Reading Preferences based on Novel Origin desuwa

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by LivingCorpse, Dec 16, 2015.

?

What are your Reading preferences?

1. Chinese Novel (Wuxia, Xianxia, etc)

35 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Japanese Novel (LN or WN)

40 vote(s)
    81.6%
  3. Korean Novel

17 vote(s)
    34.7%
  4. Western Novel

13 vote(s)
    26.5%
  5. Original Works/Fanfiction

13 vote(s)
    26.5%
  6. I only watch Manga and Anime

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. I don't read any of those, I just Sign Up for Chaos

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LivingCorpse

LivingCorpse Half-dead Neighborhood's Undead

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to know how many people are reading novel based on the novel country origin desuwa.
    Please answer the poll, thank you desuwa.
    You can choose multiple choice desuwa.

2. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    Nyanko's opinion on novel types is "If it's interesting, lets read it! Who cares where its from? So long as its in English"

makenai89, Kuroguma, Jaded and 7 others like this.
  3. LivingCorpse

Reading List:
    Link
    Umu... good argument desuwa.

4. hayyan

hayyan Gold Brick

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm currently reading only chinese novel
    otherwise i read jap/chineses/korean

5. whosays25

whosays25 ^_^

Reading List:
    Link
    I only read Chinese, Korean and Japanese novels translated to English.. I love reading lightheaded narration and I rarely see one in a western novels...

6. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
    I like any interesting novel, but the mangahere.com ritzy of interesting novels tend to be Chinese...

7. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same, jana~. If it interests me, I'll read anything, jana~

8. Reright

Reright Someone who tried to keep it simple but failed

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't really matter to me ...I really don't pay attention anyways ...As long as I can read it and enjoy it (I'm basically an English only speaker )

9. tocos10

tocos10 Even more then the greatest Poster

Reading List:
    Link
    A good book is a good book.

10. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer things in English or Chinese as I can read both pretty well.

I think I like Chinese and Japanese the most. Korean ones are like gems that I rarely encounter. Western ones are the ones I least like but I do read them from time to time. There are just waaaaaay too many of them with so many mediocre ones. I hate their definition of Romance, which is any hot person I see, I want to fuck. And I will instantly love them and go through hell for them without anything actually happening between us to justify it other than his or her hotness.

I don't mind it if it is clearly not love, like LN with their harems or other situations because it is light and they don't try to make it work, but Western ones make it so dramatic and try so hard but ends up not really developing any relationships other than spitting out superficial words.

LivingCorpse likes this.
  11. LivingCorpse

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah... I think I understand what you mean desuwa.

12. marcelovelos

marcelovelos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Doesn't matter the origin, if it's good, than its okay. (though my favourite novels are chinese)

13. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    I read a lot of pretty much everything.

JP - Has ncode, very easy to get around there, GT version could be better, but i've bookmarked a few dozens of novels that are very unlikely to get translated within the following years unless a surge of new translations occurs.
    KR - Actually don't think I read that many atm, because either they're not that appealing or not that many, but they do have that are interesting, and the webtoons as well.
    CN - Somewhat easy to find, since they have many WN sites out there, but a bit harder to get around there, and some sites don't have all to read for free, also no idea where to find a clearly specified section for R-18 like ncode has
    Western - Depends on if you mean specifically novels written in that way online, or if books / paperback version of the online versions are okay as well. I do read a bit of those, but the local library doesn't have much of a foreign section so.
    Original - I took a break from reading several dozens on rrl a few months ago, but i'll get back to it eventually. Right now, only reading a few.

14. Waffle

Waffle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer Chinese novels, due to how 'complete' and interesting they are. They have hundreds, even thousands of chapters total, but despite their length, it rarely gets boring, and only for about 5 chapters or so, which is nothing in proportion to their length. Also, there are many (although untranslated) that play around with fun unorthodox ideas, and somehow the novel spans over many chapters. An example of such would be Terror Paradise, or Super Lottery System (Untranslated).

Japanese novels are nice because of the different premises the novel builds itself on, but overall they are short and slowly updated, resulting in a lot of skipped content; far more than I find pleasing.

Korean novels are pretty interesting, and longer than Japanese ones, but few are actually TL'ed, and the ones that I have seen are pretty mainstream and only slightly better than average at best. Of course, I haven't been exposed or read many Korean novels, especially due to their lack of translation, but that's how I feel about the matter.

Western novels are cool, but I prefer those that aren't a series, as they leave far too many plot-holes. It's much nicer to just read a single good book, than a series that adds more and more questions the more you read. Although I say that, I don't have too much experience with Western Novels due to the few that I read not being as interesting as the hype made it out to be.

Fanfiction. To be perfectly honest, it is probably the easiest to read and second place in my heart. The reason for that is, that when you start a new FF, you don't have to get accustomed to new terms, power levels, countries, groups, etc. Since it is based on a pre existing world, it is so much easier to read, and easier to settle into. The only downside is that if you are interested in certain categories, there won't necessarily be too many FF's of that category, and if you do start a good FF, chances are that it will end prematurely, with the author leaving; or, in the case of it having a good premise, the grammar may be horrible. You have to understand that the authors of FF's aren't necessarily professional writers, and are generally the bane of Grammar Nazis.

Original works are, similarly to FF's, are not necessarily written by professional authors. They can have plethoras of plot-holes, multitudes of grammar errors, and end prematurely. Overall, they are at the bottom of my list due to the vast majority of them being pretty bad or ending before really getting into the story, but nonetheless, there are some that are hidden gems.

Thanks for reading my wafflings, or skipping to this last line. Either way, you must understand that this is just an opinion, and not fact, so there will be people who prefer OW's, and hate Chinese novels. There will be people who love uncompleted FF's due to the ability for the reader to make their own ending, and there will be people who love Korean and Japanese novels. So don't take my wafflings to heart, as they are just my viewpoint.

15. LivingCorpse

Reading List:
    Link
    There is someone who just sign up for chaos desuwa.

16. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I started off with dubbed anime, switched to subs, then manga, then LN's, the CN's, then WN's. I was wondered around really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.