Discussion Qidian Plagiarism (How many can we find?)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by SwiftC, Jul 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    There has been a lot of plagiarism going on already, when it comes to those covers. I just hope that nobody(the original owners) got hurt by that

2. NovaCi

NovaCi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    look as long as the cover being taken is not the main reason a person makes money off of their product it will not really matter. People take images all the time for avatars or to use as banners. As long as QI does not start selling hard copies of their novels using that image it won't matter at most they just take down a image if DMCA happens.

people read novels on QI to read the novels they do not really care about the cover. Now if QI actually started selling fan art of the novels they publish and that art is not something they paid to have made then yes it would be a problem. Right now those images are just a grey area of fair use like fan translation since its not the main reason they get subs from their readers in China. The original art person would have to prove their art is making QI more money or a advertisement.

All we can know for sure is the authors of the novels like other people on the internet just google for nice images that they feel look cool and matches their novels than copy n paste. Bam. you have a novel cover that was taken.

3. LeeEzekiel

LeeEzekiel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian has never cared about respecting intellectual property or creative work. It's always about the bottom line. If stealing art doesn't affect their profits, they won't give a damn.

Of course, I'm not saying that they're not the only ones who do this. Sadly there aren't many who respect the time, effort, and skill it takes to create good art.

4. Qidian

Qidian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a good chance to make things clear. Actually, all art materials we used in book cover are all paid and LICENSED. :p

gggo, Razogul, Chupchup and 3 others like this.
  5. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Even the one that looks like western book covers too?

Fulminata, Zhugenaut and mir like this.
  6. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you expect? China and most of it's so called businessmen, entrepreneur, etc. etc. are well known in that aspect. They literally copy other's people work for the sake of earning money China simply do not care about copyright laws.

Bunta likes this.
  7. kfahad

kfahad 『The Lurker Beast』『Beast fallen』

Reading List:
    Link
    I knew it! The OP is your people. lol
    I mean creating new account and talk open thread about you QI. hahaha

8. MostlyBlue

MostlyBlue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bro give me some raws and I'll do it right now, lmao, LETS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Hishiron

Hishiron Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's cheaper for them to just steal it from others. What do you expect from a company with no ethics or face?

10. NeaxD

NeaxD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean guys the official account says it paid all you guys have to do now is approach the original artist of the art to see if it's true. Even if this is a publicity stunt by Qi it's easily confirmable. then we can all back to not really caring about cover art that you look at for a few seconds b4 hopping into a novel.

AliceShiki likes this.
  11. Lyase

Lyase Caelum Codex

Reading List:
    Link
    Why did you post on this thread then? Probably the same underage troll who post invisible dragon on every thread and thinks it's funny.

Wujigege likes this.
  12. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, how about the content of the novel? Like Harry potter in rebirth of the legendary guardian? Or warcraft in the great thief? You may have all the licence for IRAS but wondering if you can claim that you paid actor and actress in I'm in hollywood or all the movie licence in terror infinity?

Wujigege likes this.
  13. CKtalon_TMW

CKtalon_TMW Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not infringement because it's a stock art package they bought (for the international novels). The other novel that uses a similar cover also bought the same stock art package. Can't say for the Chinese covers.

Razogul, Stark3, lactea and 3 others like this.
  14. frenzy85

frenzy85 Not Well-Known Yet

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't been following news on QI recently (is the drama still going on?)

Doesn't Qidian have an account on NUF for this kind of thing?
    So you're a spokesperson for QI now on top of being a TLer?

Just curious. I know I'm biased against them, so I tried to be careful with my wording. Apologies in advance if it comes off as offensive in any way.

Edit: scratch that, they did respond with their account as well...

Aiiee and Wujigege like this.
  15. CKtalon_TMW

CKtalon_TMW Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just answering some facts. I had also questioned them when this was first brought up, since AC is one of the novels I'm doing. I was satisfied with the answer. Of course, it would have been better if they had a pure artwork department that creates everything from scratch without using stock images but that is quite an expensive and time consuming process.

16. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Getting that done for CD right now, and I can absolutely concur that it is indeed pretty damn expensive on a per cover basis...

17. 101that

101that Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can involve fans in future (ISSTH?) since some of the fans are pretty good artists and they have "passion". Run a competition EARLY, pick some winners, check and re-check winners (for originality).

18. Alyuna

Alyuna Tactical Dove, Best Birb

Reading List:
    Link
    hahahahahahaha . . .

fun thread

19. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, stock art, that explains it. Thanks for sharing that info here.
    edit: Decided to suspend judgement.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  20. The Great Me

The Great Me Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As noted earlier in this thread, the cover used http://www.novelupdates.com/series/paradise-of-demonic-gods/ is from Prince of Thorns. That was originally published by Ace iirc. I have too many boxes of books to look for it to make sure. But whether it is Ace or another label owned by the big 5 publishing houses is immaterial. It was definitely a big 5 published novel.

So, I really do not hate to break it to you, but the big 5 publishers do not use stock images for their book covers. Each cover is a commissioned work.

I think most of us are well aware of the fact that Chinese companies have no respect for the copyrights of foreign works. The PDG cover is ripped directly from a cover that would be in any sort of public domain this soon. So, I seriously doubt Qidian has licensed the art work they are using for any of those cover pictures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.