Saitama Hmph

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yea
    I forgot :x
    Still a "good" Japanese novel

10. Stealth

Stealth Elegant Lady

Reading List:
    Link
    reincarnation story become overrated....
    the copycat.. think that they can make their own story... like us imagining becoming the MC
    yeah i agree about a baby do OP thing (im no exception, im also OP baby)
    n the most we anticipated was at school arc... the MC showing off their OPness
    n that remembering past life..... why not partially
    n why always me eh no.. why always truck-sama n his cronies

ahhemm, enough with the rant
    a good reincarnation novel... seirei gensouki maybe

11. tocos10

tocos10 Even more then the greatest Poster

Reading List:
    Link
    If atg was Japanese then it would fit perfectly. The way reincarnation is handled is perfect. It just skips over the childhood years.The only Japanese novel i can think of would be Death March as he is not human and doesn't face the same problems.

12. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    You could have a look at the released chapters of Hachinan tte, Sore wa Nai Deshou! There is some mild development while he is quite young (from a young child until early teens) so far. One of the main things I didn't really like about this is that there is a very slim chance of being born with magic power or whatever it is, so just existing pretty much already puts him above most people. Site says that there will be more releases but it's not very promising though.

13. Daike1234

Daike1234 THE GUY WHO TRANSLATE WITH THE HELP OF MACHINES

Reading List:
    Link
  14. gill

gill Kairoaddict Disease Acquired

Reading List:
    Link
    lately i read le festive de la vampire, although it jumbled over here and there, worst the previous translator grammar is not that good to read so i fell like the meaning os a bit missed. but because the story is interesting i continue to read it. the current translator tough doing good job at translating the novel

15. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind reincarnation story's but a lot of the mcs don't fully use the advantage of the extra experiences and memories they are given

16. Panlong

Panlong The Furtive Pigmy - Father of the Abyss

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello! I have read about every LN and WN I could find but I've been scraping the bottom of the barrel lately. I can never find something with more than 50 chapters that I haven't already read but, from just randomly scrolling... I found "Kumo desu ga na" The synopsis looks pretty interesting, kinda reminds me of slime tensei or whatever its called. Think it's been dropped at 113? Anyway! Thanks dude =D

17. makenai89

makenai89 The Divine Procrastinator

Reading List:
    Link
    How about this one:
    http://www.novelupdates.com/series/an-otome-games-burikko-villainess-turned-into-a-magic-otaku/
    have you read it?
    Not only ATG. Douluo Dalu too has plenty of background, and it greatly influences the MC life after reincarnation.

Dizzcity, Jaded and Ldyrdy like this.
  18. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    Dropped? No. The current translator isn't translating it as fast as the original one. Don't forget to read the side stories!

19. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Japanese reincarnation novels? Le Sigh. It always come with a harem. Always. Sometimes not, but always is. Aside from that, it's hard to find one that really goes into details like Mushoku Tensei. Most just slap some villain here, stick some OP skills there, drop a pretty love interest here, drag the story with side stories there...just to get the plot moving instead of having it planned in the previous chapters that make us want to re-read the whole thing and have a 'Oooo...." moment. I have very low expectations for JP reincarnations novels nowadays.

NinetH likes this.
  20. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yap. It is still understandable if the only character who behave maturely is the mc with past memories, but most of the times other child character also ended up acting like adult. This appear a lot in shoujo /romance /royalty, and the author only brushed it up by saying: "they are royalty and live in different era than us, so they act more maturely." imagine 6/7 years old child that already approach another 'in order to gain support' and is able to fully control their expression to curry favor.

Ldyrdy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.