Novel Updates Next Feature

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Tony, Mar 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zzz

zzz .

Reading List:
    Link
    @Tony : am i late for feature suggestion ?

if not then :
    1. please add a heart mark next to the chapter list, for each chapter, so that i can mark my favourite chapters for re-reading.....

2. and also a feature where we can manually set how many chapters is listed on each page....

edit 1 :
    3. oh and more icon for the reading list, the icon right now is lacking.......

edit 2 :
    4. and please set the list on the reading list based on the time it was added, and not by both the time and alphabet...... i meant when its sorted by latest release.....

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  2. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Wouldn't creating such a unnecessary query for the database eventually slow down the site?
    IMO, you're better off using Pocket or another read-it-later kinda addon for your browser for that. Or paste links to your favs to a file or something. @Tony 's got plenty of work with more necessary requests already.
    Also, you mentioned (in another thread) you're an IT guy yourself, can't you make a userscript that does that for yourself?

Do you mean than the 81 choices over here are not enough for you?

I agree. It was already suggested by a few people, IIRC, including me.
    The current "workaround" reply I got from other users was to use the favorite list instead. (It's not the same, I know.)

3. zzz

zzz .

Reading List:
    Link
    from what someone told me, a lot of people are also asking for that, so i think its necessary....
    well... 1st of all, i don't like having plenty of bookmark, it makes my mobile chrome acting weird, and well... i'm just too lazy to do that, if i wasn't lazy, i think i would have also made a lot of things........

yup, not enough, because some of the icon are just silly, and why not enough because i want to separate my fav list by tier, with #1 fav, till least fav, and obviously novels that goes to least fav, most likely will be dropped.......

edit :
    its like a last chance, if the story didn't seem to improve, then its over......

yup, its one of the most wanted feature......

4. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    Tony is it possible to see if we already edited the tags or the recommendation on the Main page of a novel just like on the ratings?

5. NRAmember

NRAmember Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For manual reading list, a way to have novels that you're following that get a new release highlighted, like having the whole like show in a color that stands out.

Or a way to track if a series has been updated recently without requiring you to mark it as read up until current release
    This would be helpful for people who have series that they're considering reading, but have not had a release in several months that they are up in the air as to whether they feel like starting a novel that the translation stalled and run into a cliffhanger.

6. majestix1988

majestix1988 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Update the Current Review & Rating System due someone abusing it(or just trolling it)..... some novels like new ones are subjected to get lower scores early(its better all rating and review must be one to fix this issue(do the review first then rate it)

7. zzz

zzz .

Reading List:
    Link
    that reminds me, maybe its better that reader can only review a novel, if he / she has added it to his reading list, and has read at least a medium sized chapter numbers(discuss able), so that people that do reviews, at least have read the novels, and also already has the novel for at least a number of days in his/her reading list,

i know this still open to abuse, but i think this at least can reduce the abuse

MangoGuy likes this.
  8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a problem for novels with a small number of chapters or just plain one-shots I'd say.

Though it could be solved with it needing to be made in a % of the chapters already released... Unsure.

MangoGuy likes this.
  9. zzz

zzz .

Reading List:
    Link
    that's why i said its discuss able, so the chapter requirement is different for each novels, and for long running novel, the chapters requirement is obviously a lot more.....

with this method, at least the trolling is reduced......

10. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally,for me..the only thing I would lie to see like an 'immediate' change would be with the boxes in the main page.With slow internet and bad touchscreen, a lot of alien novels get added.I feel like,if you ticked a box and you retick it,then it will go back to the last chapter you ticked.So,if you dont read the series,the series will automatically be thrown out of your list...

11. tintasa

tintasa Member

Reading List:
    Link
    please add next chapter if available on the reading list, aside from the last chapter and last checked box. thanks

12. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    Go to your reading list. Do you see the icons on the right?
    [Book] opens up a popup with 1. current chapter, 2. next chapter, 3. +1 4. +1. So you have links for 3 next chapters (well, releases) available.
    [Refresh] updates your reading status to the latest release. Don't click it unless you're all caught up.

Shio, tintasa and Slaynbr like this.
  13. tintasa

tintasa Member

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks

14. briose

briose 『Bri-senpai』 『Boss Lady』

Reading List:
    Link
    No idea if this has been proposed yet, but could you have a recommendations section for each novel?
    Meaning users can rec novels similar to that one and the rec can be approved by other readers too.
    Meaning for Novel A 4 recs were made Novels B,C,D and E. And novel B has been approved by 4 people, C by 2, D by 7 and E by 1.
    Kinda like myanimelist for those who know it.
    You can also add the function of describing why the rec was made.
    I really like that function after all.

15. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    do you mean like this? we already had it tho.

recommedation1.jpg

1. to add recommendation, click on edit
    -choose novel
    -you can only recommend series that you yourself has on reading list
    -if you choose existing/listed novel, your nomination will be added as number 2 (below)
    -you can even see top25 recommended titles when you click the Edit

2. the amount of ppl recommending

why don't you give it a try >.<

p.s: for now, the 'note' function hasn't been implemented

Shio likes this.
  16. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    We already have recommendations. Only, there is no user approval or description as to why you're recommending it.

1. Open a novel's page.
    2. Go to Recommendations (Description>Associated Names>Related Series>Recommendations).
    3. Click [ Edit ].
    4. Add your recommendations for the chosen novel by typing in the text field - click one of the suggestions from the dropdown menu to approve your rec, then start typing again to add another.

~~Edit~~
    Oh, I was a step too late :D

17. Mizui

Mizui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no idea if this has been posted yet, but a way to exclude by type? I generally only read JP so a way to exclude CN and KR from the release list would be nice. I usually find new JP by looking at the release list.

18. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    It's been suggested multiple times already. Tony doesn't want to implement this since he wishes we'll be open to trying new things.
    If you want to spot JP novels easier, on the release feed, go to your NU profile, click Settings and tick "Enable Origin Tagging (Color)".

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  19. Mizui

Mizui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for your response and suggestion.

20. laststandb

laststandb Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NU's recommendation feature is really weak. I think a MAL style system of adding descriptions / helpfulness voting would be much more useful, and I would really like to see that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.