Programming languages

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Fallen Hero, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Fallen Hero

Fallen Hero [Xerrax]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey guys, I wanna learn programming languages and Idk about them so can someone explain to me what are these languages? Where should I use them? And where can I learn them?

Wujigege likes this.
  2. Daily Prog

Daily Prog Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Language to program something
    2. Idk what do you mean by that
    3. Search in google. there are many tutorial about it

Some programming language example :C , Java , C++

3. Haevrus

Haevrus No.1 Incognito Webuser

Reading List:
    Link
    A formal vocabulary and set of grammatical rules for instructing a computer to perform specific tasks is known as a programming language. Two types of languages - Low Level & High Level. The term programming language usually refers to high-level languages, such asBASIC, C, C++, COBOL, FORTRAN, Ada, and Pascal.

You can learn these languages in any educational institutes . Or you can take supplementary courses and diplomas.

4. Yvi

Yvi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's waay to many programming languages. For me, i just JAVA, 'cause that's what I've been taught at school. Java is an object oriented, that is good for creating application. Many more, try googling what are the popular languages and try to learn some of them.

5. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    just ask google to learn. Though the best way is to take classes of the programming language.
    many people start out with either python or HTML/CSS or Javascript.
    Hmtl is basically the words we see on a website and what they are/do
    CSS is the fonts, colours and design we see on a website.

Awe 128 likes this.
  6. S1ash

S1ash Muhahahaha

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on what you like:
    1. If you are into web, try w3schools.com, they have html- basic for websites, css- style for the website, and javascript.
    Web also has many more languages like PHP. But I would start with html, all you need is a notepad and you can make simple websites.
    2. For programming, I started with Java at my college, but there are ALOT of languages and different ways people start.
    3. For database you can start with SQL I guess

Try www.codecademy.com, they have actual lessons

Good Luck!

Wujigege likes this.
  7. zeroprime77

zeroprime77 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As for where you should use them it depends on the language. Java for example is often used in Web developement.
    As for where to learn, besides the net, you can find programming books 8n larger bookstores and many colleges and some high schools offer courses

8. saffu

saffu dead

Reading List:
    Link
    python is super basic and easy to learn and pretty commonly used today

but you should learn assembly instead

9. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IF(SMART==TRUE)
    {
    WHILE(LIVING==TRUE)
    {
    Google.LEARN(Everything);
    Programming.DoSomethingUSEFUL(WhatSomeoneElseNeed);
    IF(DYING)
    LIVING=FALSE;
    }
    }
    ELSE
    {
    Programming.Quit();
    Google.LEARN(SomethingElseOtherThanProgramming);
    }

Honest to God this is programming language "the meaning of life".
    If you execute this, it will eventually shows the result "42"

On serious thought, codeacademy should be a good start.

Hunta, Wujigege and veen like this.
  10. Qt

Qt Qt is cute

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Zkizzik

Zkizzik Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd like to add in more of the technical term, programming languages is something that translate computer level command code to something we can understand and easy to work with. The difference in how each language translate and treat those command but for someone to decide just look at the prospect of hiring or avaliable library to the project you're going to do is enough.

12. Yipie

Yipie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All answers above are good.

The WHY, when people ask these questions become important. (Gives you drive, helps others point you in a direction, etc.)

What is your project? (Don't have one, find one.)

Honestly, the language is not overly important; the concepts and the way to think in/for computer languages, is.

Edx.com or udacity.com both have beginning courses to learn this. (And yes, learn in English, as its the language of computers.)

Reddit.com/r/learnprogrmming and stackoverflow.com are places to read and seek help. (Search before asking.)

Dreizehn and justmehere like this.
  13. Alvastar

Alvastar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, about the main programming languages you will see used in School and Companies are C, Java, PHP, and Python. This is because C is used for older legacy programs from the 90's as well as for iPhone apps. Java is used for the same reason by companies as well as some minor web development. PHP is used for web development, but is slowly being put aside by companies who realize that it's a pain to figure out where a fair number of errors occur in an object-oriented structure, which costs time and money.

The real future is in Python. I would suggest you learn it first, as your first language gives you all kinds of habits, and Python is written in Psedo-code style that lets you build a decent foundation. It's used for standard programing, building GUI's and games, even web-development if you pull in the Django module (Reddit is using Django, btw).

Here's a good tutorial building a game to get you started learning https://www.raywenderlich.com/24252/beginning-game-programming-for-teens-with-python

14. tablelamp

tablelamp Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems to me like you lack any knowledge regarding programming and programming languages. So, let me share with you what little knowledge I have.
    The process of programming is, as Wikipedia states: "a process that leads from an original formulation of a computing problem to executable computer programs.". Let me explain that. Assume that you want your computer to do something. From allowing you to play your favorite board game on the computer, to having an advanced AI that gives you verbal sex, it could be anything. How do you get your computer to do that?
    First, you have to formulate the problem properly and gain an understanding of the problem. Say, if you want your computer to allow you play 'Snake' game, you have you understand how the game works, how it should look, etc.
    Secondly, you have to formulate algorithms. In any program that does is fairly interactive and interesting(a browser, an android game, or a massive program like a PC MMORPG), there are a huge, and I mean MASSIVE amount of algorithms involved. An algorithm is just a well-defined set of instructions. This means that the instructions have to be extremely specific and cannot be something vague. Something like "boil milk, add sugar and tea powder. Wait." is not a good algorithm for making tea. For human beings, you will have to make it more specific like "Heat 250 ml of water in an open container till it boils. When it starts boiling, reduce the heat and add 1 tablespoon of tea powder and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Mix well and wait for 2-3 minutes" would be better. However things will have to be made extremely specific for computers. In the tea algorithm, you will have to explain to the computer what is meant by terms such as "boil", "reduce the heat", and even seemingly simple terms like "add", "wait" and "mix".
    Now, let me skip over a couple of things and get into the final part: coding.
    This is the part where programming languages actually come into play. Programming languages are the languages that you use to give instructions to the computer in. You will have to write programs for the algorithms you have developed in some computer language like C++,C#, Java, Python or Haskell.
    Let me tell you something firsthand, the programming part is the easier part. Once you know one language, it is fairly easy to learn new ones. The tricky part is coming up with good algorithms and knowing how to simplify your problems properly.
    I am not going to suggest you resources to learn a language, because people seems to be doing that already. Hope I have been helpful. Cheers.

Dreizehn likes this.
  15. Tortex

Tortex [Lazy Tortoise that Dreams to be a Dragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    As Yipie said, the language itself isn't the focus, it's a tool. A programmer uses what tool the project needs, and learns to use new ones over time.

Programming is problem solving imo, you have an end goal and a set time to solve it. That's where I think the math in university courses come in, to enforce the logical problem solving skills. As to whether you NEED to go to an official course to get a diploma... That's up to you. Many people got hired based on a portfolio, everything learnt from books, the internet and programming whatever they wanted. And even with a diploma, a portfolio of small/medium projects helps a lot in showing you can actually do what you say.

As for a language, most games are made with C++, the engine side of them. The graphics use something else. Web development is html, javascript, css for "front end" and php for database interaction. Java is also popular but I'm not sure in what domain.

A site you can ask questions and find what others asked (many topics but programming is fairly big) is Quora.com I remember there was a question about languages there that got more detailed answers by professionals.

Dreizehn likes this.
  16. ProXy4

ProXy4 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I suggest you start with Batch and TI-BASIC, then maybe pick up Bash. With these languages, most other language should come quite easily, as the concepts should be understood. I really don't like it, but you can use Scratch. scratch.mit.edu

17. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I smell necromancy.

18. MrSplashy

MrSplashy Grey Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    You should first try to learn low-level Programming languages so that you could gain experiences and profeciency(correct my spelling) on programming and plus it could help you learn more.

19. shadowys

shadowys Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. You want to learn general programming. -> Python, Ruby, any "high-level programming language".
    2. You want to learn web programming. -> Javascript
    3. You want to learn how do computers work. -> C, Assembly
    4. You want to learn real programming. -> Lisp (Racket or SBCL or Clojure)

yuzuki likes this.
  20. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    These days, learning Javascript alone is enough to do almost everything. Web, Desktop, Mobile and if its not too complex, games.