Novel Reviews/Ratings

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Deante, Jul 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deante

Deante Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So i go on the latest release tab to look at some new novels that i might be interested in, and i see novels that have like 1 or 2 release with a rating of 3.8 or 3.9 and i click on the novels too see that novel has no reviews and the majority of the novels ratings are 1star from anon people. many people pass up on a lot novels like these, which hurt the translator.
    I think NU needs to make it where you cant give a novel rating without writing a review and by doing that you'll be able to see who actually read the novels and people who just give 1star for no reason

( i know i could just read the novel for myself and determine whether or not i like the novel but that's not the problem i'm addressing)

2. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    There are so many people who just don't write reviews. And you can't expect everyone to write a review before they are allowed to rate it.

I honestly don't know any site that does that, it would stop so many people from giving it a rating simply because they don't care enough to write a review.
    1-left click to pick a rating out of 5 is far easier than writing a full review.

Edit: NU just has people who go around giving 1-stars based on tags. General rule of thumb is to ignore ratings (unless they are 3.5 or lower imo, then give it some amount of credence) and just read the reviews.
    No one should be posting reviews until there is a fair amount of chapters (up to debate but id say 30 - 40 minimum) unless they are just giving you first impressions and make that clear.

AliceShiki, Blitz, Haevrus and 5 others like this.
  3. Haevrus

Haevrus No.1 Incognito Webuser

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's face it.
    Not everyone in this world are saints.

You see "NTR", " Yaoi" , "tragedy" or something else.
    One star without mercy.
    They don't even read the whole books. All it matters is just one chapter, or one tag and sometimes even one sentence (I have seen it). And the whole DAMN book becomes cancerous for them.

But if I really find someone do that in front of my "eyes", infinite roasting without mercy.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  4. Relken

Relken Unknown Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's be honest here most people don't even like reading novels with a short amount of chapters unless the translator is a beast who puts them out fast or is totally consistent. Hoping for good reviews before a novel is even interesting or started is ridiculous. It would have to be completely unbearable for me to write a review before a certain number of chapters usually 50-60 unless it's really REALLY bad.

Viola likes this.
  5. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    If you have to write a review to leave a rating, people will just write "a review" or "blank" or something to that effect. otherwise ratings will just stop happening and feedback will stop.

Viola likes this.
  6. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    Never trust reviews, or only partially trust them. Just read them if you think it's interesting, to be honest.
    People trolled more than the serious ones.

7. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    and also, people have different tastes and opinions, make reviews even more unreliable. On the other hand, if you see a review by someone who's opinion you trust, it can actually be helpful

runsing likes this.
  8. Midnight Coffee

Midnight Coffee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually ignore novels with rating below 4 stars, and if it's Japanese novel, I will pump that number to 4.3 for obvious reasons.

9. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This post make a good point of what would happen if the suggestion is implemented.

AliceShiki, Slayerwolfx2 and SenjiQ like this.
  10. FAiri110

FAiri110 Your Secret Stalker

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm one of those people who rarely wrote a review. I only wrote one when: 1) A novel is completed; 2) The story is so interesting and I disagree with some of the reviews in NU; 3) Too little review & people are missing a gem.

Personally, I think instead of 'forcing' readers to write a review just to rate is such a bother. Just limit those who have a novel in a reading list to be allowed to rate said novel is better.

arashi-chan12 likes this.
  11. lordgrim29

lordgrim29 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I never go with ratings nor care about reviews I read it and judge it myself

12. naviet

naviet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think rating novel should range 1 to 10. Range 3.8 to 4.3 too vague too be evaluate novels.
    It gonna better if it had several parameters to evaluate novels more objective like story, quality translation,, genre, speed translation, etc.

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  13. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link
    why would I waste a minute or two of my life writing a meh review telling you why a novel is shit? I rarely rate novels anyways, too much work :v

I agree on 1-10 scale tho, 1-5 is too limiting

14. JinVodka

JinVodka 「Back to Work Back to Suffering _(-ω-`_)⌒)_」

Reading List:
    Link
    Sigh~ I also hate those guys who just pointlessly put 1 star to some novels that has potential sigh~
    Guess if they are going to give 1 star they should be obligated to review their reasons

15. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't believe people would still take ratings and reviews seriously.

16. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why are other people's reviews bothering you? If you like the novel then that's fine. Ever think there's reason for a novel to be low rated? Not all of the bad rating and reviews are people making it up, so there has to be a reason for the novel to be low rated.

17. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Most people don't care between a 5 or a 10.
    I think it would be more trouble than its worth to change but meh... I don't really care. It's all the same to me.

Story: Yeah
    Quality: Yeah
    Genre: What? Rating it's genre?
    Speed: Maybe. This is a bit of a tough one. You'll just get a bunch of self entitled brats who rate it lower because it doesn't match the speed of OMA or DB. Good intentions but based on the amount of threads and posts I see about people bitching that if it isn't atleast 2 releases a day the project needs to be handed off someone else... I think that rating category will be largely unrepresentative of the truth. This is why on the Novels home page NU has a release rate that averages out its releases per day for you.

AliceShiki likes this.
  18. Ninth Mountain

Ninth Mountain Bezgranichnyy

Reading List:
    Link
    Only read the reviews that sound like they're written by smart people. Then you're good

19. Rosver

Rosver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the first few chapters of the novel is when its rating fluctuates a lot. I actually seen it. One day its almost 3, then next day its almost 5 and then its goes low again. The rating only become steady after a few months or so when there are a number of chapters or the translator goes bye-bye.

A rating of a fresh novel is really unreliable so don't take it seriously. In fact, even if the novel is old, don't rely to much on the rating.

As for people passing up on the novels... its more of the fault of the tags. NTR, Harem, Genius Male, etc. would have many people scurrying away. This is just normal. We have our own preferences.

This is a terrible idea.

20. Rosver

Rosver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think that this makes much of a difference. If you look at the ratings you will see that it has a strong tendency to be binary. The rating mostly are 1 or 5.

If you change it from 1 to 10, then the rating would propably be mostly 1 or 10.

Also, changing the rating to 1 to 10 scale will not make it less vague. It still is a number that doesn't actually say any detail about the quality of the story.

Uh, would be helpful in writing a review, but, I think many people would just leave most of it blank. Nor would this makes things more objective.

AliceShiki likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.