Discussion Most intelligent novel or manga character (Chinese or Jap only)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by RebirthofNovel, Mar 13, 2017.

?

Who do you think is the best?

1. Princess Wei Yang

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. TTNH

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. Lelouch vi Britannia

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  4. L

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  5. Kira

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted member 37987

Deleted member 37987 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Madarame Baku from Usogui or Shinichi Akiyama from Liar Game.

tack and Dragon God like this.
  2. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    eh who was kira again?

Edit: so I asked google-sensei and it's light yagami? huh? what?

ah so let's say he had no shinigami and death note, ah well nvm, he was cool I guess hehe...

ps. L is numba 1

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2017
    Lokumi likes this.
  3. Diukes

Diukes The Details will be omitted

Reading List:
    Link
    what about Dantalian from Dungeon Defense

Dragon God and qwertzuiop like this.
  4. Deleted member 41274

Reading List:
    Link
    is he smart? intelligent? if yes then maybe @RebirthofNovel could add to poll, unless he doesn't know or like the character

5. Diukes

Diukes The Details will be omitted

Reading List:
    Link
    both ;p

EDIT: oh w8, chinese and jap only, it is korean

6. Deleted member 41274

Reading List:
    Link
    that is kind of sad, because I don't understand why Korean is excluded?

@RebirthofNovel :(

Weed from lms is a hard working good char too hahaha

7. Ranz

Ranz 『Legend Death』『Necromancer』『Pokemon Master』

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe that the mc from Aldnoah.Zero could also be considered intelligent but I forgot his name.
    PS Lelouch and L are the best :D

Edit: How could I forget Shiro(No game no life) and Shikamaru(naruto) ;-;

8. qwertzuiop

qwertzuiop Well-Known Member (not really, lol)

Reading List:
    Link
    When did he learn to eat potatto chips? Wasn't only light able to epically eat potato ships?

Deleted member 41274 likes this.
  9. Ranz

Ranz 『Legend Death』『Necromancer』『Pokemon Master』

Reading List:
    Link
    Um.. btw who's princess wei yang? Which novel/mange is she from and is she worthy to join this list? I don't seem to have any impression of her.

Dragon God likes this.
  10. Deleted member 41274

Reading List:
    Link
    he learnt it in the movie with real life actors

qwertzuiop likes this.
  11. Ninedream

Ninedream Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lelouch FTW <3

12. porkbuns

porkbuns Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He's a bit of a manipulative psychopath and he's pretty intelligent, but I feel you could attribute most of his exploits due to the fact that he's stuck in a game world (or he could be just imagining it all and he's actually in a hospital bed) where he already knows a lot of things about the game's world and characters (history, character personality, etc.).

13. Ko

Ko "The Corrupted Queen"

Reading List:
    Link
    Definitely KIRA!!
    *starts playing the ost*[​IMG]

14. Acarnina

Acarnina  

Reading List:
    Link
    I disagree.

For the Chinese I'm not too sure, but of your three options for JP two are terrible and the third is barely passable.

Lelouch is a competent strategist but overall an idiot. He lacks the ability to understand his opponents strength and adapt to change situations, meaning that he can only perform when the scenario does not deviate from what he predicts. He is given immense predictive powers, yes, but these come more from plot armor and Deus ex Machina then actual intellect. His brother Schniezel is actually intelligent, able to do more than just make plans and lay then out but able to actually adapt and react to changing circumstances, withdrawing and advancing as necessary even when his plans do not work out the way he intended. Further, in terms of social, political, and mechanical intellect lelouch is pretty terrible, with his massive ego getting in the way of accomplishing anything.

Kira, or Light Yagami, is even worse. While he is a much better social and political operator than Lelouch, he lacks the ability to plan even a moderately successful strategy. He is much more intelligent, yes, and certainly devious, but not really deserving of top tier recognition. He panics too quickly, reacts too quickly, and is too convinced of his own superiority to even consider his enemy's plan and plan around it. The only reason he is even remotely successful is his adeptness at exploiting the emotions of others, rather than their reason. As he himself is excessively emotional, this does not always help him, but instead holds him back. With even a trace of planning, Light would have won give he had a massive advantage over his opponents with the Death Note, and he would have done so easily himself, instead of relying on a third party like Rem.

L is the best of the three, and even he is not great. Within a defined and logical universe where the abilities of people are scientifically understood, he would decisively be the best. However, he, like the other two, cannot adapt to events which seemingly contradict those rules. Everything has to be scientific to him; everything must follow consistent laws. This delays him in taking down the moronic Light, whom he would have otherwise crushed. However, to give L credit, he does manage to uncover and nearly defeat Light many times, and only loses through extraordinary Deus ex Machina. So yes, he does deserve to be in the top tier of intelligent characters.

Now, adding more:
    Shiba Tatsuya, from MKnR, has shown himself to be an adept strategist and planner during the NSC as well as a more than competent social operator. Further, he has the ability to suppress his emotions and understand his own and others powers well enough to utilize them effectively. As an additional benefit, Tatsuya is not above using the simplest means to obtain his goal; while Light or L or Lelouch would dance around their enemy to prove intellectual superiority, Tatsuya would pull out a gun and kill them himself. As an added benefit, Tatsuya has never failed like any of the above three and is consistently victorious, even when in situations where his power is sealed and far inferior to his opponents. While he has not led large armies into the field or solved mysteries like the others, his intellectual accomplishments are in no way inferior and should in fact be considered superior.

Izayoi, from Mondaiji, is also one who should be considered top tier. While his stockpile of random knowledge gives him an edge in a universe dictated by the rules of random knowledge, he is still capable of formulating strategies that anticipate and overwhelm his opponents. Further, while just as arrogant as Light or Lelouch, Izayoi knows his own strength and has admitted to not being capable of doing everything himself, allows others to step up and play a part. Izayoi is also more deserving of his arrogance; he is literally invincible as of the latest novels. While he never spends a great deal of time on any one conflict, his ability to quickly and decisively settle many make him deserving of a place on the list.

Demiurge, of Overlord, deserves a place even if we only go by his displayed actions. Outside of a blind spot regarding his worship of Ainz, he has successfully organized the resupply of Nazarick, created a heroic legend for Momon, corrupted the Kingdom and drove the Empire to defeat, and acted as a key strategist and explainer of almost every 'superior scheme' Ainz himself was unable to come up with. While his tendency to rationalize every action to what he perceives the level of intelligence of the actor is a weakness, he has been right almost every time except for that one remaining hole. While he is definitely below the other two in displayed actions, his rumored abilities match theirs and he is definitely far superior to the first three.

NGNL: Blank should not need any explanation. Even if they are just playing games, there is no question they are the best that have ever been at preparing a strategy and then reacting when that strategy goes to hell in the most unpredictable of ways. While they haven't shown too much in the anime, they remain among the absolute top tier and in terms of displayed abilities stand pretty much at the top of the list.

Yahari no Ore or Oregairu's Hachiman Hikigaya should also be considered. While he doesn't solve world problems, lead armies, or win endless games his intellectual ability to be thrust into a situation and quickly and efficiently find a way out of it with minimal casualties is impressive. His only downside is the opposite of Light and Lelouch: he counts himself too little. Further, he doesn't care about the harm this causes to others, rationalizing it as a way to drive them away or that they couldn't really care about him at all. Even with those weaknesses, he is just as deserving of a place on this list as the others.

There are a few more I think should be considered, but those are the ones I can explain immediately. That's 5 above your initial 3, making it nowhere near 'obvious' as you claimed.

Mizura likes this.
  15. KuriGohan and Kamehameha

KuriGohan and Kamehameha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd like to nominate Johan Liebert from Monster. He's one of the most brilliant villain I've ever read.

asriu and qwertzuiop like this.
  16. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    Gou Jia from Ravages of The Times
    with he join Cao Cao he start make foundation for Cao Cao army
    Zhuge Liang and Sima Yi need to collaborate to destroy one of his campaign~
    kill Yuan Shao most brilliant strategist with his scheme that lead to conclusion for Cao Cao north campaign against Yuan Shao~
    successfully manipulating and take some Yuan Shao officer to rebel and join Cao Cao force~
    rendered Guan Yu with Zhang Liao assistance~ while make scheme so Guan Yu will make Liu Bei on Yuan Shao camp die too bad it failed~
    improve eight trigram formation that lead to comment from Zhuge Liang no fortress can withstand such formation, too bad it broken by Zhilong alone when rescue Liu Chan~ partly because Zhilong gain one of Cao Cao sword~
    make recommendation for Sima Yi despite other dislike and have distrust toward Sima Clan cuz he know Sima Yi true ability~
    before his death he have predicted battle of Chi Bi and make retreat path for Cao Cao~
    well Cao Cao lose cuz he have no Gou Jia when he on battle of Chi Bi~

Tannhauser and Nimroth like this.
  17. Mizura

Mizura Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, Jiang Zhe from the Grandmaster Strategist and Roland from The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich. I just remembered that I made similar posts before, so I shall be lazy and quote myself. *cough*

Jiang Zhe from the Grandmaster Strategist:
    Roland from ELCL, from my review:
    http://www.novelupdates.com/fdrev/?comid=30870&sid=3267
    Roland's approach is something I really appreciated: rather than 'the smart guy who is responsible for everything', he is the architect that sets things up so that other individuals, organizations or even socio-economic models can grow on their own. The author has the humbleness to acknowledge that it is impossible for a single individual to predict exactly what will happen in a highly complex world, but Roland rides and guides this chaos, accounting for possibility of failure or of things turning out completely unexpectedly (and that happens a lot later, a bunch of his earlier solutions have ripple effects that are essentially 'lift the rock to smash one's own foot' to him) by first 1. gathering first hand information (he's not some armchair ruler), 2. backup-plan upon back-up plan and 3. quick adaptation to changing situations, all the while growing solid structures to force things in certain ways.

Dragon God, Tannhauser and qwertzuiop like this.
  18. Dragon God

Dragon God {King of Peasants} {Tanya's Husbando}

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you read One Outs or Liar Game?
    The main characters struck me as quite intelligent; I'll be interested in your commentary on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.