Discussion Novel Pet Peeves...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Goblin Sleuth, Mar 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    In Chinese, when someone says 他 meaning he, it sounds like the word 她 which is she. They both sound the same resulting in when someone says he/she and the listener doesn't know which, they would normally express it as 他 which is he so I'm pretty sure that is what the TN trying to say about how the author writes the word he but is trying to express gender neutrality because the speaker in the story doesn't specify if it is male or female.
    But still, don't blame those poor TNs. Not all TNs are equally skilled. Some are better than others.

2. CrazyFrog

CrazyFrog Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My First is when an author steals an scene from an other novel but the I mean a complete steal almost like a copy where the same type of character doing the samething in the same place as the original work.
    While if the author can put focus on it´s own unque detales it can still be good, but other times it only makes the author seam lazy and witout imagination raising the question if it's worth reading at al

3. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Using fillers to provide build ups to an event which kills the excitement and makes the actual event so dull and boring.

4. CharLok

CharLok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. when authors try to make their characters seem "real" but just end up turning them into super angst teens
    2. when the characters actions don't make sense, not just by the fact that they're dumb but when their actions contradict the very personality of the character that the authors was trying to get across
    3. trying to justify something when its clearing wrong in every level of sense and say that its fine because the didn't REALLY hurt them, or that it's romance, (for example rape or murder) especially when they try to present the main character as the HERO but what they do isn't much different from the villains. (you know that's actually fine and all, BUT THEN THE CHARACTER IS ACTUALLY A DUMB PIECE OF SHIT THAT THINK HE'S BETTER CAUSE HE'S A NARCISSISTIC IDIOT).
    g
    4. Chinese romance novels and their black belly trope, especially when the authors make way to show a strong female character who's intelligent, but is actually, also dumb shit because of pride and stuff (and why are almost all of them assassins!!!), and then they decide that they'll need to add in an EVEN STRONGER male character despite clearly trying to make the female op is fuck. and don't really mind which character is stronger, but then the male is dominant as hell and then the author tries to present the romance between the two of them when it makes 0 sense, they try to make it seem REALLY romantic because apparently the male is cool and all because he invades her personal space and doesn't try to kill her.
    i don't really care about their physical strength too much when it comes to romance, since i'm more about character interactions and development when it comes to romance, but these authors have none of that!!! its just *slap bang in your face, hey!!! i think this is cute although it makes no moral or logical sense and is utterly annoying!!*

5. EVERYTHING ABOUT THE IMPERIAL PRINCESS ACCIDENTALLY SEDUCED HER HUSBAND - this novel itself is the definition of my pet peeves

6. Certain readers - do i even have to say? Honestly i swear 80% of the readers here have never picked up a proper book, i don't mean to say i've read a lot of books and you of course, don't need to read an actual book to enjoy web novels since there is a lot of talent amongst the writers of the web, but just skimming through one or two more traditional copies will give you a better insight on how plots are made, come readers views of story writing are just so limited that they actually end up bashing potentially good web novels just because they're not used to their style of writing thus claiming it boring or badly written. Sometimes even complaining about the characters because their not COOL enough for them. Guys, not every writer or author is trying to write a wish fulfillment novel or perfect character. Give it CHANCE.

i remember a good novel on royalroadl called "They lie forgotten" by no means was it perfect and by no standards was its utterly amazingly satisfying, i had times where i was frustrated reading the book and seeing how things ended up playing out, but i still believe it was pretty good. The plot of well structured, it made sense, didnt try to justify the main character or the other characters too much. It was also rather unique.

but lots of people gave it low stars and degrading reviews because they were frustrated that the MC wasn't getting stronger or that he was too pacifist etc. whilst i personally would also wish that the mc would have gotten stronger and the other characters developed better, there were flaws all over the place, but nonetheless i thought it was a well structured, well paced and thought out novel that had a stable foundation. lots of readers on the web don't see the wider picture or the subtle details that lots of potentially good books have but 10 minute fame novels don't.

and wow, soz, this sounds like a hate comment, an essay with bad punctuation, lol.

mir and Action like this.
  5. MrNebulist

MrNebulist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate it when an author writes a novel similar to pmg and mga.
    I also hate it when an author tries to include the synopsis in the title . Genius Doctor: Black Belly Miss and Invincible Saint ~Salaryman, the Path I Walk...are good examples.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  6. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    "smart" MCs that become dumber than a brick and filled with absolute denial of reality, and not the good chuuni sort of denial, to give them a character flaw so the author can overuse the hell out of a situation. i'm also shocked there are ZERO characters that snap and start strangling the MC for being so annoying. it's not modesty, they're not trying to be considerate, can't even be called uninformed. they seriously need someone to bitchslap reality into their thick skulls. preferably with a brick, just for comparison purposes of course.

i also hate reading while having some asshat or another talking on the phone, and very loudly at that, behind/next to me, but that's hardly the novel's fault. (guess what i'm listening to right now while writing this. *cough*)

7. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    Japanese honorifics

mir likes this.
  8. Penultimate

Penultimate Sect Silkpants Prince

Reading List:
    Link
    But honorifics are cool, senpai. Onii-chan sounds much more kawaii than big brother!

9. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    I nearly gagged

10. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep. Agreed.
    CharLok already said it well, so instead of rewriting basically the same idea, my agreement with this will be my contribution to this thread.
    Also this:
    Same. :sick:
    I mean, I didn't mind at first, but slowly over time, I began to mind. And then several chapters full of what Penultimate wrote came along and passed my threshold. So now I mind.

11. Shiroikaze42

Shiroikaze42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Poorly written characters. This doesn't include random side-characters or one-off characters so much of course. However it very strongly includes the main character(s) of a novel. This could be that they're one-dimensional, don't have clear motivations, do things that are completely nonsensical for their character, don't act as if they have human qualities at all, or other such things. The characters need to feel like people, and that means making them complex. If the characters are some flawless superhumans, or they have only one mode of conduct, or they're only passively going through the story, or they never change even slightly, then it heavily takes away from the reading experience.

2. Stories that don't go anywhere or have no point. Even a comedy based daily life story can have a purpose or meaning behind it, yet I've read a few which seem to have absolutely no substance to them. Like, I don't care how cliche or silly the story is, as long as the author has some sort of intent behind it. Sadly they sometimes don't. Wish fulfillment fantasies often end up this way, for example. I find these to be a waste of time. Typically if I find a story like this, I'll start reading while enjoying the premise, and then nothing of any importance happens for several chapters before I finally realize "OH! It's just gonna keep going like this until the author decides to stop writing." Then I stop reading. Because I've read all I need to.

12. aattss

aattss Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Slavery. So, I was reading a JP WN about how innocent people are magically marked for life as slaves, and punishments involve torture and rape, and the OP MC responds by making a waifu slave his to protect her from people who might abuse her. No. Fuck that noise. Dispel the slave magic and murder the Slave Guild. Or if you're going for subtle, you can do something complicated, like inventing an easy to use counter spell to the slave magic and spread it around. Maybe the MC can't do anything about it, but don't have him just go "Oh well. Anyway, now to gain ownership of this slave who will definitely not become my waifu." On the other end, the harem-esque thing where the girl (who just met the MC) wants to be the MC's slave or whatever, or the MC's new slave falls in love with the MC. I'd prefer it if the slave was an actual person with her own thoughts and feelings. I'd rather the MC just requested sexual favors, rather than get sex because he's such a nice guy (who owns slaves).

13. Amaury1514

Amaury1514 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When the author proceeds to explain the same thing from 30 different angles.

14. SilverThiec

SilverThiec Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just because you hold certain beliefs doesn't mean others do, I consider demons to be a hell of a lot better than angels, I consider angels selfish and immature.

15. NGCleric

NGCleric Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not surprised with the way they are often portrayed. Which is kinda my point. Angels are suppose to be good (not selfish) while demons/devils are suppose to be evil (and not only claimed to be evil because they are fighting against manipulative, obviously evil angels).

16. Shiroikaze42

Shiroikaze42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not really about beliefs, he's saying it's an overused trope, which I agree with. It's an attempt to subvert expectations by making the angels (typically defined by society as good) into the bad guys, and demons (typically defined by society as bad) the good guys. Except it's done so often that everyone expects it. There's no subversion of expectations. It's like writing a murder mystery and making the butler the culprit.

17. crossover

crossover Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    a few pet peeves of mines:
    -mc setting up enemies to be raped/sexually abused/enslaved etc.(imo that's worse than murder)
    - rape victims falling in 'luv' w/ rapist
    -ridiculous amount of drama
    -have way too many different short plots that jump around a lot, and aren't connected logically/meaningfully(which long novels with thousands of chapters are guilty of doing the most)
    -have too much filler
    -summary claims the mc (of any gender) is strong or some other character trait, but when you actually read the story, the mc is the total opposite of what the summary claims.

18. Qt

Qt Qt is cute

Reading List:
    Link
    Skill steal MC who gets the proficiency. Damage modifier I can understand, but proficiency of that skill?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.