NUF's 2nd Anniversary Celebration [Interest + Discussion Thread]

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by BlancFrost, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blee8

blee8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so sorry, on hindsight, I should have asked that question prior to the start of the contest. Its hard enough to gather people from different time zones, harder still to spam under pressure for 1 hour. I think 15 minutes is just the right time. It makes for a more challenging competition and the stories wouldn’t be too long for our judges to read!

But by changing it at the last minute, I have wasted your valuable time, and for that I apologize. m(_ _)m

Im not sure how long exactly, let me ask @brasca123

if you guys would like for us to extend the deadline, let me know!

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    @Robofs740 Post cooldown is 10s AFAIK... Maybe it's 8-9s, I tested it just now on my profile, and I made a post, and tried to post again right away, the poppup said "You need to wait 7s to make this post".

The 7s is probably because it could've taken 3s for the post to load and for me to click on post again... But I feel I only took 1-2s, so the cooldown might be only 8-9s.

However... It's unlikely for the cooldown to not be a pretty number, so the most likely contender is 10s.

I hope this helps! ^^)/

3. Action

Action Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Congratulations to the Blue Ninjas! I thought your avatar was really adorable.

@briose Can you elaborate on your composition/design score? I really see no reason why we should score a 1. Also, @briose and @Carm I'd like to counter the score you gave us for skill/technique.

Balance
    One key concept for designing any logo, or any art piece for that matter, is balance. It's important not to have all the visual elements cluttered to one side. If you put our logo into this website, which calculates the visual center for you, you'll notice that our container and our visual center are very close. We achieve this through bilateral vertical symmetry, and in some sense horizontal symmetry. Also, normally a card like this would be very top-heavy, since the graphic is in the upper half. Our avatar counterbalances this problem by leaving a large greyish-white negative space in the lower half.

Focus
    The important and most eye-catching part of any playing card should be the graphic. When you look at Blue Eyes White Dragon, your eyes are drawn to the lustrous white dragon. We achieve similar results with the popping red color. Though our graphic takes up less than half of the visual real estate, we successfully make it the focal point by not only having a bright red color in the center, but more importantly, by muting the surrounding colors.

Proportions
    Perhaps you've heard of the famous golden rectangle, or golden ratio. It's what makes Parthenon so pleasing to the eye. Likewise, the dimensions of the XX in the center fit perfectly into a golden rectangle, if you measure it out. We could have easily stretched the logo to fit the margins of the space, but instead we kept it at the proportions you currently see.

Style
    I feel like our team avatar's style accurately represents who we are as a team. Our name itself contains the word "lurkers". The avatar reflects that with its relatively muted color palette. The muted color palette also harkens to our team color--black.

Of course, the most glaring style choice, is our graphic design approach. And I see no reason why we should be docked points based purely on choosing a graphic design approach, rather than an approach that's more conventionally seen as "art". I see a team avatar as a sort of iconic logo that thrives on timelessness, recognizability, and simplicity. For example, take a look at the apple logo's progression through history.

Though a team isn't exactly a manufacturing or retail business, a team would also benefit from a logo-like avatar or representation. Just take a look at sports teams' logos. The New York Yankees have an iconic logo that is instantaneously recognizable. And it isn't just the New York Yankees. We wanted our team avatar to be less about the "artistic" ability, and more about the ability to convey an idea quickly and cleanly, which I believe our avatar achieves. For anyone that knows Hunter x Hunter well, the XX should remind them of the manga/anime franchise, and the playing card should remind them of the Greed Island arc. Yes, we did sacrifice creativity and originality. But we did it for the sake of recognizability and timelessness.

We truly tried to tailor the avatar to who we are as a team, and I believe that it's unfair to receive a lower score just because we tried to stay true to ourselves.

Skill/Technique
    Yes, there is no skill or technique to slap together a playing card imitation in photoshop. But likewise, there is no skill in making the Mcdonald's double arches logo. It's just some plain, old, yellow M. However, I believe the skill and technique in our avatar lies not in the technical ability to actually make the avatar, but in the design ability. A lot of thought went into our avatar, and the final logo you see wasn't slapped together in 10 minutes. We went through many iterations and trials, fixing the dimensions, colors, backgrounds, and fonts, before settling on the final version that you see before you. To give us low points just because it lacked technical ability is a slap in the face to all the designers and artists out there who put thought into the seemingly mundane.

Carm likes this.
  4. Carm

Carm Drip drop, when will time stop

Reading List:
    Link
    Ummm this really doesn't change anything for me.
    If I were to rate Mcdonalds logo I would give it a 1 as well.
    This category is Skill and Technique, nothing more nothing less.
    From my POV I couldn't see much of either, and I am completely oblivious to as what you guys have underwent.
    I understand your anger(?) but I interpreted this category as such.
    If you have any more ummm anger(?) you wish to direct at me, please feel so.
    I'll try to do my best to not act like a douche and say I don't care or something like that.

5. Action

Action Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha no harsh feelings. I understand what you're getting at, and I accept that. Thanks for considering!

Carm likes this.
  6. GamingIce

GamingIce 『Holder of the Ring of Promise』『RPG Nerd』

Reading List:
    Link
    wait so can we change our avatars now or no :eek:

7. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    You can! \(^^)/

... I think!!

Nahrenne likes this.
  8. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    :thinking: When?

9. GamingIce

GamingIce 『Holder of the Ring of Promise』『RPG Nerd』

Reading List:
    Link
    taking your word for it :p

10. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Teehee, it should be okay now, Blee-chan can just correct me later if not~

11. Pyoo

Pyoo ☀ Summer Melody ☀

Reading List:
    Link
    insteadofdeath and blee8 like this.
  12. blee8

blee8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  13. Pythagoras Theorem

Pythagoras Theorem Horse (?)

Reading List:
    Link
    Something came up and we'll be starting 45 minutes later than the appointed time... Sorry :blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful:

14. blee8

blee8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    thats ok, just start whenever you can!

15. Pythagoras Theorem

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry again >o<

16. blee8

blee8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    its ok, really, don't worry about it! take your time! and thanks for letting us know!

17. Pythagoras Theorem

Reading List:
    Link
    15 minutes is not enough...
    We went over the limit and the story is messy

A bunch of friends came up to talk about a competition, start fighting, and making up due to their strong *coughcoughdies* friendship

Title: A Half-Assed Plot: The Plotception

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    blee8 likes this.
  18. Nahrenne

Nahrenne Sister|Daughter|Niece|Aunt|Mummy

Reading List:
    Link
    We haven't even decided on our slot yet...
    orz
    I fear us not even doing this one cos two of our members aren't using our WA atm and haven't said when they'd be available yet...
    orz
    (>_<)
    X

19. insteadofdeath

insteadofdeath Faith

Reading List:
    Link
  20. blee8

blee8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think its cute and the "messiness" is part of the charm. Unfortunately I can't change the time limit but I think the story works even if we stop at the 15 min mark! Great job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.