Reader Extension for Chrome

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by thissisnate, Dec 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. thissisnate

thissisnate Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    When iOS came out with reader mode, I began to read a ton of novels with it and started to hate the idea of reading on my laptop. Thus began my search for a reader mode for my laptop to duplicate iOS' reader mode and I ended up with the CleanPages extension (no longer available) for the Opera browser which I then finagled to work on Chrome. As seen above, it is quite minimalist in design and a great extension for removing basically everything except the plot. It is the best solution in supporting TL'ers by actually visiting their site while also allowing a fine user reading experience (forgive my adblock ;-;).

File can be found here: https://www.mediafire.com/?5tk2iz929sbjhrf
    Step 1: Unzip the file and put the file somewhere where you won't delete it on accident (I just put mine into Documents)
    Step 2: Go into your Chrome extensions (type chrome://extensions into your address bar) and activate your developer mode [​IMG]
    Step 3: Click Load unpacked extension and find the file that you unzipped. (For me it was C: Documents/2.0.7)
    Step 4: Set up the color scheme that you like by right clicking the cleanPages icon and clicking options

This extension sometimes runs into problem if you have more than one window open or just bugs out sometimes and will "readify" a page that you don't want to readify. Just duplicate the page it readifies and copy and paste the page you want to readify into the original tab that was readified. Another issue is that it will ask if you want to disable the unrecognized extension everytime you open Chrome. Just say no or else you will have to reinstall the extension.

3 modes I use:
    Dark: [​IMG]
    Sepia: [​IMG]

White:[​IMG]

Avarrencus likes this.
  2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    This is very helpful, thank you very much for sharing this to us, really appreciate it.

Oh, I think this should be under Tutorial and Resources if I'm not mistaken.

3. LordCorwin

LordCorwin Supreme Book Lord; Leader of the Fiction Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, Chrome has a built in reader extension. You just have to activate it because it was never publicly activated. All you have to do is open the properties for your Chrome shortcut and add this
    at the end of the target line. Make sure there is a space between " at the end of the target and the --. Also, relaunch chrome after adding this.

I use it all the time. To make things even better, when you're binge reading, it will 'distill' 1 to 10, 11 to 20, in sets of 10. If you start from say 15, it will only go 15 o 20, then 21-30, etc. I use it all the time.

It shows up in the menu section as Distill Page, and it searches for the [body] tags I believe and while I have had a few rare pages distill the comments as well, though that was only on one site.

I Eat Monsanto likes this.
  4. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Respect translators,

Its ok to use adblock for annoying popups, but click things on their pages.

5. Morvian

Morvian 『Weakened King』『Abandoned Man』『Man Of Culture』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well Microsoft Edge Has It Included Already
    but i think this is more good than edge, maybe!
    so thx for this sharing!

6. LordCorwin

LordCorwin Supreme Book Lord; Leader of the Fiction Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a nice idea in theory, but not everyone has a device capable of handling content available in this day and age. My first kindle was barely able to handle going online because the browser in it was 'experimental' and my laptop is so old that it has an apoplectic fit if I try to even load wuxiaworld or gravity tales. It can barely handle most wordpress pages these days. Only thing I can really use it for is a word processor.

And I'm more than willing to let ads load, and click on the occasional one to help out, but sometimes, you don't want to break immersion by loading page after page, so a reader app that will load several pages at once like the Chrome distiller is nice, I can read 10 chapters in a row without issue, then load the next page normally, click on some stuff, then distill a bunch of pages again. Just because we don't do it like you do it doesn't mean we're wrong and it sure as hell doesn't mean we don't respect translators.

justmehere likes this.
  7. I Eat Monsanto

I Eat Monsanto He who courts death

Reading List:
    Link
    Firefox is way easier, theres a reader book icon next to the refresh icon and when you click it the browser takes the important text on the page and puts it into a nice format for reading

8. thissisnate

Reading List:
    Link
    Oooo this is good! Can you change font/colors?

9. Sulfate

Sulfate Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can also just use the Pocket extension/app, which has the added benefit of automatically syncing across all your devices and also saving where u last were, so u can pick up reading on your phone where you left off on your PC or vice versa.

10. Lokumi

Lokumi 『The second greatest trash of society』

Reading List:
    Link
    I have just tried, and apparently you can't, here is the result:
    [​IMG]
    In fact it's quite bad I think...

11. thissisnate

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah but its good for loading a lot of pages in GT which my extension can't. Pretty useful for a quick and easy reader mode if you don't care for colors.

12. Lokumi

Reading List:
    Link
    GT ? Gravitale ? Personnaly color and font don't change anything for me, the only thing I care is the size of the letters, and the zoom in chrome is just horrible because you can only zoom from 100% to 110% then 125% then 150% ectect That's one of reason why I like Gravitale since you can change the size of the letters

13. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    That would be useful for mobile I guess...

14. Lokumi

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't use chrome on mobile so I don't know... But on firefox (mobile) there is a reader mod, he is quite cool

SoulZer0 likes this.
  15. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I see. I'll try that out as well then. Does it include dark mode? I usually read novels at night.

16. thissisnate

Reading List:
    Link
    firefox mobile does do dark mode. Just put out the post because I didn't know of any reader for chrome.

SoulZer0 likes this.
  17. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for telling me

18. Lokumi

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, with size of the font and "reading list" (sorry I don't know the actual translation)

SoulZer0 likes this.
  19. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks

Lokumi likes this.
  20. otoshi-god

otoshi-god "Alive";[False Illusionist]

Reading List:
    Link
    i just use an extension to make the colors to change to his opposite.....