NU's Anniversary Celebration - Unofficial Writing Contest (discussion thread).

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by AliceShiki, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Who of the winners will get a medal?

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    None, this is an unofficial contest after all.

3. Deleted member 41274

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm it felt like an official contest. Okay haha what a stupid question of mine

4. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the sticky and the "vote for your favorite entries" thread by Tony-chan might've made it look more "official", but this was all organized by users, we just asked for permission beforehand, and Tony-chan liked the idea, so she gave us some support!

It's why it's on this subforum, and not on the contests subforum as well, because that one is only for official stuff.

blee8 and BlancFrost like this.
  5. Action

Action Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kudos to everyone who participated! I loved seeing how (almost) everyone tackled the prompt. The road to being a better writer is paved with stories like these--amateur, but earnest. And thank you to the judges, for taking the time to write such thoughtful reviews.

I came into this short story contest expecting to, well, write a short story. You know Hemingway's "write drunk, edit sober"? Well, mine is "write sleep-deprived, edit caffeinated". I was mentally prepared to hammer out a draft on a late Tuesday night, and edit the next morning after downing a cuppa.

I'm not sure what exactly emboldened me to eschew the short story for songwriting. Perhaps it was weariness of the short story format. Perhaps it was a nolstagia for "Weird Al" Yankovic parody songs. Either way, pen met paper and the lyrics of Tonylicious started flowing out, albeit slowly.

Writing has always been a solitary pursuit. I cannot fathom how @Nahrenne and @amilhs co-wrote their submission without wringing each others' necks out. Group submission was out of question, and I was fully prepared to put on a one-man show. And plus, group implies more than one person, and I didn't know anyone well enough to collaborate. I blame my kindergarten teacher for my lone-wolf tendencies. When she said, "keep your hands to yourself," I ended up keeping my whole life to myself.

But what would life be if it didn't take you by surprise? I asked @Tony to sing Tonylicious in jest, and that one off-hand remark snowballed into a whole group of people helping and expressing interest. Heartwarming would be an understatement. After many months of being a bobbing buoy in a sea of forum comments, I can finally shout "land ahoy" and anchor. The forum now feels a lot less foreign and a lot more homely.

And homely indeed. Though I didn't manage to successfully negotiate head matriarch status, I'm currently making do as @Lonelycity and @Koalala 's prodigal daughter.

========

For all the participants, come join us over at the monthly short story challenge!
    http://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/monthly-short-story-writing-prompts.19466/
    http://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/monthly-short-story-writing-prompts-submission-thread.19750/

blee8, jzar, Ko and 6 others like this.
  6. BlancFrost

BlancFrost ❄Middle child: Carm & Dev + Sio's FSIL ❄

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm glad you were able to find your footing in these treacherous waters! Adjusting to new environments can be really daunting when there is nothing to anchor us. By doing something like this, we can gather people together and just have fun. Along the way you do meet those who you feel that can "click" or just "get" you in a sense. Without an anchor everyone is just drifting with the current. We all know the other person is there, but we just don't have any lasting interactions.

Good work Action! You did well on putting out something that was immensely enjoyed by everyone who stumbled across it.

Hard work really does pay when the results are not what you expected.

blee8, Ko, amilhs and 2 others like this.
  7. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Your song writing was wonderful! I really enjoyed them!

As for writing as a group... Well... I got some experience with it through AG, which... Is a RP, so not the same as writing a short story, but not too different either.

Basically, you just get a common idea, and try working on it... And then you write in turns, if the other party did something you don't think that fits the character, just ask them to change it, people are usually quite open about those things!

At least that's how it has always been for me, it worked out pretty well!

I'm glad you're enjoying NUF Act-chan! I hope you keep on being active here! *hugs*

blee8, Ko, amilhs and 2 others like this.
  8. Action

Action Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, I once took a look in the adventurer's guild place. But I think short stories and poetry are more my thing, though I've been in a poetry slump lately.

I'll definitely be hanging around! And I hope you do too! I love participating in the monthly short story challenge with you. Others come and go, but you tackle the prompt every month, rain or shine. It's inspiring and part of the reason why I've been participating every month so far.

Oh, and now I guess I can finally change my avatar and stop blinding people's corneas.

blee8, Ko, Pyoo and 3 others like this.
  9. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... They're different I guess?

I got a lot of confidence in my writing through AG, I always loved to create stories, but they all remained on my head only... AG was what made me start putting them on paper, I'm really attached to it!

You have to like RPing to remain on it I guess, but it's pretty fun overall.

It's fun participating on the monthly writing prompts for sure! Not always do I have the time to read the prompts of others, or do I feel comfortable with the prompt, but trying out new ideas and styles, writing about things I don't usually write about is really nice! Reason why I keep on doing it! \(^^)/

... That, and because I feel that place would die really quickly if there wasn't anyone that was consistently participating... So I want to keep writing there every month! I'll definitely do my part to keep it alive! And I'm really happy to have you there as well! *glomps*

blee8, Action and BlancFrost like this.
  10. Deleted member 41274

Reading List:
    Link
    Everynight when I go to bed I like to listen to Tonylicious:X3:it'S my favoUrite song now:ROFLMAO::sleep::sleep::sleep:

blee8, Action, Ko and 2 others like this.
  11. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, I can sticky anything on NU. Threads, posts or even a random link. Since the contest is over, I'll help one last time. It's totally okay. It's currently stickied on NU for 24 hours.

It's good that you can see the 'homely' part of NUF (y)

That's something you should take to your grave. It's not something someone should confess...

blee8, jzar, Action and 5 others like this.
  12. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Teehee, thank you again then! *hugs*
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(y)(y)(y)

13. BlancFrost

BlancFrost ❄Middle child: Carm & Dev + Sio's FSIL ❄

Reading List:
    Link
    :X3::X3::X3::X3::X3:

Thanks again Tony!

blee8, Action and AliceShiki like this.
  14. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's my daughter for you.
    fufu.
    making her father proud....

it's totally not self advertising... okay?

blee8, BlancFrost, Action and 2 others like this.
  15. Pyoo

Pyoo ☀ Summer Melody ☀

Reading List:
    Link
    thank you \o/ I'll try hard to make good prompts every month \o/
    yay advertisement! Good idea remind me yo update the calling tag~

And i tried advertising for it in the story too tho :sweat: i dont think it works tt way xD

Action likes this.
  16. Ko

Ko "The Corrupted Queen"

Reading List:
    Link
    My daughter is so great ~~~~!!
    I don't know where you got your talent >.>
    but you definitely got your looks from me~!

Congratz once again ~!

Job well done daughter >////<

Lonelycity and Action like this.
  17. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    More advertising is never enough! We need new blood participating!!! \(^^)/

18. shad12ow

shad12ow 『Semi-Offline』

Reading List:
    Link
  19. Myross17

Myross17 [Queen of Underworld] [Immortal Cultivator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you to those judges and staff :D:D I enjoy participating in this contest and it was my first. I'm actually satisfied with my overall grade hahaha I actually thought I got 0 xD

And...

Congratulations to those winners (y)(y)(y)

And to all participants..... we did a good job guys, congrats to all of us hihihi \(^0^)/

20. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Your story was great! Congratulations Shadow! \(^^)/

I'm glad you enjoyed it! ^^)/
    Your story was one of the cutest ones in the contest! I'd easily give it a 9, but it was somewhat far from the topic, so I removed some points... I really loved reading it though! It was really cute!!! >.<

You all did a wonderful job indeed though! Congratulations!

Myross17, blee8, shad12ow and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.