Recommendations Normal-ish/Underdog MC surviving Fantasy World

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by RaphiTheOne, Oct 11, 2017.

1. RaphiTheOne

RaphiTheOne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi all,
    See first 3 examples. Looking for a fantasy novel in preferably a survival environment where the MC struggles to survive among more powerful characters through the help of other more op characters, smarts, wits, really anything he can find a edge in. No turning OP MC. I want to read about his struggles and not how he grinds to steamroll everything.

-No OP MC or turning OP (at least before close to the ending of the novel)
    -No chinese-ish novels (Don't know why but I never liked Chinese novels except for Release that Witch)
    -No evil MC. Can be a bit ruthless if it's justified but I don't want the novel to be only about his revenge.

Exemples
    -Jujutsushi Wa Yuusha Ni Narenai
    -Re:Zero
    -Boku wa Isekai de Fuyo Mahou to Shoukan Mahou wo Tenbin ni Kakeru (The characters relied on his summons or allies to survive. Don't like when they became too op though.)
    -Shield Hero at the beggining
    -Nier Automata Fanfic (with a normal human as a character) (The story was too good, I wanted more. xD)
    -Fate series fanfic (when you have a normal Shirou trying to survive in the middle of epic battles.)
    -Konosuba (a bit far from the survival style but this one is simply too hilarious)

Will edit when I think of new stuff.
    Thanks for the help.

teasky likes this.
  2. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you need to look up what "evil" means if you think seeking revenge is evil.
    Seeking to kill the demon lord who tortured your entire village for years and then slaughtered them while making you watch and left you bleeding to death while laughing, all for fun? That is also seeking revenge and it has nothing to do with being evil.
    Practically every single MC out there is good or neutral.

3. RaphiTheOne

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess I somewhat put two concept in a single point. I'd argue that there is a difference between seeking justice and revenge but we're going off topic.
    Basically no character who enjoys making other suffers as a main theme. Like in Katahane no Riku where the girl wants to torture humanity for what our father did.

4. Agecaf

Agecaf Grand Archmathemagician

Reading List:
    Link
    Worm (western web novel). It's set in a modern world with superpowers, and the MC has the power of controlling bugs. It's one of the few novels where the battles are great since it focuses on team battles with multiple superpowers interacting (countering each other, enhancing each other). There's also a lot of "joining hands with your enemies to fight against greater evils", and the world has a huge range of moralities; from the purest light to the darkest black, with plenty of shades of gray in between. The MC is certainly a villain protagonist, but it's more of a "the ends justify the means" sort of villain, that is willing (though not happy) to do horrible things, if it serves a proper goal. She has good intentions, but can go a bit far with her means.

Also, maybe the beginning of Kumo desu ga, nana ki? MC reincarnates into a tiny spider deep in the most dangerous dungeon in the world. She does become OP, but it is a very slow and gradual process.

RaphiTheOne likes this.
  5. teasky

teasky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love your taste of novels because that exactly what I am also lookibg for. Mother of learning, savage divinity, the wandering inn are all good novels.

RaphiTheOne likes this.
  6. ogdyolnafets

ogdyolnafets Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Grimgar of fantasy and ash, it has an anime too

RaphiTheOne likes this.
  7. Yolo Swag

Yolo Swag Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you're out of luck with novels, raphi. stories with struggling, effort, suspense or anyone who can be stronger than the mc are very few. this style seems to be hated by most readers, authors and most important, translators. anyway, please consider those novels bellow: :LOL:

Apocalypse Cockroach
    Because Janitor-san Is Not a Hero
    God and Devil World
    The Iron Teeth: A Goblin's Tale (this one is on royalroadl )

RaphiTheOne likes this.
  8. RaphiTheOne

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks but though it fits the title of the thread, it doesn't really fit the description I was trying to give.

I'm looking for a normal MC like them but surviving among more powerfull character like the mages who get wrecked without there servants in the fate series.

Another serie I forgot I read was The Brave of the 6 flowers I think? Where Atlet is the only one in the group without a power or abnormal skill. He only have his training, knowledge and smarts to rely on.

ogdyolnafets and Yolo Swag like this.
  9. ogdyolnafets

ogdyolnafets Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh like gifting the wonderful world with blessings?

RaphiTheOne likes this.
  10. Synders

Synders La Persona Superiore a Dio

Reading List:
    Link
    RaphiTheOne likes this.
  11. RaphiTheOne

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes,

which I've already read, lol. Thanks.

Usually I prefer a more serious style but other styles are fine too as long as they are well done.

Konosuba is hilarious. (It also have good action at times.)

12. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Master of monster .

RaphiTheOne likes this.
  13. RaphiTheOne

Reading List:
    Link
    Already read but thanks.

Already know about Altina and Legend of the Continental Heroes but the rest looks interesting. It's a shame they have so few chapters. Thanks.

14. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Life is Soup, I am Fork

Reading List:
    Link
    Necromancer and Co on RRL, he's a normal guy put into bad circumstances in a new world. He isn't a stereotypical necromancer either, just building a skeleton army and barely fighting, he puts actual effort into things. He's pretty funny too, you'd like it, not OP and good friends.

15. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link