Recommendations Novel or manga with Anti-hero, evil or not so heroic protagonist

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by aerd2, Feb 13, 2016.

1. aerd2

aerd2 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looking for a protagonist who isn't heroic fool helping everyone he/she meets. Oh fck it I'll just make a list what I'd like to see and not. 2 last points aren't necessary.

What I'd like to see:
    • Protagonist somehow strong at the beginning. Don't get me wrong it doesn't have to be an op level of strength.
    • I prefer fantasy setting, but it doesn't bother me if it's modern or sci-fi.
    • Protagonist isn't a pussy who is afraid of everything at the beginning or at least stops being a pussy really fast.

• Anti-hero or evil or neutral protagonist. I'm just tired of these selfless charity protagonists who help everyone.
    • No stupid, ignorant protagonist. Doesn't have to be on a genius level but at least has to be somewhat intelligent.
    • Something that makes protagonist different from everyone. Can be everything. It can be race, power, intellect, mindset, skill or even eye color. This point is not necessary
    • Shunned or hated or feared protagonist. This point is not necessary.

PS: I don't mind many hated, unpopular traits like: Yuri, yaoi or gender-bender as long as it's not main focus of plot.

2. Phantom Starlight

Phantom Starlight The Guiding Light

Reading List:
    Link
    Have to agree. I am tired of naive idealistic protagonists who have everything unrealistically turn out for them because they are the goodguys.

3. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
  6. GM_Rusaku

GM_Rusaku Neptune-sama's Devoted Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    Elven Blood, was translated By Krytyk, only one volume was translated.

7. Ogami-kun

Ogami-kun 『Blue Shadow ensnaring demons』『FA sect disciple』

Reading List:
    Link
  8. DrkStrkr

DrkStrkr Renowned apostle of Nekomimi

Reading List:
    Link
    re incarnator as of the latest chaps

9. Aure94100

Aure94100 French Cultivator from the No-Time Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    In Xanxia world, I would recommend "Martial Emperor Reborn". It's a reincarnated expert from another world who has a totally cheat way to enhance his cultivation in this new world. He is evil, ruthless, tyrant ... a real REAL bad guy ! :)
    Like usual, he is reject at the beginning but he easily regain his place in the big clan and became the rich bad guy nutured by the big family that you usually see in other xanxia novels but not from the same point of view.

In Japanese novels, I suppose "Arifureta" (the first volumes) isn't a bad deal. I fact, I was really impressed by the quality of the story. After that, I don't know ... but I would at least recommend the early volumes of this story.

Finally, I think you should take a look at "Hell King". It just begun but it could become something interesting in the futur.

10. Aure94100

Aure94100 French Cultivator from the No-Time Sect

Reading List:
    Link
  11. insyder1201

insyder1201 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Shaolin likes this.
  12. bhagoezt

bhagoezt Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  13. Diukes

Diukes The Details will be omitted

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, i recommende last one too :)
    As description said: " Touno Hifumi was summoned to another world, to be a Hero for a kingdom. Unbeknownst to the summoners, he’s a kill-happy person who restrained his killer instincts with martial arts. Upon arrival he slaughter various knights and the mastermind of the event, the King. Unwilling to oppose this strong killer, the Princess let him go free. Thus start the fun life of travelling the world, unrestraintly killing any who attempt to kill him."

14. Night

Night Immoral member

Reading List:
    Link
    Search with tag "xianxia" .. All mc was anti-hero,they will kill if the word "trash" come out ..

Legendary Zathura and false like this.
  15. ikeiyr

ikeiyr Member

Reading List:
    Link
  16. GluttonGirl

GluttonGirl Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The epic tale of the forsaken hero, enjoy!

17. RandomComment

RandomComment Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As many already said, Yobidasa should be an auto-include in your reading list, from what you've asked. Nidome no Yuusha is a good one. Arifureta is ok to some extent, but the MC is ultimately still doing good. He isn't a goody 2 shoes charity like other heroes, but I would hesitate to classify him as an anti-hero.
    Also,
    http://www.novelupdates.com/series/maou-no-hajimekata/
    This doesn't have a lot of translated chapters and the manga isn't too far ahead either, but this might interest you. Its a lot of actual h-scenes but the MC is pretty much a full blown villain. Imagine a maou that doesn't make template mistakes (like waiting in their castles for the hero to get stronger and reach them, instead of killing the weak hero off. you know, standard maou stuff)

18. raj612023

raj612023 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    where can i find this novel adnventurer's guld card.........

19. AndrewOrion

AndrewOrion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Until Death Do Us Part - Manga, anti hero.
    One of the MCs is a blind swordsman vigilante. He has no qualms about cutting up bad guys.
    So, he is a terrifying master swordsman in modern times, he kills people, even though he is blind he walks through armies of professional mercenaries and leaves none alive, did I mention he is blind(sound unique to me).
    Worm - Web Serial(western) anti hero? villain? neutral? hero?
    The author summed it up best when he sub titled it 'Doing the wrong things for the right reasons.)
    MC starts off as a C rank hero power user. She figures out terrifying ways to use her powers and becomes the leader of one of the most powerful factions of villains. This is a horrible description, but if you want dark, this is for you. Some points get so dark, you need to keep some comedies on stand by to maintain your sanity
    Slaughterhouse 9(some of, if not, the most horrible super powered serial killers in fiction), End of the world, death of half the named characters, and
    MC shooting a baby, one of her team mates sisters, in the head in an attempt to save the world. I marked it as a spoiler for a reason
    Taint - Web Serial(western)
    The MC is the epitome of neutral. She only cares about finding her family. And if she just so happens to kill the people who ruined her life and a few thousand civilians along the way, it's not her problem. She needs to survive through the most horrible circumstances, while conserving her magic power which is the only thing keeping her alive. This makes her become terrifying in the application of magic.

20. Mizura

Mizura Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm, you already have Overlord on your reading list.

Recommendations:
    • Hn? You don't have Dungeon Defense on your list? Although he's not strong himself, he's practically cheat-level in terms of manipulating others, and that more than over-compensates.
    • The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich: I see it's on your list. Start reading this if you haven't. He's already nearly destroyed the world once and isn't afraid to cause mayhem and destruction for the greater(?) good, and he does so both through mind-boggling scheming and war (usually both at the same time).
    • Running Away From The Hero: heh, the protagonist is this guy who did all he can to ensure a comfortable life with a petty official within an evil organization. Except he inadvertently trains the hero, and then some. He actually Is strong and competent though, the strongest character that's unable to use magic or 'life sword', and despite his retirement aspirations, he was fine killing a bunch of people when they went after him.
    • Read The Girl Who Ate a Death God that's already on your list. She's basically on the 'antagonist' side and mows opponents down like a death god. You can also check out the author's other stories.
    • Also Youjo Senki that's also on your list. It's true that the protagonist only wants a nice safe job, but to obtain it she doesn't flinch at mowing down enemies. It's a bit upsetting how 'god' keeps trolling her though.
    • Since you don't mind (some) Yuri, check out Qualia the Purple (manga). It's basically this girl who goes insane and starts (sort of) dimension-hopping (quantum physics thing) and becoming OP after her friend dies.
    • Gomen ne, Onii-sama: girl gets reincarnated as a villain, plays out her villain role Completely for the sake of the protagonist's development.
    • Akuyaku Tensei Dakedo Doushite Kou Natta.: I put this last because you want someone who is already strong, whereas in this series the protagonist is built up Very gradually. She's no wuss though, she's fine with torturing or killing anyone who isn't from her domain. She is Hella shunned/hated/feared.