Discussion novels and their effects on the human psyche

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Exterial, Sep 23, 2017.

?

Have novels affected your actions in the real world in any way?

1. They would've if the police didn't exist

17.9%
  2. Guns are too dangerous otherwise i'd be smashing mountains by now

10.7%
  3. Novels, put your hands up and grant me the courage to confess! (\o/)

7.1%
  4. This post triggered me and i will now proceed to murder your family and the families of your friends

23.2%
  5. I'M VERY SANE THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

55.4%
  6. the doctor said i'm sick, i guess i should stop trying to get my skin as pale as jade

19.6%
  7. still waiting for the tribulation to descend i'll answer you after i breakthrough the qiuqu acupoint

19.6%
  8. i saw truck-san the other day! didn't manage to jump in time tho..

23.2%
  9. niko niko ni \o/

14.3%
  10. i like cats

25.0%
  11. fuck dogs

3.6%
  12. camels tho? now that's what i call kawaii.

5.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Exterial

Exterial @pocketbear ,much oneesama, very friendly, kawaii.

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok yeah uh spoiler name is correct that ended up too depressing and personal so ima just leave it out, but i wasted so much time writing that That i cant simply delete it all, so im leaving it there to read it if you want but please dont.
    Anyway!

Novels... great time waster right?

I mean life is all about wasting time until we finally die.
    Anyway novels are nice and all, but just like everything too much of them can be bad, read the spoiler if you want to know the story of how novels broke my mind and how they ended up brainwashing me.

But no matter, tell me my fellow readers.

Have any of you ever felt that novels have changed your life in any way?
    Oh and i dont mean "i was too lazy to clean my house and read novels instead so my parents ended up grounding me"
    I mean serious things, stuff like straight up personality changes, like you doing things you wouldve never done before but you did because the mc of some novel acted the same.

Things like that, i wanna discuss about the effects fiction has on the human psyche in high dosages.

Mmmm time, oh how i wish i could stop it, turn it back, or maybe speed it up and flow together with it.

But no matter what i do i can't stop time, i can't turn it back, and neither can i go together with it into the future.

My only path is forward, a slow and yet fast, narrow and yet wide, it doesn't matter for the path changes depending on who the person treading it is.

Recently i've just been feeling so damn old, i'm just 17 and yet i look back at the past as if it's been decades ago, i look at everything i've done, experienced, the people i interacted with, and yet i'm fucking 17.

I've even got the same time problems cenile gramps have, where to them a day is a week and a week is a month, time flies slowly, if you attempted to count alongside it's passing you'd prob go insane before a week ended (i'd say day but a guy on youtube did just that, god rest his soul).

One day i'm a kid and another i'm a teen, then before a week passes i'm almost an adult, time varies so heavily to me.

But no matter how much time affects me, i still end up spending a lot of time reminiscing about the past, i don't look ahead for it will be in front of me faster than i can think about it, "oh a guy i like will come out in a month, cool." 1 day later "oh the game is out nice".

My life is so utterly dull i can't sense time, it's like i'm just floating on the peacefull river known as time, and before i know it a storm has arrived and i'm miles farther than i expected to be.

Everyday is the same, there is very little difference, or at least that's how it was.

The variable know as school came up 3 weeks ago, or maybe 4? Don't know feels like 1 to me.

But after 2 weeks, or maybe a few days? My life still returned to its dull cycle of repeating everything i do everyday.

Before the variable know as school came up 3 weeks ago from the last 2 years a solid 1 year and 10 months were completely identical.

I woke up, read, maybe played some games on the pc, washed the dishes between 1-2pm or left them for the next day, around 20-25 days of the months were identical.

2 days or so were different because my mom decided to, well, anyway 2 days i felt like shit.

And the rest had some slight differences compared to the 20-25 days.

By slight i mean something along the lines of talking with mt siblings for more than 10 minutes, or maybe cooking something to eat.

Anyway let's get to the point.

My life was and still is so dull and has so little variation i've been completely disconnected from the world, and my mind seems to have broken in some ways.

Time is a deadly thing.

It may heal all wounds but it can also harm you if you don't pay attention.

I've become so incredibly apathetic due to time, and novels sure didn't help.

I've had days where i had moments where i was confused where i am or WHO i am for minutes before "waking up", those dull 1 year 10 months?

A solid 8 hours per day on average form them was spent on reading,

1 hour contemplating life, and the rest were chores.

Oh by 8 hours on average i mean sometimes ive read from 6 am to 22pm and sometimes i played some video games in between.

And i barely had human contact, were plenty of days where nobody came into my room and they were all in their rooms so even when going to eat i didnt see anyone.

No matter how much i don't want to acknowledge it it's a fact that novels and time broke me, and having random moments where i even forget myself kinda prove that.

Not to mention i also feel, just so old. Like i already mentioned before.

Novels got me past depression so hey that's nice and all, but they literally made me, how should i say it... they just completely disconnected me from this world, reading more than doing anything else for 2 years really broke my mind, and yet it feels so normal, like "this is normal, what's my problem, i don't get it".

Everything feels so normal like it's how it should be, but i know it's not.

It's crazy... everything i do in "real life" is just so that i can escape it and enter the virtual world or read novels.

Thats what it feels like at least, i can stop reading right? There were times where i didnt read for days, so i CAN stop so not addicted or anything, but even when i didnt read, or in general, when i have nothing to do.

I just disconnect myself from the world and think about novels in my head, my brain just got so used to me reading novels over the past 2 years that's all i can do now.

I either read in my head, or think about the past. i just don't care about anything other than novels, while i was depressed and was literally sitting on the edge of a tall building reading novels on my phone, i brainwashed myself in a way, saying stuff like "i'ts not worth it to jump, issth just got hype in the recent chapters i need to read that before i die at least".

And this continued for a solid month until "stuff happened".

Anyway i'm past depression now right? I don't actively seek death and i won't, i don't have time for that i need to read more, but if you gave me a button that'd end me without pain i can't tell you for sure that i wouldn't press it.

But that's normal right?

At least it feels normal, everything feels normal, this is how things should be what's the problem?

I'll live because i want to read more, but am i happy?

Fuck what does that mean?

Honestly i wouldn't care, because i don't care, i can't care and that's normal right?

But then i look at the past, at my 12 year old self jumping in mud running around with the entire class since i was the popular guy that everyone knew, having "fun" laughing etc etc.

And then i look at today, and honestly i can't tell if that memory is fictional or not.

Because to me, everything that's happening now is normal, so those memories feel sureal to me.

It's honestly crazy...

But what can i do?
    nothing right? At least the guys at the clinic said so, they said without feeding me drugs they can't do anything, but i don't want to get brainwashed i wouldn't be me then, but what is me?

Who or what am i? I don't even fucking know.

I'd rather just stick my face in a book imagining myself as the mc like i have been doing for the past 2 years than think about things like that because why should i care about them.

Even the emotions i've put into this text are fake, i'm just sitting here writing out of boredom and trying to put emotion into the text as necessary so that this wall of text isn't boring, tho i'm sure it is.

But man, out of the frying pan and into the fire as they say.

Cured depression by brainwashing myself with novels, but that depression turned into something i can't even identify, and i don't even want to, i don't fucking care is the problem.

I'll go living my life like this, that's all fine and good, but those memories are have make me mad, or at least they would if i could even fucking be mad.

But see? I put emotion into the text, i understand emotions so it's not autism, apathy? I don't know, i know i could kill someone but at the same time i do laugh sometimes so not apathy, just a very intense feeling of not caring about anything that has to do with this world.

Mmmm i've been writing for way too god damn long, but at least 1 or 2 people will reach this far that's for sure, so to those 2 people.

Please don't commenr stuff like get help or i feel your pain, i feel no pain and i don't care about getting help.

I feel very much indifferent to everything and i can fake emotions to a master actor level irl as long as its not crying, so i'll do fine in life.

Just something seemed to bother me and i wrote this, still not quite sure why i did, should i post this? But why should i? It'll be a very awkard thing.

Maybe make a new account and post this? Meh i'm too lazy for that.

Midnight Rain likes this.
  2. Exterial

Reading List:
    Link
    Meow.
    Also novel general might've been a better choice than regular general.
    No matter, general means everything and we all read novels so it should be fine.
    Edit: for both mine and your sanity pretend the spoiler tag doesn't exist.
    I just couldn't bring myself to delete 30mins of hard work but i don't want anyone reading it, or read it but don't talk about it that's fine too.

3. Exterial

Reading List:
    Link
    You okay there bud? Dw i'll always be here for you.

4. BarryKaizer

BarryKaizer your crazy fairy godmother of death

Reading List:
    Link
    After seeing so much harem novels I agree with most Heroes from the heroes bulletin bored novel/manga kill the harem heroes

Kirikaize likes this.
  5. yotae

yotae Drunkard Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you bored ?

Exterial likes this.
  6. Exterial

Reading List:
    Link
    Very

7. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    It's like watch a picture or reading books(since LN are books), whatever effect it has, will be the same.
    Yeah....I didn't read anything in this thread, beside your title.

8. Expatamoeba

Expatamoeba Have eyes but still couldn't see Mount Tai

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been reading a lot of scheming novels these days and I realised that I started to think more before I say/do something. Before this I just say whatever I think directly without thinking much and caused lots of trouble.

9. He

He Stop using the net, you net addict.

Reading List:
    Link
    well... Are you sure you're not depressed?

Let's see. Lack of self control. Regret after reading novel, but still cannot stop. Making time for reading novel, even if I had to twist my priority and procrastinate.

Well... I'm addicted to novel. Those are the symptoms I experienced.

kenar likes this.
  10. Deleted member 13809

Deleted member 13809 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, as for me, I always need to read something to guide my thoughts, or else my mind would wander and go to a dangerous direction...

11. WorthierSky8

WorthierSky8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    After reading the entire rant every piece of advice I want to give seems too sarcastic or insincere.

12. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    TLDR. To be able to differentiate what is real and what is not is part of life, so please go see a doctor if required.

kenar likes this.
  13. Tantrum

Tantrum Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes you just wanna bash some arrogant pricks in your daily life

14. Adardoniel

Adardoniel MTL Addict

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like you need a new hobby, maybe you could try writing? It could help with boredom

Midnight Rain and kenar like this.
  15. Exterial

Reading List:
    Link
    Hobby.... mmmm i need something yeah.
    I'll see what i can find.

16. Guradu Gilgida

Guradu Gilgida 【Gentleman】【Tembikar Demon】

Reading List:
    Link
    Every time I wake up, I always check :
    1. Am I still in my body or in a stranger body?
    2. Check my room, is it still my room or a run-down hut or a super luxurious room?
    3. Check the date, am I returned back to the past or not?
    4. Check under the blanket, just in case a mysterious girl sleeping under it. (only to find morning wood)

17. Liea

Liea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well it has made me more open minded I guss? And now so ever so often I try to teleport or move fire or water, but meh no success...yet.:blobpeek:

ninish likes this.
  18. kryner

kryner BYSTANDER BY NATURE

Reading List:
    Link
    nothing much really. I am very grounded to reality.

19. Falhrus

Falhrus Avoiding enemies is hard work y'know?

Reading List:
    Link
    Aight managed to get to the end. Thanks for the story. And to answer your question, yes they have changed my personality and outlook in life.

Midnight Rain likes this.
  20. Rae

Rae ͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes i guess? i mean unconciously speaking in their characteristic.
    take Yukinoshita Yukino for example, she has a sharp tongue, and sometimes i'll talk to my friend like "her criticizing 8man"
    but not so often.