Discussion Mcs with crap for parents but why do you say the parents arent crap?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by EUGA, Mar 24, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EUGA

EUGA The Taco Sovereign

Reading List:
    Link
    so was recently browsing spoilers for a few stories and noticed that people never blame the parents for ditching a helpless child in an enviornment where they know the kids fucked...
    For instance in pw everyone claims the parents are just same with issth ect

But my point is why do the parents have children if they obviously arent prepared to raise thwm, why give birth to pawn your child off into an enviornment where they are 99.9999% likely to die, eapecially considering most have special blodlines, bones, heritage ect. That everyone wants to steal

Yet people still claim justice to the parents? Would you have a kid if you knew you couldnt protect them?? Idk it gets agrivating sometimes and maybe im just biased but it makes no sense to me at all... Rspecially considering most of the time they are part of super clans and shit ....its like a millionaire has a kid but dosent want to share so sends the kid to haiti as a baby and says good luck go die!

Lobo likes this.
  2. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    typically an unforssen event happens and they need to continue their legacy and get revenge. if war happens and all adults get in the clan with children get killed or imprision then for the childs safety they will hide him and prevent information to spread till they are strong enough to handle the power

3. Azure

Azure The True Blue Sky

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhhhhh
    In PW his parents left because they thought he would inevitably die if they didn't get extremely potent medicine, but to get that medicine they had to go somewhere very dangerous, so they chose instead to leave their child under the protection of a literal god. Like, an actual God. They did everything they could for him, but if he was going to die without that medicine, why would they just stay there with him until he died?

Samsara likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    a.) depends on the situation
    b.) need a more concrete example

For example, in one novel the parents had to choose between keeping the child with them, while being hunted by one or more of the more powerful clans where any misstep would lead to death possibly for themselves, and most certainly for the child. They couldn't leave the child in the "civilized" world (see the aforementioned bit about the assassins) so they went to the root of their clan which was believed to be lost and left the child with the best caretaker they could find.

So you are basically saying that because the parents specifically chose to leave their child in the best protected enviroment they could find, with the best caretaker who offered the best chance for recovery for their child, then left to make sure any assassin squads followed them rather than the child; they were terrible parents?

a large portion of the time the protagonists parents are caught inbetween a rock and a hard place. They could keep their vulnerable child with them, which will result in their and or the child's death, or they can find the most out of the way hidden place for the child that offers it the best foundation to grow and then go take on the enemies of the family in order to deceive the foes into thinking that they've destroyed the lot of them.

5. Recklezz

Recklezz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are plenty of extremely bad parents, who place their children in hostile environments, to train their minds and bodies. I think IET's Swallowed star is like that, i can't really remember but i think the parents relied on the their son for income. But mainly in these novels we have to consider what is happening while the 'camera isn't rolling' many of these parents are either helping their children behind the scenes are is active. They might not have a strong influence on the story but are in the background.

Other IET novel Stellar Transformation also shows neglect from the parent, his father doesn't really come to visit the MC after is has been shown that he has not martial prowess.

I case of Manhwa we have: 'The Breaker' an excellent Manwha btw, show neglect from parents that makes it so that the MC want's to commit suicide.

6. Vorpal

Vorpal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    cuz people actually have great parents and doesn't know what it's like to have a bad parent so they unconsiously assume that all parents are great

7. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    In PW the problem was that the kid/mc was born with the greatest bone, so greed. if you had a child with bones made of gold, tell me if you would not run, nothing to do of spawning a child when not ready for him/her.

Also shitty parents exist. thats a fact, I do not advocate listening nor respecting your parents if they abandon you, or sell you, treat you badly or make you steal. but life and shit happens.

8. Satan

Satan Yes

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't think when reading xianxia

9. Ilkhana

Ilkhana Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't say the parents in Swallowed Star are like that. His parents work incredibly hard to take care of their children. They only rely on him for income after he makes it big and it was his choice to take care of his parents as thanks for working so hard for him.

TaoistImmortal, Arcturus and Recklezz like this.
  10. Recklezz

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, =D it has been a looooong time since i read Swallowed Star, and couldn't really remember his parents so i thought that they really weren't doing anything. Sorry bout' that.

Ilkhana likes this.
  11. AnAnimal

AnAnimal Idk mane

Reading List:
    Link
    In novels it can be explained within the circumstances but irl it's bullshit. Aren't prepared to have a kid? Use protection, contraceptives, surgery, etc. And if you do have a kid, take responsibility.

12. Llamia

Llamia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh this reminds me of one. I think its Transcending the Nine Heavens where his parents leave him outside with a jade pendant. I think it was snowing?? not sure. He develops a hatred for them after he's picked up by some Master and lived a long life. He died and was reincarnated/time traveled back into his body of 16years and he finally learns about the jade pendant in his second lifetime. The Master who picked him up was basically like "don't hate your parents, they must have had their reasons." Like wow.

I feel that the Chinese place a high level of respect for one's elders and parents. To the point where even I notice in some novels that even if an uncle/elder-in-a-sect is trying to kill you or criticizing you, you cannot talk back. Theres defiantly some hierarchy issues.

Also just to note, do you know about the many child slaves that are slaves today because of their culture which says that: You owe your parents for giving you life. This is used as a reason why parents can easily sell their children off. I forgot the places, but I think Brazil was one of them, but not sure.

Edit: Also, as many people say. Most of these are simply illogical.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  13. Odyssey

Odyssey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well its like Douluo Dalu why is Tang San never really hated his father but "loved" him like a son should ? I mean in all honesty Tang San's true daddy is Grandmaster

TaoistImmortal likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah responsibility, its like the golden rule, great idea, horrible implementation.

In novels, the characters usually have to be either abandoned or ignored because otherwise there would be no plot.

If the parents were allowed to take a realistic roll in the novels you'd never see the kid power up because they'd never be off in the woods, they wouldn't have to face a life or death challenge, and they wouldn't have conflict to drive the story. Because the parents would be there to resolve the conflict.

It's the old issue of "super powerful being sends plucky kids on a quest to save the world" well why didn't he do it? because [insert reason] which boils down to, it would make a boring story.

Jarrow and Big Boy like this.
  15. Big Boy

Big Boy Weeabo Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    Because conflict is entertainment, and an entertaining novel more views, and more views equals more revenue, which makes the author happy.
    Can you imagine how boring novels would be if all the parents were responsible and sensible? Like, all conflict is solved by the parents, and everyone is raised to be a proper and productive member of society, and they live in this Utopian world where nothing ever fucking happens.
    Easy way to create conflict? Give the MC irresponsible / no parents.

16. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
    I learned this after getting constant headaches from it

Jarrow and Satan like this.
  17. Recklezz

Reading List:
    Link
    If you don't count the MC's parents in Novels then the bad guys parents are all crap, forcing their children to fight to the death (sometimes) in tournaments; PMG and so many more. The parents themselves are also bad guys, but, still raising their children to be little shits!

18. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    #1 Reason: PLOT.
    #2 Reason: BAD PLOT.

#3 Reason: CULTURE.
    This one is much more serious and unpleasant. In many Asian cultures - including Han Chinese - the lives of kids are can be disposable. Killing a little boy costs only a few thousand RMB, while killing an adult costs at least 20k to 50k for an average adult male; more if the man is rich and/or well connected. Girls are, of course, worth much less. Not a nice thing for western folk to contemplate. And that's MODERN Chinese culture.

19. Winged Basilisk

Winged Basilisk [Lord of Lurkers]

Reading List:
    Link
    i sorry but i couldn't stop laughing because i looked at your picture then started reading. Laughed after every word. We all hold a place in our hearts for our biological parents and being abandoned causes a longing to know why you were abandoned and wanting to prove you didn't deserve. That's why "Daddy Issues" exist. I think if everyone knew where their parents were we would lose half the chapters for like every story and we can get translators to actually finish translating in this lifetime.

20. rdawv

rdawv The Ancient of Lore

Reading List:
    Link
    This isn't just a Chinese thing, all Asian countries influenced by Confucianism have pretty much the same attitudes about respecting the elderly and one's parents. One can say the Koreans take this to the extreme, as they even have different speech levels when speaking to someone older.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.