programming (am lazy...) (wiki, youtube or guides wanted)

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by branislavs369, Jul 18, 2017.

1. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you wanted to be lazy, you should go into programming because how else can you let your computer do your work for you if you don't know how to instruct it in the first place?

That being said, programming isn't exactly something you pick up from wiki and youtube guides and such. Those are helpful for answering any questions that come up as you program. But, unfortunately, the best teacher for programming is to just dive right in. You basically learn programming by solving problems and gaining experience.

Your best bet is to sit down, come up with a problem. Then try and solve it. Even better is to have someone on the side to answer any questions because sometimes looking up the answer can take an hour just because you don't know how to ask the question.

2. Drakaos

Drakaos Member (Patriarch?) of the Anti-Qidian Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    I know a programmer who is somewhat helpful and likes helping other people learn how to program. His discord username is tzu#9260. If you ever have any questions I know for a fact he is fairly adept in Python.

3. Shaiole

Shaiole Mad scientist

Reading List:
    Link
    Someday when you code enough, it will all just click and you be like "ohhhh".

Well that is what happened to me.

Studying computer science is so hard lel. I dont understand machine learning af

4. ZedOud

ZedOud Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. LazyLuong

LazyLuong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Although C/C++ is a great language to master, it would not be my recommend choice to first study with. You can start with something simpler like TURING, than move onto Java and/or C#.

C/C++ is quite unfriendly for newcomer who don't understand programming easily, because you have to deal with the whole memory management mess with pointers leading to crash and/or memory leak, whereas Java and C# is more user friendly with their garbage collections. Eventually you will want to learn C/C++ (well C++11/14).

Not to mention, Java and C# has a huge library to help simplify your coding, whereas with C++, you need to learn to search, download, setup open-source libraries to make your coding life easier.

6. Zont Blueprint

Zont Blueprint Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that a comment before said that learning algorithms would be a good idea, and I think in that way too.
    You said that you are proficient in learning languages, so maybe the problem is what to do and why the heck should I do that in that way, as you said that when you see the "why" or the "how" things get easier to you.
    Start structured programming (programs that generally do a thing and that is all) and then advance to object oriented programming, if you think that this is what can help you, feel free to ask me anything.
    PD: Sorry if my English have problems.

7. branislavs369

branislavs369 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks that's a good idea i will try it tomorrow, its already 3 in the morning here :D

8. Needhydra

Needhydra Everything is on Fire

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright i'm going to throw my 2 cents in here. Personally i think python is horrible for learning. I suggest Java or Processing maybe c#.

But definitely Processing, it has all the core stuff that all the more advance languages have. It also lets you do very visual stuff very easily so you can feel you are doing impressive(normally anything outside of command line gets hard fast). Also The Coding Train has tutorials/methodology videos that show you what he is making, how he made it and why he doing it the way he is doing it.

noisypixy likes this.
  9. Doomr

Doomr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, it appears that I did misinterpret your text. On a side note, I don't think being good at languages has a correlation to being good at programming, if that's what you were trying to say. I can English, Cantonese, Mandarin, and Japanese, but I am still terrible at programming.

10. branislavs369

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not saying that has some correlation i just wanted to say with that wall of text that i am someone who can't start doing something when i know that the ceiling is just above my head and languages were something like that for me. I could concentrate my studies on languages and do that what i am talented in but i just would not be happy doing it and that's why programming is so appealing to me. I just don't believe i will ever hit that wall that i hit with every language i learn because programming moves way faster than i would ever be able to learn. It isn't static and that's what i like about it. Furthermore i am a little obsessed with math. My favorite kind of stories are LitRPG because i love games and i love imagining what math was used in creating stats, DMG etc...
    So it wasn't about languages but languages were an example i used to explain my point of view

11. TheHawkk

TheHawkk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Doubt you're going to get good or stick with it if you don't even care enough about it to do your own searching (On google or even this fucking forum itself). The question has been asked a million times since the internet came around.

12. branislavs369

Reading List:
    Link
    Since a long time ago i believed in the fact that when you have a problem and you go asking for help to a place where there are many people at least 1 of them will be able to give you a good answer. If i didn't ask here for help i would never know about algorithms being something i need to learn before programming.

13. chucke

chucke Going towards the glorious future

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I usually don't read and watch videos to learn languages as I rely on intuition and my search abilities. So I read language documentation and implementing different tasks - state what I want and I do the work to achieve that - as practice is essential in programming. For example I decided to write a tool that would allow me to construct UI using DSL - I spend time learning the UI library, spend time learning some language tricks, ran into couple of language/library issues, created workarounds. Some tasks might even lead to learning different frameworks etc. You are bound to learn a lot by practicing programming.

Reading books about language is too tiresome and boring. I don't like watching videos and tutorials as it spends a lot of time with little profit. But sometimes they are needed because exist a lot of actions that can be done only by "you either know it or not".

Nowadays I prefer reading books about something high level - like cookbooks or architecture of software. But honestly speaking I am not trying to become the top 10 of the world in programming languages so my approach might not work for everybody.

14. TheHawkk

Reading List:
    Link
    There's no requirement to learn about discrete mathematics before programming... Lots of things you can do without it.

15. branislavs369

Reading List:
    Link
    I know that it would be possible but i would like to have a deeper understanding of what i am doing before i do it so it is a good idea to look it up. At least i think it is...

16. TheHawkk

Reading List:
    Link
    Dumb way of looking at it though. It'll take a while before you're at a point where you need to apply that knowledge. Especially if self-taught. Even more so if your maths are also self-taught.

17. branislavs369

Reading List:
    Link
    I have 3 more years time before i go to get a higher education and where i am from it isn't really that great... most people (myself included in the future ) only waste that 4 years of our lives because we need that paper, without it you can't get a well paid job. But the people offering these jobs know that the education here is shit so they do practical tests that most of the time you will not learn. So in some way or another in my country everyone is self taught

18. LazyLuong

LazyLuong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You really only need basic algebra knowledge to do programming. Only specialize area will require higher level of math. If you want to code video games, you should learn vectors.

Algorithms is another story and is base on logical steps require to solve your problem. It can be very simple to very complex.

The other thing about programming is the design patterns. Design pattern is a set of coding solutions that are used for common problems. You will likely end up using multiple existing design pattern to create your software framework.

The hardest thing about programming, is keeping things simple. I'm actually serious about that. The more experience you are programming, the more you will instinctively code thing complicatedly to make it more readable, flexible, and future-proofing.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  19. Needhydra

Needhydra Everything is on Fire

Reading List:
    Link
    lol the only reason to learn discrete mathematics is for very low level stuff(that and a uni requirement).

Let me sum everything you need to take away from discrete mathematics.
    1. Boolean algebra is painful
    2. avoid division for performance
    3. be thankful that you don't do math like a computer

20. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Do it for money, it will motivate you.