NovelUpdates Smartphone App?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Bkiro, Feb 18, 2017.

?

Should this Happen?

1. Yes

88.5%
  2. No

7.7%
  3. Its Already There

3.8%
  1. Bkiro

Bkiro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do not know if this topic has been raised before, nor do i know if this is the correct place to post this, but since since this is somehow related to the site I just put it here.

Anyway, I posted this to know if there are any app (Android or IOS) for the site. If there already is a discussion about this a link to it would be appreciated, else I think it would be nice to discuss about it at least.

Okay here's my pitch:
    Novel Updates has become the center for the translated Web Novels and although the site is really well made, I think that if an app were made for it, it would be able to have a lot more features.

For example :
    • Configurable Notification whenever your novel gets updated. I always end up staring at the screen just refreshing. Thinking that the next refresh will show some updates. Having a Notification function would help out a lot.
      The configurable of the notification means that the notification will only be for those novels that you want. Basically a Black list/ White list kinda stuff.
    • In-Built Reader that automatically updates the reading list. Whenever I read a new novel i always end up having to keep the tab open forever or else update the reading list manually. It would be nice if the app could do it for us automatically when we are reading serially at least.
      And I run into a lot of sites/blogs which have bad formatting and are just a pain to read or just some odd irritating little features that lessen the experience of reading the novel. If a deal could be struck with the translators/site owners, then we could add in a constant reader format for all the sites that just takes the chapters form them and then display just that on the screen, which you can configure however you want. Text size, color, background color, etc.
    Well, these are just my fantasies and ideas about the App that I want, and I'd love to hear how people here think about it.

2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Bkiro

Bkiro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Any reason for it? Just curious.

4. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know, probably because he's busy. Dude handles the main site alone. By handle I mean maintaining and improving the site. There are people who help him with approving updates. Well, at least that's what I understand.

5. Bkiro

Bkiro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That makes sense.
    But if he were willing to, there would be some people in the community who'd be willing to help. I mean i would.

6. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    Indeed.

If they released an API, by now other people would have already made what you want, and probably other awesome and crazy things too.

7. Bkiro

Bkiro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Think NU would expand like crazy if that happened. It really is a great creation. I still remember my pre NU days. Going from site to site. Refreshing like crazy. Sometimes even having to browse the chapters again if i forgot where i'd reached.

LiF3tim3 and noisypixy like this.
  8. Professor Charles Francis Xavier

Professor Charles Francis Xavier Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Bkiro

Bkiro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the links. That cleared up things.
    At least is not a definitely no. Small bit of maybe.

10. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    For the app, at least.

I don't think they've said anything about an API, but knowing them, it'll probably be rejected too.