NaNoWriMo 2016 Novel Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by iampsyx, Nov 4, 2016.

?

What's your average word count per day?

1. 100-500

28.6%
  2. 500-1000

9.5%
  3. 1000-1500

9.5%
  4. 1500-2000

9.5%
  5. 2k+

42.9%
  1. iampsyx

iampsyx Have some rest, and let's do better tomorrow

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a discussion thread for everyone who is joining NaNoWriMo 2016 to talk about their novels, writing struggles, experience, etc or to ask for help and advice. Use spoiler tags if you don't want other potential readers to get spoiled about your novel!

If you don't know what NaNoWriMo is or you want to join, head on to this thread.

NaNoWriMo 2016 Participants:

@iampsyx - NaNoWriMo Username: iampsyx Novel: Villainess (Fantasy)
    @brasca123 - NaNoWriMo Username: brasca123 Novel: Eva and Aria, a Tale of Two Sisters (Romance)
    @SpearOfLies - NaNoWriMo Username: SpearofLies Novel: The Twist Love of Fujoshi (Romance)
    @SH1R01 - NaNoWriMo Username: ShiroRen Novel: Teorvay (Fantasy)
    @Katsono - NaNoWriMo Username: Roaming Xiu Novel: Sunny Day (Adventure)
    @sinyueliang - NaNoWriMo Username: sinyueliang Novel: The General's Wife (Fantasy, Romance, Slice of Life)
    @Tommyvstommy - NaNoWriMo Username: Tommyvstommy Novel: Gaige Against the Machine (Sci Fi)
    @RRL Vocaloid - RRL Username: Vocaloid Novel: Author's Note (Comedy)
    @Japanese MC - NaNoWriMo Username: Advent of Destruction Novel: --

@AndrewOrion - NaNoWriMo Username: Andrew Orion Novel: The Horn Bow (Fantasy)
    @Zero300 - RRL Username: Zero300 Novel: Masqueraider of Dofus (Action, Adventure)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    Notaborax, AliceShiki and villain like this.
  2. Deleted member 37987

Deleted member 37987 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I… I'd almost forgotten…

…seems like you forgot me too. Twice by the way. D:

3. Casul Reader

Casul Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to write 3.3k words a day.... Let's just say I no longer can......

AliceShiki and iampsyx like this.
  4. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i live under a rock... what is NaNoWriMo??

5. Sethnix

Sethnix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

iampsyx likes this.
  6. Chinese MC

Chinese MC I won't stab you~

Reading List:
    Link
    i am doing it

iampsyx likes this.
  7. RR Vocaloid

RR Vocaloid RoyalRoad.com Slepragt

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm doing it over on RRL. As for my writing speed, it fluctuates. Anywhere from 5 words to 6,000 words a day based on how inspired I am. I average around 500 words per sitting though.

The story I'm writing is called "Author's note" which is basically a joke story where the entire story is basically my commentary on things. It's like a story's author note with the story part removed from the equation. It's much easier to write than an actual story and is surprisingly fun.

I'll go link it in the other thread.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    AliceShiki, iampsyx and CelestAura like this.
  8. iampsyx

Reading List:
    Link
    To start off, I want to ask @SpearOfLies's help in figuring out what cunning characters would do in a particular situation! \o/

(For those who haven't read Villainess's first 2 chapters yet)
    Villainess is basically a girl-gets-reincarnated-into-an-otome-game-as-the-female-antagonist/love rival/villainess story. Vya is the main character, the 'villainess' who is the 'heroine's' twin sister and who got separated from her family when the Lord of the Roess clan (one of the kingdom's 'four big clans') secretly adopted her so that she can be engaged to the prince (since the Roesses and the Royal family has this pact to have one of their children marry each other). Ever since she was young, Vya has dreams (nightmares, really) where she learns that the Prince will break off their engagement leading to a war, the Roess clan will lose, and she and her adoptive parents will die.

As of chapter 1, both of Vya's adoptive parents now know about the contents of her dreams. Ynevia (Vya's 'evil' mom and best chara evah) learned of it way earlier, and though she doesn't think that Vya is some kind of prophet, she understands that the situation might come true so she prepares for it.

THE ISSUE: If the Heroine is the main reason why the engagement gets cancelled leading to the political balance getting disrupted, Ynevia would get rid of her immediately, if not for the fact that it is the Lord Roess himself that is protecting her.

See, a few generations ago, (Vya's grandfather's time actually), there was a succession war for the throne when the last Queen of the former Royal Family of Lyil died. This Queen married a commoner and gave birth to a boy who didn't have a drop of magic in him. After her husband died, she married a guy from one of the 'kingdom's big clans' (that were five at that time) after being pressured by the council and gave birth to twins who took after their father (inherited his magic, not hers). When she died, her successor was her firstborn son, but the younger son and his supporters did not agree with this (since the heir wasn't a mage and everything) so they overthrew him. The Queen didn't have other relatives, and when the Ousted Heir died, the younger son's paternal family, the Cyrsthanheumm clan, became the new royal family.

The truth was that the Ousted Heir sired a child before he was killed off, which he entrusted to his good friend, the former Lord of the Roess House. The former Lord Roess was thought to have 'betrayed' the Ousted Heir, which wasn't true at all. He hid the child and her mother somewhere in the Roess territory, and when he retired he told this secret to his son and successor, Levian, the current Lord Roess (Vya's adoptive father). Levian has 3 goals: to protect the Roess family, to protect the bloodline of the Lyil Family, and if possible, to one day restore them to the throne. The Ousted Heir's daughter didn't have any magic either which made it easy to hide her, but when she got married and gave birth to twin girls, one of them had the trademark Lyil magic, the 'heroine', and the other was a deviant (didn't have the usual Wind, Fire, Earth or Water magic), Vya. To accomplish his goals Levian put a magical limiter on Heroine-chan to restrict and hide her powers, and adopted Vya. In doing this he would be able to protect Heroine-chan and her future children, engage Vya to the Prince and put her and her future children on the throne, and keep the pact between the Roess family and the Royal family! (Three birds with two stones!)

Also, Heroine-chan and Vya's father died when they were babies, and their mother dies when they're seven to ten years old, so Heroine-chan goes to an orphanage. According to the otome game plot, she will start attending the Academy as a scholar at 15 and get all these bishies to fall in love with her, inadvertently causes a war when she's 17, and becomes the Queen at 18 or something.

Ynevia wouldn't be able to kill Heroine-chan, but she needs to remove her as a threat in some other way. What would she do? Get her as a maid or something? Ynevia's plot must allow or cause Heroine-chan to attend the Academy as the otome game plot requires her to.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  9. RR Vocaloid

RR Vocaloid RoyalRoad.com Slepragt

Reading List:
    Link
    Break something at the academy itself and blame it on the heroine. That way, she thinks she got the heroine out of the academy but the academy forces the heroine to work as a servant there to pay off the damage. Aka, try to go against the plot but it backfires.

AliceShiki and iampsyx like this.
  10. iampsyx

Reading List:
    Link
    That. is. an. awesome. idea! Thank you very much! >w<

AliceShiki and RR Vocaloid like this.
  11. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem here is how they know who is the heroine? I try to reread but maybe family's name?

Secondary how much political influence the heroine have and there are someone backup her(so notice Ynevia and make a counterplan within the shadow to make sure she will not know about Heroine situation). This isn't info you need give to the reader now but it help you for the future plot.

12. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    How is this national?

13. iampsyx

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh...I didn't think of that lmao. Levian would know, but as for Ynevia...She could've dug around for info, or maybe she learns the Heroine's identity when Heroine-chan's mom dies and she goes to an orphanage, since Levian would do some stuff and reveal an opening. I don't think Vya's dreams would include the otome game characters' names and other specific info---just the general events and faces.

Before she enrolls in the Academy, she has zero influence. This will change when (politically powerful) boys start joining her harem, and the Prince discovers her real identity (this is the reason why he will cancel his engagement w/ Vya at the risk of war; he wants to give the throne to back to the 'real owner' lulz). He'll start looking around for the Lyil family's previous backers and loyalists.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  14. SpearOfLies

Reading List:
    Link
    @iampsyx How she enrolls the Academy?
    I don't think she can so easily enrolls from a orphanage. Maybe she join as servant and after find by prince(not blockable event) or she enrolls by someone. Regardless she will be center of attention so make move eill be harder.

15. sinyueliang

sinyueliang 『World Traveller』『Demon Slayer』『Hinokami』

Reading List:
    Link
    Levian funds her entry into the academy maybe?

yuzuki likes this.
  16. iampsyx

Reading List:
    Link
    There are 4 Big Clans who have the standard Water, Fire, Earth and Wind magic, right? And the royal family's would be Healing. As for the commoners, they can learn magic as well for Beast Taming, Herbalists, Merchants, (Visual Magic) Artists, (Auditory Magic)Musicians, (Body Strengthening Magic) Soldiers, etc. These kind of magic are taught and usually depends on the person's affinity and capability. Commoners who have backers (from noble houses) and are very talented can win scholarships. The former royal family, the Lyils, were very powerful mages who could use ALL magic (yeah, yeah, standard OP charas lol), and Heroine-chan's magic was only restricted to not to show the 4 Big Clan's magic. She can still learn 'commoner' magic though, and quite excels at it so she gets the scholarship. I still don't know who her backer is. I was thinking that the Roess family would take her in as a maid...

I think so too!

17. SpearOfLies

Reading List:
    Link
    @iampsyx So the Roess betrayal already started. Lol.

It's better choose someone else. Personally I will pick the prince (that kind of thing have more otome-vibe) but he don't know who she is yet. Because of this she will be target of bully/malice (the royal cannot touch the academy) and as well she will meet all other harem member. You can make Ynevia plans to make the Heroine break some taboo using her influence to small nobles but the prince decide to secretly make her as servant of Academy.

iampsyx likes this.
  18. iampsyx

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha no, Levian only did it because he was protecting her! >.<

Hmm...the Prince will meet her in the Academy though...Maybe I can turn it into another powerful noble instead.

19. SpearOfLies

Reading List:
    Link
    If they can add her as maid they also can kill her far easier instead of let her join the Academy. The thought to make your enemy near isn't bad but it will scare Vyan more.

iampsyx likes this.
  20. iampsyx

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm...something that would suit a standard otome game plot...How about they hire Heroine-chan as Vya's personal maidservant? So that Ynevia will be able to track her movements, and she'll be able to attend the Academy as well! XD