Novel Updates Next Feature

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Tony, Mar 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fosk91

Fosk91 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do, but what's the point of hiding previous chapters in the first place?

2. FalkorUnlucky

FalkorUnlucky Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When multiple groups release the same chapter they should be grouped up instead of all spread out.

3. Ghostlin

Ghostlin Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd like to have a "start reading" button for novels, with a direct link to the first chapter from the best translator(some novels have been retranslated a few times) of said novel, since it's a pain on mobile to scroll to the last page of releases if the novel has a lot of translated chapters

4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    IIRC those novels were translated before and then the translations were taken down, the page is still there for archiving purposes.
    NU is neutral, it cannot say any translator is the "best".

5. Grenore

Grenore 《Member》

Reading List:
    Link
    that might be, but is it necessary to keep it in NU, since its already years passed for some of these dead novels, although it doesn't matters to me, but sometime looking at some that got fancy names, but getting inside to see it only got description and nothing else...........

6. Teivel

Teivel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if it has been mentioned, but I've thought that recommendations should go both ways;
    ie. If I say that novel X is like novel Y, then novel Y should also say that it's like novel X, but I noticed that it doesn't happen...

I don't know how difficult it is to implement, but I've had to make recommendations in both novels so people see my recommendation in both...

7. Soneka

Soneka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if someone proposed this before, but I will say it anyway.
    I wish there was a special list that I could put RRL novels. I know I could use the notepad, but I think it would be better if it was all in this site.

8. admira

admira Dino Pirate

Reading List:
    Link
    Reading List ideas:
    • "Select all" button for filling *all* the check boxes in a reading list (easy, I currently use JS to do this externally)
    • Ability to reorder lists (right now, very painful to rearrange my lists)
    • Give each list one of 3 labels: Reading, Completed, and Dropped/Hide.
      • Reading: default, for currently reading
      • Completed: mostly cosmetic
      • Dropped/Hide: users don't count towards # of readers, releases don't show up on updates feed and search results
      • Maybe show these in 3 separate groups of lists? (different tab sets/pages) Or, hide the Completed and Dropped lists when first viewing the Reading List, with a link or button that reveals them.
    Also, the ability to hide releases from certain groups (applies to main page and reading list notifications). For example, when 2 translators are doing the same series, but one is 100+ chapters behind the other. I don't want to have the releases that are behind showing up as unread updates.

P.S. Tony, we love you for sticking with us!

9. Lteam

Lteam Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, we're all a scholar when we need to be. Re-learning only helps to harden our foundation and grow to a swelling height allowing us to break through the heavens and above.

I can see your point, but that's also what I'm asking for in a sense. If a person is looking for V5C3 part 2 that's what should be on the tab. It's going to be sloppy but it might help people find certain chapters faster?

What I meant was being brought to the chapter tab where you stopped reading so after reading said chapter you can continue to read the following chapters. An example would be you reading a novel that has 100 chapters listed, but you're on chapter 50, so you are taken to whichever tab chapter 50 with just a click. Does that make sense? I'm sorry if it doesn't, maybe I should make a visual?

Not sure if we're on the same page, but I was referring to something close to LIKE-ing a single, or multiple, chapter, hence the icon next to said chapter instead of the whole novel.

Yes! This is exactly what I was thinking. Basicly taking the first and last chapter number/word in chapter tab and listing that as the tab so [C1024 - C1039]

Mm, was not aware of this. Clicking random icons sometimes has bad effects. My mistake. But on another note, IF could be changed to WHEN possibly? A novel goes up and after 3-5 chapters NUBot comes in and makes a LCD/Spoiler thread for said novel. NUBot can then grab the Description and place that in the post along with maybe the picture if it has one? Spit-balling here. Excuse the mess.

Is that so? Then how about a different review scale. Instead of just 1-5 stars it's all based on certain topics. Now that I'm on that, what if you used the Genre as the rating topics. I.E.
    *How Action packed is it; [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
    *How Funny is it; [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
    *How is the Romance; [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

This makes it so whoever is Mr. 1-Star has more work AND allows the readers to judge how much the genre of the novel is acting a thing. Just because a story has fights once in a while makes it Action? But what if the main focus is actually on Humor(Hence Comedy)? That allows the tags to change from the Alphabetical nature that it is now to a more reader friendly one. I.E
    Genre
    [Comedy] [Slice of Life] [Romance] [Fantasy] [Action]

More like the translators take on the story. A more mellow story description then the vague descriptions we get. I.E.
    Author's Description
    Mr. Man-man is plays hooky one day and discovers something he shouldn't have. Read on as he realizes there's no way out.
    Translator's Description
    Our Main characters, Man-man, decides to ditch work one day and discovers a mob hit. Now next on the hit list he has to make friends and outwit foes as he tries to live just one more day.

I just really hate how some descriptions are kinda off and more to get a reader to read only to not actually be what they're into.

As for how they would verify, maybe have it as a *Group* under one user? And then, from there, they get divided into Novel titles. I.E.
    Red Tanslations Translators;
    Lteam
    - Mob Boss Man-Man
    Zummo - Col. Spice
    Team22 - Mob Boss Man-Man

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  10. Darkaeluz

Darkaeluz 『Whosays25 Onii-chan』, 『He who gave up on Love』

Reading List:
    Link
    then first should be the unification of numbering systems for the chapters for a better sorting right?

11. H4WK

H4WK Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't thing there is a current way to do this, but it would be nice to be able to rearrange our reading lists. The only current way to do this that I know is to create another list (which will then appear as the last list), move all books into it, then delete the original.
    Also, being able to flag or make a note on certain chapters in books would be really convenient for rereading purposes.

12. gokrad

gokrad Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The obvious one is to let us order the reviews by date and likes , i know that you have those but they don't actually WORK. They only order by date or random and not by how many people licked each review . I want to see the most liked review and go down from there ..
    Second , i wish if there was a order by rated novels and not just popular by month/week, make the site show us the top rated novels on the site .

13. Akken

Akken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would just like the ability to uncheck a series if I accidentally check a release on the main page. I don't want to have to shove them in a hidden list to stop series from being highlighted after a missclick.

14. Slaynbr

Slaynbr {Scholar} Asylum's Oji-chan |StormBringer| Ossan

Reading List:
    Link
    if you missclick, just go in your reading list and remove it. You can do it in the page of that novel too.

AliceShiki and Akken like this.
  15. Akken

Akken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah... I never noticed them going into the reading list, now I feel silly.

16. Auryjhine

Auryjhine [Race : Great Lion] [Statuts effect : Half-awake]

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    You can choose the page you want to go when you click on the three points.

17. Gorsum

Gorsum Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1)
    On a novels page, default the page for "Latest Release" to be the page of the last read chapter. For example if I am on v23c18 of The Desolate Era, when I click on the link for the series it should default to page 4. If I start a new novel it is annoying to try to keep track of the last read chapter after chain reading 10 -15.

Auryjhine likes this.
  18. Slaynbr

Slaynbr {Scholar} Asylum's Oji-chan |StormBringer| Ossan

Reading List:
    Link
    nah, you don't have to feel this way hahaha.
    I learned a lot in this thread too, a lot of things that I never noticed.
    Alas, you can solve your missclick problem by enabling the favorites in the global settings, if you do it, the releases of the novels that are in the list you select will be displayed separated in the main page (releases page), so you'll have a hard time clicking in a novel you aren't reading.

19. muegin

muegin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't use the forums that much. But a nice thing to possibly add is a colored post for the thread creator (instead of the gray, with black text). It would make finding posts from you (tony) much easier. Or making your posts (like staff members, etc) a different color.
    This would be more useful than, say, a tag of "staff member"
    Also, it would be cool to buy said post colors...

20. Aurega

Aurega Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Filtering on the main page would be wonderful, that way i can select genres or tags I want and have it only show series with those tags. Option to exclude tags would be great too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.