potential Qidian business model: Watch video ad -> earn point -> get 3 chapters (or buy with money)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by JungleLucian, Apr 18, 2017.

?

Would you watch a 30 seconds video ad in exchange for 3 chapters? buy directly? or pirate?

1. I would watch a 30 seconds video ad in exchange for 3 chapters

75.0%
  2. I would purchase the chapter directly using money instead of watching ads

10.4%
  3. I would pirate (using aggregators)

14.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JungleLucian

JungleLucian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Found this cool business model that Tapastic.com is using (Tapastic is a competitor to Naver's webtoons.com)
    Would something like this work for Qidian?

An Example:

First 100 chapters are free. After that, each chapter will cost 1 point.
    Each point is $0.02 (so $0.02 per chapter). $1 will get you 50 points or 50 chapters.
    Or you can watch a 30 seconds video ads in exchange for 3 Point, which can be used to buy 3 chapters. Basically, 30 seconds of your time in exchange for 15 minutes of enjoyment of reading 3 chapters.

Similar to Qidian in China, you can also Tip the Author directly with the Points. The Author exchanges point for money.

http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/webtoons-101

https://help.tapas.io/hc/en-us/articles/115005798107-What-are-coins-used-for-and-how-do-I-get-them-

2. Raven_King

Raven_King Keeping an Eye out

Reading List:
    Link
    man, we gotta sit through them youtube adverts, this would be an acceptable level. but then there shouldn't be any intrusive pop ups on the site, so it's safe for non-Adblock browsing

eseul and Lord Meh Meh like this.
  3. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    2$ per 100 chapters sounds like a really good deal, much better than having to give someone 60$ so he'll translate one chapter :eek:

eseul and namia91 like this.
  4. valdesaga

valdesaga [IDN] [7thMay] [V]aldes

Reading List:
    Link
    I like that, watching ads.

Already used watch ads from any mobile games lol

If top up system ( coin )

I hope qidian using codapay (phone credit) or google wallet.

5. Fosk91

Fosk91 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, that depends. Many apps that use that kind of business model prevent you from watching any more ads once you've reached a certain quota. In that case i'd probably just go for an aggregator. But in any case, why the hell should we consider this while they are free right now?
    It's like shooting your own foot :S.
    Kinda reminds me that useless kid that went "professor, you forgot we had a test today" xD

6. kfahad

kfahad 『The Lurker Beast』『Beast fallen』

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it okay if you just play the ads and not watch it?
    is that counted?xD
    i don't read CN anymore but i can help reader tru that.

7. Deleted member 43009

Deleted member 43009 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    a single ad for 3 chapter seems unprofitable

8. StormHawk

StormHawk I’m Back To Drop Bombs

Reading List:
    Link
    Smart idea. But it might not work since the popularity is not as much as in China.

9. JungleLucian

Reading List:
    Link
    It is similar to TAD where fans watch ads. Gain TAD points and donate them to their favorite creators/youtubers etc..

https://www.gettad.com/about/

Basically, you can earn $0.50 per day maximum with TAD to donate to your favorites.
    Each ad viewing will get you $0.03 to donate to your favorites.

10. JungleLucian

Reading List:
    Link
    p.s. Tipping is pretty popular on Qidian in China.

For example, A Will Eternal Tipping Page for this week
    http://book.qidian.com/fansrank/1003354631

1) 11000 Qidian Points Tip (110 yuan = $15.71 USD tip)
    2) 10100 Qidian Points Tip (101 Yuan = $14.42 USD tip)
    3) 10000 Qidian Points Tip (100 Yuan = $14.28 USD tip

etc....

A Will Eternal receives 108 Tips today alone. Most of tips are in the range of 100 Qidian Points (1 Yuan = $0.14 USD) or 200 Points ($0.28 USD) but there are some that tip large amount like the above.

On the other hand, novels that are not really popular in China might be lucky to get $2-4 USD in tip a week.
    For example, the novel I'm In Hollywood received 5 tips this week (300 Points, 200 Points, 200 Points, 100 points, 100 Points). This add up to 9 Yuan or $1.29 USD in tip.

http://book.qidian.com/fansrank/3383061

The author of this novel isn't earning nearly enough money to write full-time. Which is a pity since I'm In Hollywood is probably one of the best Rebirth story being translated into English. And the author is probably earning $20 a week from Sales and Tips.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  11. DeathStroke96

DeathStroke96 『President of Sindria Trading Co.』『Uncle』『GOD』

Reading List:
    Link
    oh another business model for qidian, i havent seen a new one for at least a week...

Spiritsong and Ai chan like this.
  12. JungleLucian

Reading List:
    Link
    Tapastic is using this model so it does look promising.

They sell both web comics/toons and novels on there. Or Free Reading for those that watch some video ads.

It is decently popular

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tapastic&hl=en
    Installs
    100,000 - 500,000

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/tapastic.com
    Global Rank 8,412
    Rank in United States 3,280

Not my genre of Reading but they have 270 Novels on there to Read for Free with Ad or to Purchase.
    https://tapas.io/books?browse=ALL

Popular
    Trending
    Fresh
    Staff Picks
    All Books

Mostly Romance so it's a no go for me. But I do like their business model of Free Reading for everyone and the Authors get Paid through money purchases and ad revenue.

13. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind as long as it's under 20 second it will make me lost my patience if every chapter I need more than that cuz it men I have less time to read~ for point? I don't care at all~ when the add beyond annoying simple toss the side~

14. JungleLucian

Reading List:
    Link
    TAD has a limit of 17 ads per day. So if this is implemented, there would be similar limit too.

But with 17 ads, you can read 51 chapters on Qidian International per day.

That's about 5 hours of reading per day on www.webnovel.com

I doubt anyone read that much especially since the reader would also read for free on Wuxiaworld, volarenovels, Gravitytales etc...
    Wuxiaworld has many more popular novels compare to Webnovel.com so many readers would read on there more.

15. Fosk91

Fosk91 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, when i binge read a series i easily read 100-150 chapters per day, and that's while i spend 9-10 hours a day working, so... yeah, that's not gonna cut it xD. And if i'm not working and have nothing in particular to do i can easily get up to 11-12 hours of reading per day. Of course these are extremes, but even for daily reading, once your reading list starts increasing, although 51 chapters is probably enough, it's cutting it close, especially for people like me who often stack up chapters

16. JungleLucian

Reading List:
    Link
    If you read 100 chapters a day (10 hours of reading) on webnovel.com, you can accumulate ad points each day and not use it. Stack up the point if you will.

You can read on Wuxiaworld, volarenovels for a few days, accumulate 200 chapter points on Qidian webnovel.com from ads, then binge read.

You can also add $5 worth to the Qidian account, which would get you 250 chapters points. Add this to what you already earn from video ads, you will have a lot of Qidian webnovel points to read.

Tapastic right now is a lot more popular than Qidian International (100,000-500,000 installs on Android) and they have thousands of web comics and 270 novels to purchase/read for free with video ad points. This revenue model is working for them. I believe it can work pretty well for Qidian also. Those that can afford the money will just buy the chapter. $0.02 per chapter is very cheap. Those that can't afford the $0.02 per chapter will just watch video ads to gain points. Qidian International earn money either way. Pirated Aggregators won't get the traffic. It's a win win.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  17. LazyLuong

LazyLuong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see no reason why they can't offer both option. the pay will remove ads, whereas the free watches ad videos. Although ad videos option is only good for pc users, for mobile user on (limited bandwidth) data plan, it's a terrible idea.

18. JungleLucian

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you read the opening post where readers can buy the points directly instead of watching video ad?

First 100 chapters are free. After that, each chapter will cost 1 point.
    Each point is $0.02 (so $0.02 per chapter). $1 will get you 50 points or 50 chapters.

Tapastic allow users to buy. Or watch video ads to get Coins and then buy chapter.
    Identical model for Qidian International.

As for mobile users on limited bandwidth, 30 seconds video ad does not use that much data. You can also use wifi to watch the video ad on your phone so there will be no data charge - many places have free wifi to use. Or you can just spend $5 and get 250 chapters to read.

Did some research on google: A 30 sec video ad on 480p resolution will take up about 3MB of data charge.

19. LazyLuong

LazyLuong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Only very few franchise offer free WiFi, so no, it's not everywhere and you're still paying as a customer to have access to their wifi. Data plans are not cheap here, it cost $75 for 1GB of data, or $85 for 2GB of data. That's just recently too, not long ago, we only get half the bandwidth for the same price. Right now, I only have 500mb data per month, so I rather not waste 3MB on an a video ad.

20. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Getting 2 cents per video view is pretty hard these days. That is a CPM of 20$. Even 10$ CPM for video ads tends to be difficult to get when incentives are given. But there are some rewards programs that do give you 1 cent per video view. (not many)

There also tend to be IP limitations per video per campaign. So the amount of videos you can get people to watch is limited.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.