Question Need help with Chinese sentence

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by AstralGhost, Jul 21, 2017.

1. AstralGhost

AstralGhost Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, can anybody help me with this sentence?
    "混元气,神贯通,聚则成型,散则成风!"
    "上混元,下混元,外混元,内混元,混元一浑元!"
    I translated it as: "Mixing Yuan Qi when thoroughly understood can take form when gathered, but when scattered am nothing but wind! Mixed Yuan, of the upper, lower, external and internal kind when merged together are actually all Heaven and Earth Qi!"
    But I don't really understand this sentence at all, so I can't help but feel that this is wrong...especially since my interpretation of it sounds so weird...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Wowafay likes this.
  2. Mistelteinn

Mistelteinn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Mixing Yuan Qi when thoroughly understood can take form when gathered, but when scattered am nothing but wind! Mixed Yuan, of the upper, lower, external and internal kind when merged together are actually all Heaven and Earth Qi!"

"When gathering and mixing Yuan Qi, only if it is thoroughly understood can it take form, otherwise, it (the Qi) will be scattered, gone like the wind. In truth, when mixing Yuan Qi, Heavenly, Earthly, External and Internal Yuan Qi can merge together to become Qi of the Heavens and Earth!"

Just my own take on it, may have some artistic interpretation...

3. st8_lupe

st8_lupe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When thoroughly understood, gathering Yuan Qi can take form or else it will just scatter like the wind.

4. AstralGhost

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks, that's a nice interpretation for the upper lower external and internal qi. :) I know my version looks really rough since it's a very rough translation, but I was just wondering if there's a different meaning to the sentence that I may have missed.

5. AwwGasm

AwwGasm Knows some things.

Reading List:
    Link
    The mixing of Yuan Qi, the threading of divine essence, assembled it takes form, scattered it becomes but wind.

Mix above, mix below, mix on the outside, mix on the inside, mix throughout hun yuan.

This one is very poetic and difficult because the sentence structure is mean to sound poetic, while also having various plays on words. imo it's impossible to translate perfectly because of the homonyms.

混元 (Hun Yuan) itself actually means 'origin of the universe' or 'time immemorial', whereas the author uses it as separate words, 混 (mix) 元 (Yuan). This is why he uses it without the 气 in the last occurrence and just as 混元.

浑元 (Hun Yuan) afaik is a reference to a martial arts stance, usually related to qigong. Sometimes I think its called 浑圆 as well. See: https://baike.baidu.com/item/浑元桩/12727827

syc likes this.
  6. AstralGhost

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks, any idea what the "above, below, inside and outside" mean?

7. SnowTime

SnowTime Busy Busy Busy, I Dug Too Many Holes

Reading List:
    Link
    Heaven, earth, within you, your surroundings?

8. AwwGasm

AwwGasm Knows some things.

Reading List:
    Link
    Just seems like the directions of the movement of the yuan qi or your actions. The entire thing sounds like an dramatic description for doing a breathing exercise. I assume this is how it looks like: