Recommendations Military dude in another world

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Mewtolentino, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Mewtolentino

Mewtolentino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sup guys so i'm looking for a military dude that got transported to another world with his guns and stuff or something like a dude that has guns in the other world.

P.S i don't care which source it came from like NU or RRL
    thanks in advance :3

2. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
  3. GembelELITE

GembelELITE low-profile member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. velivelz123

velivelz123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Youjo Senki-anime/manga military dude in young girl's body :)

5. Alchyr

Alchyr Master of Procrastination

Reading List:
    Link
    I think this is not quite taking future weapons to a fantasy world but it technically is a reincarnated person with military weapons in another world...
    I don't think this is what you're looking for but I still recommend it, because it's good.

6. Saol

Saol [The Six Sect★Founder]

Reading List:
    Link
    The only two that can think of are
    1. Hon Issatsu de Kototariru Isekai Rurō Monogatari
    2. Gunota Ga Mahou Sekai Ni Tensei Shitara Gendai Heiki De Guntai Harem O Tsukucchaimashita

7. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    There's Modern FPS where an fps player is transported to a fantasy world on NU and there's a Nation of Riflemen where a trio of gunlovers are transported with their vehicles to another world, but where they have earlier techs of gun, beginning of the 20th century tech or similar.

8. LordTouchMe

LordTouchMe Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Neruz

Neruz sssSSSssss

Reading List:
    Link
    Do any of them actually act like soldiers though? I've noticed a lot of stories that purport to have a protagonist with military background completely and totally fail to demonstrate that in the protagonist's behavior and character. It seems to mostly just be an easy way to handwave the protagonist being unrealistically awesome at combat and having connections. I can't actually think of a story on NU that has a protagonist with a supposed military background that actually acts like it.

10. JiangHu

JiangHu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Skyfire Avenue comes close with a secondary character in Prometheus. But sadly, he's not the protagonist. Really wish there was a story about him.

11. chencking

Reading List:
    Link
    I pointed to a thread, but its not like I read everything on the thread.... Anyway, what does it even mean to "act like a soldier?" My father was a soldier, and he doesn't act any different for it. If you want some guy with PTSD, go to an American TV show, not a novel. Or, if you just want wanton slaughtering, most xianxia will do. Especially if they have harems.

barashkafromro likes this.
  12. Neruz

Neruz sssSSSssss

Reading List:
    Link
    I keep trying to read Skyfire Avenue but I always get bored and lose interest. I don't know why either, as by all accounts it's the kind of story I would normally be all over, but something about it just doesn't work for me.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  13. sufod01

sufod01 Ghost

Reading List:
    Link
    Gate – Jietai Kare no Chi nite, Kaku Tatakeri

Elawn likes this.
  14. praetorian

praetorian Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  15. Neruz

Neruz sssSSSssss

Reading List:
    Link
    How long was your father a soldier, and was he a career soldier?

There are a number of simple behavioral factors that tend to be common across people with a strong military background; discipline is the most common of these. People with a military background will also typically have a fairly strict daily routine that they mostly stick to, they tend to get up early and exercise because that's how soldiers live. Another one is demonstrating an understanding of tactics (and strategy if they were an officer). Oh, and organization. Former soldiers tend to be very organized, especially their personal spaces are often very orderly.
    Various habits like this are basically hammered into every soldier as part of basic training, once these habits have been learned they are extremely difficult to unlearn, especially as they're often quite useful in civilian life as well. Over time retired soldiers can often relax these habits considerably, but I've never met a retired career soldier who doesn't show at least the occasional behavioral cue that harks back to their days as a soldier.
    And if you are wondering, I have in fact met a lot of retired soldiers. Three of my four grandparents came from military families and served in the military during WWII and I have met several dozen of their fellow retirees. Hell if I remember my genealogy correctly, my Grandfather on my father's side, his father, his father, his father, his father and his father were all career soldiers.

16. Zalpha

Zalpha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  17. rdawv

rdawv The Ancient of Lore

Reading List:
    Link
    Just pick up any David Weber or David Drake novel, they write a lot of military sci-fi.

18. chencking

Reading List:
    Link
    He served some 10-15 years I recall, before he left for work. It's mandatory where he grew up. Anyway, I disagree with you on certain parts. First, on discipline as it relates to novel MCs: all the MCs are sickeningly disciplined. It's a recurring trope that the MC is always super-disciplined as if that makes them unique, and frustrates many readers, me included. Doubly so in CN novels. Second, my father kept in shape for some years as you said soldiers would. But healthy habits aren't that hard to break; it only takes one time skipped for the thought to get seeded in one's mind. Within 10 years of leaving the army (I'm giving such a vague number since I never cared for the details) my father got fat. He still exercises at times. But it is most definitely not routine.

Anyway, I don't expect you to agree with me; we both just shared our personal experiences, no more, and this is getting off-topic. I believe you won't find the type of soldiers you describe on NU. The CN WNs are often nationalistic, but they often characterize the army as corrupt. Maybe you could find that type of soldier in a TV show, but I think you should go to books. Then again, you may not even be looking for a military novel and like me, came to this thread for no reason in particular. Who knows. Interesting conversation though.

19. Neruz

Neruz sssSSSssss

Reading List:
    Link
    Most soldier protagonists weren't retired though; they're usually somewhere in their 20s and should still be rigorously indoctrinated.
    As for discipline, I think we're just using different definitions of the term. There is more to discipline than merely the ability to train endlessly, which seems to be the only kind of discipline most protagonists are capable of.
    Also, I bet your dad's personal spaces and stuff are all fairly well organized, or at least were for quite a few years after he retired.

And yeah I'm not looking for it specifically, it just annoys me when I read a novel where the protagonist is supposedly some kind of elite soldier who is either still active or literally just retired at the start of the story and then they go on to act nothing like that.

20. skyleven7

skyleven7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link