NU's Reading List (+Design Your Perfect Reading List)

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Tony, Dec 23, 2016.

1. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh a hypothetical design for a totally new reading list. Well I would probably tier my reading list and colour code them into [Read Now] [Read after 3] [Read in batch]. It's what I do with my current reading list but it takes time to find some series sometimes. All it would really do would be streamlining the process. Reminding me to read series I haven't read in a two weeks. I mean I'm already loving the favourites on main page and I rarely stray from the updates there but sometimes series don't update often and since I'm only online for half the day there are a few novels that I miss completely (usually those series with schedules release times).

Thinking of making a new reading list is hard. Maybe I'm just already satisfied with the current reading list so new ideas all seems sub-par.

Tony likes this.
  2. xtremeloldude

xtremeloldude the slime guy

Reading List:
    Link
    well i just want 1 extra thing
    i have two lists, one named "reading" one named "plan to read" but new chapters from either novel will be highlighted in green
    i just want a different colour for "plan to read"

fireclaws likes this.
  3. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yah, it seems like a lot of people want this. It'll be awhile before I can get to this

fireclaws likes this.
  4. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    In my opinion, NU should have its own identity. No need to copy others. Be original.

5. cooldook

cooldook Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think adding an option to view the date of the both the "latest release" and the "my status" and adding the option to follow a series by translator would be helpful.

6. pocketbear

pocketbear !!!!!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    If i had to design a completely new one i might go along with Facebooks design in a sense, where you have the normal uodates of chapters in the center, and trending off to the right with most clicked links/stories today, who has mass updated, what story is new to being translated, ...maybe a chat option or at least who is on the forums, because it took me.... a while, to understand the forums were a part of NU, but also a separate part, ya know? However I am acclaimed as horrible in web design so creating something completely new... ew.

zeus and Tony like this.
  7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm I wanna if I highlight a novel on my reading list it will give something like novel description~
    I have one long list so sometime I just forget what a novel about~ that for JP novel with title like ayukado blablabla or yusha blablabla~
    my face just vanilla huh.png

Tony likes this.
  8. WeiFish

WeiFish Eccentric Grey Sword 『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe have an option so that when you untick something it goes back to the chapter you last ticked? I often accidentally click "read" on something when on my phone. Then again, this would take quite a bit of memory. Hmm. Most popular in your reading list? And sorting the reading list in "Up to date" and "Behind" or something similar so that I can see what I've stocked. Another label could be "To Read" for those books where I just tick the first chapter to put it on my reading list due to recommendations. :)

9. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's just fine the way it is. Simpler is the best for me.:coffee:
    Maybe because I'm just lazy and don't want to learn how to use new features and other things.

10. arjun pandit

arjun pandit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have divided reading list to different sections like reading, dropped, completed or read later... except for the reading section I have disabled the reading list for other sections...but I was hoping if you could make such that I could put different colors for different sections like now its blue, light blue and yellow for reading...
    Edit: Hoping for a mobile appp of NU:cool:

11. piratex

piratex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it possible to change the order of lists.

Ex:i made reading2 list and want to place it to second place after reading in the list order

sithkazar and arjun pandit like this.
  12. mangobeef

mangobeef [Obsessed Mango] [团子幼女工口力's fan]

Reading List:
    Link
    With the current reading lists design, I'll probably add mini images/icon of the novels (just like batoto) just for reference on the novels on the reading lists or have the ability to edit/rename/have a nickname for a novel that is on the reading. To be honest, its abit hard to track long titled novels that are in romanji (on jp that is)

13. Akabane

Akabane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think they should make a carbon copy either. When something looks and works great, its even better when a newer and better version comes about. When I got my first pc I thought it was the best thing ever but looking back its a complete joke compared to my current laptop.

14. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    Something like this.

My reading list is really long, which makes it really difficult to search for a novel in it, especially if the novel is no longer being being/has an irregular update.

If I could change the current reading list, I'd do something that allows me to write a description of a novel that only I can see, which would allow me to create personalised tags for a novel, which I could use to easily search for a novel in my list.

For example, in a novel like The Lame Daoist, I'd create personalised tags/descriptions like,
    1. Unfortunate MC meets unfortunate teacher who teaches him how to not be unfortunate
    2. Sexy ghost helper who's actually has a really scary face that's rotting.

Something like this I guess? These tags are little bit like spoilers, so I can't make them official tags for the novel, which everyone can see.

Then whenever I click the Lame Daoist, I'd be able to see these tags and remember which novel this is. Or when I'm trying to use remember a novel, instead of making a forgotten title thread and hoping for someone to tell me what I was reading, I could just use my personal tag list which I'd use to find the novel I'm looking for, if it's in my reading list and I created those tags for it.

PS: The reading log idea is awesome!!

iampsyx, Ophious, AliceShiki and 4 others like this.
  15. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    similar to
    well I don't mind it what I seek is something like reminder so when I highlight a title I will get "oh it's that novel" feel~

sithkazar likes this.
  16. sithkazar

sithkazar Professional Screw Up

Reading List:
    Link
    That's what icons should be used for. Though I can understand the appeal of color coordination.

The reading list is pretty perfect. The only thing I wish is that the chapter releases could be sorted by chapter number instead of just date (because sometimes the chapters are not in order). However, I can see at least two different problems with this. First you would have to make sure that it sorts correctly for some of the more unique chapter labels (like when they are in parts). You would also have to remember how the list is organized (either by release or date) so that it would correctly color the chapters (which ones you have read and which you haven't). Luckily, most series are mostly in order anyways, so this doesn't come up a lot.

Nazgand likes this.
  17. zamornews

zamornews Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i was gonna say to add a reading list log for when you accidentally update a novel you took a break from but you said you already have it planned.

one other thing that would be nice to just keep at the back of your head is: if you are planning to change the current reading list ui/design then it would be nice to have the option of using the older version as not everyone like change. or maybe just ad different themes or something like different color background or font(?) or whatever to you know make it look a little personal

18. SinCity

SinCity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would love to have another section for my to-read list on the release page/home so I don't have to see my reading list and to-read list mix together

19. sithkazar

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a script that I use on Manga Updates the makes a pop-up image of the manga/novel cover when my mouse hovers over the name. It has saved me many a pointless click. I absolutely love it.

iampsyx and intelanands like this.
  20. sithkazar

Reading List:
    Link
    Something like a private "note" section...