Parth Rant: The problems with adding originals to NU

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Parth37955, Sep 29, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There will be an original subforum on NUF with more moderators.

Imagine me having two websites. One is NU and the other one is NU originals. Translated novels and original novels will be completely separated. That's the best way I can explain it.

Astaroth likes this.
  2. BunnyPillow

BunnyPillow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :0

...no

crimsonwolf8439 likes this.
  3. craBebe

craBebe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Has anyone ever sang you the frosted flakes theme song. I feel like that has to have happened multiple times in your life.

4. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    @Nom de Plume did the other day. I think.

I think that was the song she was trying to sing?

5. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    ouch

I just banned the lyrics from my brain :x

crimsonwolf8439 likes this.
  6. Diamona

Diamona [Forever Alone Psychotherapist]

Reading List:
    Link
    …Have you read Sankarea? Remember in the beginning how Rea screams into a well about all her life problems? Same thing.
    Or in a crasser way of explaining RRL fan base and writers, they have the melodrama of high schoolers, the literacy of middle schoolers, and the maturity of elementary schoolers.

@Tony Uh, to be honest, in the post I made that went "Hey Tony", I did have that theme song run through my mind. It was after I typed it, I swear.

7. Vrethalya

Vrethalya Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    i think putting it on a filter might be a good idea, so some people could just stay out of it
    also, is it possible to make a separate ranking system for originals and translated one, and put it on the tiny weeny corner, so it might help the author to promote their work and motivate them to make a better story (like an empeloyee of the month thingie)

wellp, doing a charity work and allowing people to submit their original work is a good idea
    but if the site became a big thing and people would come over to look for it (or maybe some publisher looking for a potential novel (hey, it might happen, even though the chances a re low, it still have a chance)) would it cause some trouble since NU also host an illegally translated web/light novel (without the author's consent and all)?

8. Crimson Nanashi

Crimson Nanashi Suu | Loves and protects Master

Reading List:
    Link
    They actually are since people use them as an excuse to either not read something cause it has a trope or will bash on it and say it's bad cause it had certain tropes in it AND the worst part is they convince other people to not read it while giving some BS reason to them. People bash on series like Hundred (never read not watched it) saying it's a rippff of certain series while completely ignoring whatever originality or good parts it contains. One of the responses was literally "it looks like a carbon copy of IS Infinite Stratos so it must be bad cause IS sucks". This kinda bullsh*t thinking really pisses me off. Everything in the world is neutral. It's only our thoughts and values that determine if it's good or not. Therefore there are no series that are sh*tty.

9. Diamona

Diamona [Forever Alone Psychotherapist]

Reading List:
    Link
    @Crimson Nanashi I read Hundred before finding out about IS. I stopped because I thought the author's attempt at subtlety about the whole situation of the roommate being a girl in the beginning was terrible. There are other reasons, but that sticks out like a sore thumb.
    Tropes are tools. They can be wielded deftly OR ineptly.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2016
    Arcturus likes this.
  10. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm separate sigh affiliate or sister web huh
    like BT there affiliates sites on there
    :rolleyes:

11. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    So around when do you think the subforum for originals might be implemented? I would rather not have to wait a whole year to get it

12. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    So if you enable the originals to show in the feed, does that mean you have to have them mixed or can you (easily) scroll through the updates for translated and original novels separately?

Basically would there be two links so I can have to different tabs open simultaneously, one with translated novels & another with originals?

13. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. They are two separate pages entirely

Astaroth likes this.
  14. ImmortalDreamer

ImmortalDreamer [7 Sins][OriginPrince][Ero God][Phantasma]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I agree with you here... It would be nice if another website shows up in the web; one which could become a platform for these originals to showcase themselves... I'm not talking about something like RoyalRoad...

My friend is the admin for a blog and they offer editing to the writers who submit their originals to them, if they want to post it over there... So I'm thinking it'd be nice if this was done on a bigger scale... We'll that's just my thoughts though..

15. Sosseres

Sosseres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It feels strange there is no site that has managed originals well. There are a lot of sites that offers pretty good support but none that became THE site for it as far as I can tell. Probably due to not being able to monetize on it.
    Sites like https://www.fictionpress.com/ doesn't have a rating system and no monetizing system but are good otherwise.
    Royalroad is a small niche site.
    http://finestories.com/ is also pretty small.
    http://www.elfwood.com/ stories died out a few years ago.
    There are probably hundreds of sites managing original works, which is the problem. You might never find the work you actually like because it is on a part of the web you don't visit. Then plenty of people publish their works and remove the free editions, never even write them or never edit them. Just as in other languages.
    Don't really hear a lot about how rich online novel writers become writing in English while you do about a few Chinese authors. Difference in where people are reading, English readers still read books mostly.
    Patreon is the only thing I've seen for English speaking authors writing online. Nothing large scale like the Korean or Chinese sites where you buy chapters (I know storiesonline has it for a little of their erotic content).

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  16. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So you won't be able to search both databases simultaneously by clicking a checkbox or something then?

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  17. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Good suggestion actually

18. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    http://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/1147186/

Thread Status: