Recommend Magic School

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by TrueNineLives, Mar 24, 2017.

1. TrueNineLives

TrueNineLives Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi I would like a manga recommendation.

My criteria is School Life Magic Battle manga or an easy going school life fantasy.

I don't care if it's dropped or ended or whatever, I just want something to read.

I also read Mahouka, Negima, Mx0, already btw

2. Acitretin

Acitretin Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you tried "Knight & Magic"? The male lead is a programmer and mecha otaku in his past life then reincarnated in fantasy world and attend an academy.

3. Crono89

Crono89 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Veritas

4. Zero300

Zero300 『Mask Maker』『Kamen Rider Khaos』『Demon Immortal』

Reading List:
    Link
    Aphorism
    Busou Renkin
    Crepuscule
    Black Haze
    DICE
    Black Clover
    Gan-Kon
    Law of Ueki
    Kyoukai no Rinne
    Mob Psycho 100
    Noblesse
    Rising x Rydeen
    Rosario + Vampire
    PSI Kusuo Saiki
    Soul Eater
    The Gamer
    The World God Only Knows
    Zero no Tsukaima
    Tokyo ESP
    We On

5. Legacy611

Legacy611 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    suite life of zack and cody

6. FallenLife

FallenLife Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. wakkin

wakkin Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When you say "magic school" then of course the next word to come to mind is "bus". Ride on the Magic School Bus! Now that I say that though I have to wonder if those books are still around lol.

8. TheDeadOne21

TheDeadOne21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well it really depends on what you like, and how strict you are about the criteria.
    I don't really know how much you care about quality, but I guess I would have to recommend Parasyte, as it has a school setting.
    Your examples of what you've read are all Japanese, so I don't know if you want to go out of the box to korean or chinese styles instead. I kinda don't like most Japanese stories in general, but there are a few that were good. If your up for something pretty different heres some suggestions:

Tower of God - Thriller and my first recommendation to pretty much everyone out of all the novels on kissmanga. Not much to say other than high quality Korean webcomic.

Battle through the Heavens - While there are school arcs its a Chinese power up novel. Doesn't focus heavily on cultivation (pretty much at all) but is a fun read for plot and interesting dialogue without an obnoxious harem existing to destroy what value the story has. I wouldn't recommend if you plan on reading Btth as book has way more detail and an extra arc.

Rain - Strategy/OP based novel around kingdoms. Great sense of humor and honestly extremely high level content, one of the best translated stories I've read from manga. Here's a link should you like as this may be hard to find unless you know the cover art http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Rain

Lessa - I think this one might not be your cup of tea but its worth looking at. I looked at what you wanted and you gave a (generally) bad setting for a story and "easy-going" This one is about a god-like things introduction to human nature. Two words to describe it are "hidden gem" I'd put this as similar to parasyte, but worse as a whole. Parasyte is a triller, and the best thing I've ever read. I had to work my ass off to find a scanned and translated version from 2002, but now its easy to find because it got a somewhat new anime.

Msg me if you want some suggestions as I've read about 60 decent manga, more if you want some I wouldn't normally recommend based on them being terrible. As an english teacher once told me, nobody wants to read about something normal, what would be the fun if you knew the plot and everything that would happen before you ever read the book? Its paraphrased and not anywhere as clean as her memorized version, but school setting lend themselves to being extremely generic. Writing a good story or manga in such a setting is incredibly difficult, so I'm hesitant to recommend anything that isn't A-class material without saying your looking for generic crap. Hope you find what your looking for :)

edit: Parasyte is the only Japanese I recommended fyi