Philosophical or science forum

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zaart, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Dori

Dori CDLevit.

Reading List:
    Link
    No. I've changed it temporary.

I'm not in the mood to explain things, nor do I know how to, nor do I posses enough knowledge, but, here, listen to this melody:

Zaart likes this.
  2. Twilight Fox

Twilight Fox 【Foxy】【Ayayayay!】

Reading List:
    Link
    *Sigh...* Unfortunately its true...Well in most cases. I can't remember the exact details on facing ones imperfections and its effect and reaction from ego(It was a weird research paper I once did) but yeah your right. They wouldn't take it well.

3. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    Well when i was a bit younger i tried something related to this with my parents, they blamed themself for something and i said something ridiculous stating that i was also at fault, and after that they yelled at me like i was truly the only culprit and when i tried to talk to them about what i did they just said that i was insolent and yelled more *sigh*
    Thats why i would like a forum where people are not enlightened but where they are calm enough to think before acting, where they understand things better and where research is something fun to do and not a chore in the members minds (i thinks its weird how many people do not like to cultivate their knowledge) and where we are not censored for having different idea but where we help each other by putting the other's idea through a trial by fire (thanks to conflicting ideologies) to perfect it.
    Ps: sorry my idealist/edgy side sometime show XD

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    Dori likes this.
  4. Omnifarious

Omnifarious Re: member

Reading List:
    Link
    in General Chat: Non-fic prefix. was added when someone suggested it a while ago add "no hijack" "serious" tag to the thread

Zaart likes this.
  5. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh! Thanks i did not know ^^
    Well nu is evolving ^^

6. Omnifarious

Omnifarious Re: member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, I suggested it so people can talk about books on, i dun no , speculative technologies, or string theory, nature of what rationality is etc or erm literary theories, human emotions, or even biography of interesting people...

Essentially boring shit

But so far, no one have used it as I hoped it would be, but its fine i guess. if I wanted it a certain way I should have posted something...

7. Twilight Fox

Reading List:
    Link
    What you want is a forum of open minded, intellectual. People who don't mind having a calm argument about sensitive things like political and moral opinions in WW2. People censor that sort of thing pleading reason like ."The Children will hear" or "It's inappropriate"! INAPPROPRIATE FOR WHO NOW? You know what I'm talking about to tell me to stop if you're worried about children...True there are some subjects that I wouldn't bring up around children, but using children as an excuse is hurting our society even more than not saying anything. Kids are not introduced to concepts like sex or gun laws until later stages. And even when they are introduced, it's not 100% certain they will listen or sink into their brains. A child's mind is built for learning if we introduced and taught them how to have safe sex at a young age maybe we wouldn't have abortion centers nowadays...

Dori likes this.
  8. Dori

Dori CDLevit.

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that that kind of topics can be implemented on NUF in two different ways: 1. A topic that will be free to all and where those who will break the rules will be banned/stoped to post; 2. A topic where people will be able to post only if they are invited. There are other possibilities.

I think that NUF, at this moment, lacks the necessary resources that are needed by such topics.

In a way, no one stops NUF users to discuss about such subjects in private, on Discord or to make their own forum/website.

I think that, on profiles, the rules are more permisive.

9. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe or maybe not, kids are taught not to smoke since young but a lot still do, but its true that not allowing them some knowledge just because they are young is dumb
    Indeed but on your profile only a few people go, and they often like what you do and won t contradict you.
    For exemple parth will never talk philosophy with me on my profile, but in a thread, if he think that i am being moronic he will at least tell me ^^

10. Dori

Dori CDLevit.

Reading List:
    Link
    On profiles... There are some limits. Limits of characters and time. I've had few interesting discussions on some profiles.

11. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    And so have i, its just harder.

Dori likes this.
  12. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ....Mcdog sounds like actual dogs of macdonald(that song)

The conversation should have a comment about mcdonald should have hot dogs because of the song . ended up singing like a bollywood movie.

Judgecutioner likes this.
  13. Twilight Fox

Reading List:
    Link
    True, but you remember all those anti-smoking ads. Smoking is a one way ticket to lung cancer, which is a legitimate concern. Young people dying of making stupid decisions like smoking is one of the worst memories a family can have of that person.

However, smoking is recognized to have negative effects on your heath, but things like unsafe sex or gun safty are also important so why havent they gotten attention?

As I said, abortion centers might not existin 10 years if children would learn at a young age "Use a condom!" or lives could be saved by teaching children how to handle situations where a firearm is present, if we had maybe the Orlando massacre wouldnt have happened...

14. Dori

Dori CDLevit.

Reading List:
    Link
    ...you know, not long that few days ago I've had read an article where the Catholic church had a major disagreement with a religious order regarding contraceptive methods.

https://api.elysium.opera.com/api/elysium/news/detail/05dca534569d5a2a6d3e64e1478e74b868311b01

Most often, religion and morals; praeconceptions and lack of education is what allows mistakes to be made, even when they can be avoided with little effort.

As .. Politics and religion aren't allowed on NUF as a subject of discussion and as I don't want to spam/ hi jack from this topic, I'll stop here.

15. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    I do not understand your point, it is true that death by lung cancer is dumb, but it do not stop the smokers
    And for the orlando massacre i think it would have been better to just have better teacher who are taught to notice things like this or to teach kids morals since young.
    For me its more like the result of bad parenting

16. Twilight Fox

Reading List:
    Link

Morals are good and all, but they don't save your life when someone runs into a building gunning down people. What I guess im trying to say is to train kids to react properly in a situation like that. If a man waks into a building gunning down people and a little 7 yr old gets lost in the commotion, she's on her own. What I'm saying, is that instead of crying "mommy mommy" like a normal child would in those circumstances, teach her to find a weapon, get to a safe place, and wait for help. Or better yet, escape from the guy shooting.

Now imagine if that child grew up and ran for president, or became a senator. They might look back to that day and think "Hmmm, Im glad Twilight Fox Sensei(IT COULD HAPPEN) taught me how to act in a situation like that. Lets pass a law to make sure everyone knows how to take care of themselves!"

That person then goes on and makes a class like "How to Survive 101" a mandatory class in elementary school, middle school, and high school. Not only would it teach you good life skills like how to look after your health, how to get a job, how to pay tax, it would also teach survival skills like how to escape from an armed assailant, basic first aid, and self-defense(NOT MARTIAL ARTS! There is a difference).

Dori and Zaart like this.
  17. Twilight Fox

Reading List:
    Link
    OK I read that article and im not going to rant and all but....

[​IMG]

18. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    Well the use of morals is to not have crazy shooter in the first place (it at least reduce the number)
    But yeah it would be both fun and useful to have a how to survive 101 where they teach this, and they could also teach how to give minor treatement when you are waiting for an ambulance to come ^^
    It would be indeed amazing if you were later thanked by a president XD
    Ay, i bet the mods are watching this and ready to close it if we go overboard XD

Dori likes this.
  19. Twilight Fox

Reading List:
    Link
    I srill stand by what I say. Morals may reduce the numbers, but all it takes is 1 to end the lives of many. Idiotic gun bans and morals be dammned. You just dont wait for a snake to strike to arm yourself. Knowing how to treat your wounds and fight back is a lesson I think should be introduced at a young age. You cant relie on human "Kindness" to see you through. Sure it exists and is helpful, but dont depend on it to keep you alive. Its your life! Protect it!

20. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    congrats for the double perfect 733 like and post~
    i'm saying that i indeed agree with you on this ^^ and i think that as long as you have a plan B and C it's a must to have some faith in others, it make life a lot easier.
    also if you can't depend on kidness, depend on greed, pride or something else.
    the "i will do everything by myself" is indeed great but limited.
    do you not sometime wish to find multiple you to help you? well depending on others is the same~
    you just have to watch your back and not forget to "pay" in one way or another your helper to have them die for you.
    thats what hitler did, he gave them pride, and they gave him their life.
    all were not with him but the engine still worked.
    also morals (religions, laws, social, ect...) are like a vaccine: it prevents the illness, and if the illness attack, it will at least be destroyed by the heavyness of the morals.
    well i exclud the crazys in my previous statement, nothing stop a madman.
    no methode are perfect, thats why you need multiple methode