"NASA just announced several bounties to improve its FUN3D software "

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Hallow Cause, May 6, 2017.

1. Exterial

Exterial @pocketbear ,much oneesama, very friendly, kawaii.

Reading List:
    Link
    Considering how they have a budget in the billions and ond of their softwares isnt up to par and they want help 15k is waaaay to small like holy shit.

2. StormHawk

StormHawk I’m Back To Drop Bombs

Reading List:
    Link
    I would think this was a prank if it's April. Basically what NASA saying is, do the work for me, which will obviously get me millions and I'll pay you 15k, which is a piece of rice in a cup. If you are that smart to improve it then you're smart enough to earn more with your own individual projects.

3. Hallow Cause

Hallow Cause Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OK~
    the problem is, they're a huge and licensed company, and we're just people going through the internet looking for fun stuff.

4. StormHawk

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't think that all people on nets are just 'people' lol. Wile we like fun reading time, we know the important of money and intelligence. The net is just the perfect place to be childish and playful.

5. Mufarasu

Mufarasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've actually though a lot about this.
    Companies/Governments would post quests detailing what they want at a University or College where they'd be categorized by faculty on a public notice board, and students would be able to solve it for money/work placement. I imagine that instead of final exams students would try find solutions to the quests, and to pass they'd either have to solve it or put in a solid effort.

New quest takers would be able to look back on past attempts to make theirs better, so that eventually the quest would be competed thus speeding up progress and innovation.

There'd be stuff like creating new tech, mapping, wildlife observations, environment observations, machinery improvement, data collection, programming, etc.

blackhawkrider likes this.
  6. Hallow Cause

Reading List:
    Link
    Even if some people here are above ordinary. Do you seriously think they could compare to a company like NASA~?

7. StormHawk

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel stupid talking to you. When have NASA made improvements? They are restricted too much and has not been doing well since you were born. Even phone companies are doing better than them in their profession.

8. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    I only know some basic HTML, C++, CSS and MySQL. I feel like I'm at least a D-rank.

9. Hallow Cause

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm~ doing better than them in their profession~? For example~?

10. JadeWhiteSkin

JadeWhiteSkin please rescue~

Reading List:
    Link
    Whats with this S-Rank Quest giving only a E-Rank reward?? hate these kind of NPCs! totally not worth it even a simple 3 day programm earns like ~4-5k

11. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    You know, this offer is seriously one-sided. NASA has enormous advantage on this one. Countless people contribute then only two will be paid.

People who have the ability to improve their program significantly will not fall for something like this, they have brains. I imagine there will only be some half-assed programmers doing it. Even so, an improvement is still an improvement.

I do not know the actual story, but if this is a proprietary software, then fuck NASA. This should be an open source software. Everyone should make some profits out of it when they contribute.

12. Hallow Cause

Reading List:
    Link
    They're just crowd sourcing, whadya expect~? If I got to solve their problem, I would first sell it for more that 15k maybe 500k~?

13. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Linux "crowd sourcing" has never been like this, NASA is enslaving people.

Let me repeat myself, if it's a proprietary software, you have 0 right to your contribution.

Hallow Cause likes this.
  14. JadeWhiteSkin

Reading List:
    Link
    yep~ cant even sell since youre just optimizing.
    also its kinda impossible for most ppl to work on this alone since youd need advanced knowledge on programming AND need to be realllyyy good at physics so youre at best getting 7.5k even if you manage to get the 15k
    at least I would need someone to tell me all the fking rules of physics when working on this since i just know all the stuff up to university level and no further :/

Edit: and chemics

Astaroth likes this.
  15. zzz

zzz .

Reading List:
    Link
    i know right ?
    when i saw the reward, i was like, bah, not worth it, only 10-15k...........

i don't know what rank i am, but the job feels like at least S rank.........

16. JadeWhiteSkin

Reading List:
    Link
    OP lying to us :(
    "The HPFCC is supported by two NASA partners – HeroX and TopCoder – and offers two specific opportunities to compete. A prize purse of up to $55,000 will be distributed among first and second finishers in two categories"

well they could add another 0 to it and I'd be interested~
    that said im still pretty bad maybe B rank for bussiness software but anything else like D rank maybe so its nothing i can do anyways since they want a awhopping 100.000 times faster software (i could surely achieve 5-10% faster? :3 ).... *facepalm*

17. zzz

zzz .

Reading List:
    Link
    still it was only 55k divided for 2 winner, they should at least add more......

we really need some kind of adventurer (programmer) guild.......

edit :
    nope, i clicked the link, and the news said 10k and 15k, so probably 1st place = 15k.....

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  18. ChocoMonster101

ChocoMonster101 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You know this is why you should never let noble mages put a request in the quest board.

They think people with actual talent would actually bother to try an S rank quest with a D rank reward.

Someone should really shoot them down a peg or two.

19. zzz

zzz .

Reading List:
    Link
    i don't think it can even be called a D rank reward, more like E+ rank reward......

and the quest seem to be a fraud, its not S rank but SSS rank, cos they want a 100k times faster........

20. JadeWhiteSkin

Reading List:
    Link
    somehow Im really motivated to set up this kind of guild now....