Recommend me DDR3 RAM 16GB.

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Claire the Lunatic, Feb 13, 2017.

1. read2much

read2much Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The PC is slow because of the CPU it is an iCore U series which use very like power. Which lead to slower CPU. A desktop Celeron is faster than it. Having more ram will help but you won't see a big speed different.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  2. wtfkjp

wtfkjp ASDFGGWP

Reading List:
    Link
    yes,video rendering, image rendering,object rendering, but the lighting are rendered by gpu(i think thats how i was told),
    and most 3D modelling applications uses gpu for rendering.

and, its much more cheaper to buy a gpu (for pc atleast) than to buy a cpu, where you have to buy a compatible motherboard and probably few pheriperals just to make it compatible.

but thats just best bs guessing

3. Littledragonlady

Littledragonlady The last member of Ancient Tomb Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Just replace your harddisk with ssd. Solid state drive offer up to 100 times of speed compared to the good ole hdd

4. Claire the Lunatic

Claire the Lunatic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    and less space.

5. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    SSHD is a compromise between SSD speed and HDD cheaper price.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Nameless Wanderer 『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    You have 2 ram slots on that laptop so you can have a max of 16gb of ram (8gb x 2). dmidecode is showing 4 slots because the CPU is capable of supporting up to 4 ram slots but in reality you only have 2 slots on your laptop.
    Also ya I would upgrade your ram cause 4gb of ram is definitely not gonna cut it.

7. Claire the Lunatic

Reading List:
    Link
    No budget for that, sorry.

8. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah well, SSHD wouldn't have help you that much anyways. And looking at it, seems like your Lenovo Z40-70 hard disk is an SSDH. An SSD would help, but it cost more. The problem with the hard disk you have is that it's an 5400 RPM. It's possible to change it for a 7200 RPM, but it depend on the heat dissipation of your laptop. So going for a faster one might overheat your laptop.

9. Claire the Lunatic

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there any external cooling fan strong enough for that?

10. blackhawkrider

blackhawkrider Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually campus computers specs are pretty low. However, if there are some Apple Computers, then it is better to work on those.
    Forgive me but I have no idea what currency you are referring to with "2.000.000"

11. Claire the Lunatic

Reading List:
    Link
    IDR.

12. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think I've ever seen something like that. You can possibly change the fan, but it depends on your laptop built, so it might be difficult to find a compatible one that fit the space in your laptop. The best solution is going for an SSD in that case. A 500 GB (or even a 256GB) should be more than enough for a laptop. If you require more storage space, you can always buy an external HDD later.

An SSD will bring a significant change to your laptop with faster load, cooler temp, battery should also last longer. But all that depend if you have a backup of your OS to install on it. Or would you have to buy a new one? So in that case, changing for an SSD might not be a good idea. If you have the know-how, you can clone your current OS and transfer it.

As for upgrading your RAM. Personally, I doubt it would improve much your situation. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, because it depends on what you do with your laptop in the end.

13. Claire the Lunatic

Reading List:
    Link
    I have converted to linux. OS doesn't bother me anymore. For RAM, I do need it. After all, not all analysis I've done is using the GPU.

MadHatter likes this.
  14. Reaper1710

Reaper1710 Greatest mass murderer (Undead)

Reading List:
    Link
    Buy a 2 stick ram set, don't use lose ram always buy a ram set or you will have more problem than it is worth

15. Littledragonlady

Littledragonlady The last member of Ancient Tomb Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Could be easily remedied by external hdd

16. Claire the Lunatic

Reading List:
    Link
    True that. But I gotta prioritize, and what I need right now is RAM. Thanks anyway.

17. Grenore

Grenore 《Member》

Reading List:
    Link
    dude, less files = less presure on RAM and the Hard.D.
    and its impossible to change a processor, if you actually don't know what a processor is, the set amount clock speed a processor have is unchangeable unless you actually buy a new PC.
    graphics for enhance, unless your RAM is on a lot pressure, you won't feel anything wrong with your graphics, of-course unless you're using something that requires a lot of enhancement from graphics card.
    just because you could stop it from running, doesn't mean that it's not bother some. Example: just because a trash in local>tmp (folder), doesn't mean it won't affect with with your PC.

why not just get a ROM???

18. jw287962

jw287962 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL, that was not wha ti meant at all. I was just saying that if we did what you sugested it probably would not do much because nothing changed besides the current usage of the ram is decreased. The total is still 4gb and how much will it actually decreaes the usage? I just didn't think it would be a very significant difference. I know what a processor and shyt is lmao. if u read the other posts. LOL. and even if it is less pressure on Ram and Hard Drive, how much is Less? I really don't think it is significant enough to have to do all of that. and I was just saying nothing changed (the processor, graphics, etc) to show that it probably won't change much