Question Need advice for my current situation as a translator please

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Pocchi, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good luck... hopefully it ends with this. But whatever happens after this, your present decision is the best one for the given situation. :)

I wonder on which site, we'll see the changes.....

2. Shizun

Shizun 《Jack of all trades》《Artist/Author》《Dao of BLedia》

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree to the previous comments. Btw many Ppl forget why they started writing/translating in the first place, so one needs to remind oneself about it every time. To me it's mostly cuz i have fun doing what i do in writing and translating. If ur current situation doesn't make u happy and makes u forget ur goal in having fun in translating, then it's better to dismiss such editors who are the cause of it. I mean it's ur project in the end and they are the editors. Ofc it does sound rather mean to point it out like that but these are the facts. Without you what would they even edit? Sure, they have some credits to the editing, but editor is editor in the end. I guess they got ahead of themselves... happens in every part...

3. krrizis

krrizis Runs Ainushi, Read18 & Chaleuria

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry to hear the troubles that you're going through.

It's one thing to have an editor but another if they're very demanding and taking control of your projects.

You seem like a really nice person. I don't know much about your translation and your quality so I can't really tell for sure if you need an editor but seriously, fire the bugger. You can always get someone else to help you. Yes, quality might be different. Different editors have different editing styles. But ultimately, you're in control.

Do things because you like them. Not because someone tells you to.

4. SnowTime

SnowTime Busy Busy Busy, I Dug Too Many Holes

Reading List:
    Link
    I would honestly kick that editor.

My site is mine~ overall control is me~ o3o
    It's half my experiment site and place for chucking, and I'm paying for it too /o/

A good editor is hard to come by but not impossible! (Says the person who's infamous in some places for going around groups and borrowing editors in extreme time of need)

Are you in tlc~? It is possible to go and see if you can dig a few free editors that won't mind doing a chapter for you in their free time /o/

Not everyone can dig around in other tl groups for editors like me.... o3o

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    Shizun and Lonelycity like this.
  5. Pocchi

Pocchi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I had trouble sleeping last night because I was uneasy about how the situation escalated to this point.
    Posting was a way to settle myself and get my thoughts in order.
    Yes, it's also my fault for not taking control of the situation earlier.
    I was trying to be friendly to the people I would work with for the first time in this kind of setting.
    However, that's not really an excuse to let people step all over me.
    I have cooled down from reading through the comments and I thank you all once again for taking the time to share your thoughts.
    They were satisfying to read for me at least, it felt like I had an outlet for all these bottled up feelings.
    I thought I was being selfish for wanting to kick them and that I was making an impulsive decision because I was angry.
    Anyways, whenever my editor comes on, I will have an important discussion with them.
    Even if this was a job, you honestly can't pay me enough to deal with them.
    It will be unlikely we will reconcile because of how they are and how I realize I just don't want to work with them anymore.
    Whatever happens after this, I will take a short break and focus on my studies for a bit.
    After that, I will do things at my own pace and see how things go from there since that was what I originally enjoyed.
    Thanks,
    A very inexperienced translator

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    readerz, krrizis, pinkrainmi and 5 others like this.
  6. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    :hmm: If this was me I would be in trouble because I need my editor, lol. My punctuation is spotty. *cough*

My advice: start some people off as "beta readers" instead of editors. It's easier to get a few people to casually read over your stuff to spot the basic errors like typos than to get an editor.

Lonelycity, kenar and Pocchi like this.