Recommendations Malay novels, give me strength...

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by LaDyViL, Oct 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    ...... why not give Atheist since you recommend old book or Robohnya Surau Kami~

2. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well before being standardized by Indonesian government through Badan Pengembangan dan Pembinaan Bahasa, old Indonesia and old Malaysia almost sound the same. That's why Indonesia people who read old Indonesian novel always feel that the novels sounds alot like Malay (old Malay at least, Modern Malay had diverged somewhat due to language drift).
    That's the reason why I recommend old Indonesian Novel, as this is the novel that I know as I never read Malay novel before ...

Ai chan likes this.
  3. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see, I'll try and find excerpts of your recs and see if I'm able to understand them. Thank you.

4. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Same with old Malaysian Malay. Konserto Terakhir was one such novel. I've had students asking why they have to learn Indonesian novel in literature class. But the book was purely Malaysian, it was just written in old Malay, some of the words aren't even in common use anymore.

5. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know about Malay lack fantasy novel, cause back in my childhood day without internet, most of Malay novel I read is about fantasy & especially horror. I hate horror now, Don't know how I can handle all those horror novel back in the day.
    I don't know if you can find any Malay novel in the internet, but my favorite novel back in the day is about Hang Tuah. How he outsmart his opponent. He's not only skilled, but also intelligent. His journey is interesting but the ending is unsatisfying. I don't like how he is too loyal to the sultan, when order to die, he just follow it cause of his loyalty.

I do want to try create Hang Tuah fantasy story in english, but give up because of his loyalty to the sultan. What a dilemma & too many hard work for neet like me.

6. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    The hikayat Hang Tuah? Or is it modern day adaptations?

It's not to say that it's lacking but the genres aside from romance/religions don't have works that really stand out that make you think 'this is so good...who need romance when you have insert novel name' like that.

Buhahaha I have a facfiction of Hang Tuah but it's there in my folder for my eyes only. Why? Because it's BL muhahaha...!!!!

7. elairz

elairz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai chan likes this.
  8. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't remember if it's modern day adaptation or not. I read it somewhere in 1997-99, don't remember. It's friend novel. BL? Ugh, you just destroy my childhood dream. I like trap, but never imagine this one. =.=

9. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Buhahaha...that's why it's for my eyes only. I doubt anyone shares my taste hahaha

-The dream destroyer

10. MrS4n

MrS4n Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No comment there everyone has their own taste..
    xD

11. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Yepyep. I'm a Jebat fan, and his ending always made me want an AU huhu... Though I wrote about TuJe, I'm not posting it anywhere not even to personal blogs. With the flood of religious novels, the chance I'll generate traffic with flames is pretty scary haha... Maybe one day when other genres are more popular...

12. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, the 80s and early 90s were great years for Malay literature.

13. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ramlee Awang Murshid is great stuff. I've read one or two (forgotten the titles).

Stay away from Ahadiat Akashah. Lagenda Budak Setan was epic (still an overdramatic love story), but others are cringeworthy. A lot of other malay novels are really cringeworthy. But there are some gems, except that they're no longer in production (like the real Kanang Anak Langkau autobiography [which makes a REALLY, REALLY GREAT soldier story, because his story is really that epic] before the "repolished/refurbished" edition, which highlighted his real suffering and pains during his army days and post army days, being used and forgotten, before the current extensive revision which make him look like he had a great life from beginning to the end)

LaDyViL likes this.
  14. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe coz if the novel become too popular recruitment rate will go down, so they cover the painful things up. Too bad many are remake to tailor to today's audience. Nowadays the sales make up too much of what is required for a novel instead of originality.

15. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Remake, i don't mind. Whitewashing /rewriting history, that's what I am really aghast.

Speaking about writing to today's audience, it is apalling that "raped then fell in love with the rapist" is the flavour that's also shown on national television. That is why i'm disgusted (not that i've got anything against it, but the national policy and what's shown are very... contradictory)

But back to Malay novels;

If there's BUKU FIXI attached to it, chances are its a gem. Though it won't be a best seller. If you like what you read on BUKU FIXI (there's another one but i forgot), go and buy the original and support the author.

LaDyViL likes this.
  16. mastemind05

mastemind05 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kho_Ping_Hoo

he write short wuxia story...
    and his work still famous for elderly nowdays

also if you want wuxia but in indonesian taste...
    well they have some of it as well... although many was more like historical figure...
    other some well known fighter was like... Wiro Sableng, Si buta dari Goa Hantu and many more ...

also erotic, horror, drama, thriller...
    well i believe there is also many in malay as well

17. LC

LC Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  18. Yukkuri Oniisan

Reading List:
    Link
  19. LC

LC Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    egh... but die-hard fans enny arrow novel series object, despise, and ask to differ LOL
    (IYKWIM then you are old enough)

20. Yukkuri Oniisan

Reading List:
    Link
    Googling Enny Arrow...
    Read the topmost search result...
    So... I think there will be a lot of potential market for... H-series that is......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.