Parth Rant: The problems with adding originals to NU

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Parth37955, Sep 29, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    D;
    yeeaaahhhh that's the only thing RRL is good for :T
    Popularity

But lots of big community's usually generate a pile of junk.. especially one like RRL... where anyone can make a novel. It's like watt pad.

if NU started making something for original novels you can't really pick and choose or there will be a bunch of out cries and butt-hurt people saying it's not fair and bam! NU will become the new cancerous place for many Original Novels that are terrible

Which will never happen. Hopefully.

2. Diamona

Diamona [Forever Alone Psychotherapist]

Reading List:
    Link
    @HesheFell I am aware of the purpose of NU. I'm not saying that english original novels should be allowed here, but merely fancying the thought of a safe haven where one can find good novels easily. I'd rather other sites learn from NU's example of proper genre filtering, to be honest.

Perhaps a sister site? You know, where members of NUF who can't read japanese can sift through the English bad novels. I just think that members here, who have experience with reading GOOD series can point out the rare decent English web novels.

Tropes are not bad you know? Having cliches is not bad, per se. Having ONLY cliches without bothering to play with the ideas is bad form.
    Sword Arts Online, despite me bashing it, handles drama very well. Personally, I enjoyed Log Horizon a bit more, since there is great world building and thought to detail, playing with the idea of resurrection in a game being in a different world. The economic approach is also quite intriguing and a subliminal sort of warfare.

@Parth37955 I think Arcturus's suggestion of a subforum (those are like Novel Discussion or Gaming Discussion, right?) for english novels was pretty good. It would allow people here at NUF to judge and critique those un-asian novels, giving more options for those who have little to do other than press F5 every five minutes. I am not criticizing translation speed here, because the people who do that cannot be satiated NO MATTER HOW MANY series they follow.

I perfectly understand that it is a masterpiece. Just not in a good sense. More like a forty car crash. I also said that I have read the entire thing with much pleasure. But I would never mistaken "So bad it's good" with being simply good. This Isn't an issue of taste.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  3. Stormingtiger101

Stormingtiger101 Procrastinator ○

Reading List:
    Link
    I would argue another good use of RRL, for newly aspiring authors is the useless, but harsh reviews they can give. Building up thick skin is good for anyone especially on the Internet. Might as well start there. Otherwise, RRL is utter cancer that's not worth a glance.

Nom de Plume and Arcturus like this.
  4. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ok, better question. Why would they? Plus if they're hosting originals themselves, how can we trust their opinion? (I would trust GGP cause I know him but hypothetically, how would you go about approving aggregators? You would have to know them well enough to know their judgment and unlike what you think, most translations groups don't have close ties with NU. NU is like a free-floating independent body.

5. BunnyPillow

BunnyPillow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ...what's RRL?

Nom de Plume likes this.
  6. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    *shrugs* I wouldn't care. Anyone who complains can face the wrath of the banhammer. Lay down the law and there isn't any problems. Especially if you require them to meet certain criteria (such as being on their own website or be part of an approved aggregator) among others, for the novel to be listed. Now I'm not necessarily in support of NU doing this. I would just like someone to do a better job of what we have now.

7. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    My advice:
    Be a second @Tony
    Ask @Tony how he make this site, use the same template and establish originalupdates.com or something like that.

Then this site can focus on translation and stuffs while that site deal with originals and the likes. Everybody happy!

neoshadow and LittleFox21 like this.
  8. Stormingtiger101

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no idea what is going on in this thread. But what I can gather is that there's a problem with orginal works here, corect? And this thread is basically an Idea thread for sorting out the issues, right?

Nom de Plume likes this.
  9. craBebe

craBebe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno. Look at aggregate sites, if they're allowed to upload a ton of translated works, what's the difference between them and original works? These are all for profit sites for the most part, so hosting crummy novels doesn't benefit them in the least. If you have people abusing their privilege, then just remove their ability to host. They might not have a relationship with NU in the most explicit sense, but I wouldn't even have known about NU if not for places like translation nations and wuxiaworld asking their users to come to NU and rate their novels.

It seems simple enough to just have a trusted person, go to these aggregates, look to see if they're legit and give them the okay or not. I don't even think novel quality has much to do with it, as everyone has a difference in taste. It's more about whether or not the hosting site is professional or not. The example is used repeatedly, but this site allows Invisible Dragon on here; the bar can't possibly be lower.

10. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    no. this thread is me saying, originals aren't going to happen, and other people are trying to make it happen.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  11. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    Um no. Parth is bitching (and yes whining and/or bitching are the appropriate terms here) about all of the people who would like a better lister for english original webnovels who are suggesting that NU do something about it. Others then decided to say that what we have now is good enough (which is entirely false). Still others started talking about why it's not a bad idea. And then there's people like me who are fine with NU as it is, want a subforum on NUF for originals and wouldn't mind seeing a new lister for english originals somewhere. I also suggest that this lister vet the novels it lists in certain ways and ban the hell out of the idiots who argue

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  12. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    ...read my original post.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  13. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    If I ever find the next big original novel that becomes a best seller, the first thing I would do is say, "Hah! I was right! You were wrong!" *does a funny dance*
    Also, original novels are okay, but I can never get into bad grammar. I'll wait until 3 revisions.

14. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    >_> I'm not bitching...I'm venting. there's a difference.

15. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    So whining then. I'll update my post to include that then.

Stormingtiger101 likes this.
  16. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    It's addressing the question of why original works (western web novels) aren't allowed on this site.

17. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    The beauty of aggregates means that people can't come bitching to NU about not hosting their novel, they have to go to find an approved aggregate to host it. If the aggregate says no, then NU has nothing to do with it. It's kinda passing the problem off to someone else, but it leaves NU out of the loop. You might run into the issue of aggregates wondering why they're not getting approval, but that would at least keep the defensive amateurs at bay, so instead of dealing with hordes, you're only dealing with a select few.

Of course the forums might implode, but that's something else entirely.

18. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    and that is under the assumption more aggregators with original novels appear and that they help NU out and do all the work for us.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  19. Diamona

Diamona [Forever Alone Psychotherapist]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ever read the story about King Midas having donkey ears? RRL is kind of like the well in it.

…Good point. I yield to your logic. NovelUpdates is a site that hosts links to translator sites, but does not necessarily produce the content itself. By that logic, allowing for English originals to show up misses the point entirely, since that would be asking for NU to support them. Did I understand your point, or are these balls you are throwing still sailing over my head?

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  20. Stormingtiger101

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, ok.
    Thanks for filling me in. I would say that's a good idea. In terms of a vetting list I would argue dedication to the craft and the project is what should be considered more important, than other aspects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.