Novel Rekindle [Current Chapter: Chapter 15 - The Monster and the Ghost]

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by Osamaru, May 6, 2017.

?

How would you rate what you've read so Far? (don't forget to leave comments in the thread!)

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 12 : Inheritance (Part 2)

About an hour later, Caroline walked through the office doors, a pair of fresh but otherwise plain shirt and pants on, similar to what she’d worn before, though thinner. The group sat in a small sitting area at one end of the office, drinking the light tea that a secretary looking lady had delivered a while ago. Caroline walked over to them and sat down in one of the large leather chairs, not even bothering to greet them before pouring herself a cup of now cold tea and leaning back to relax.

Mark couldn’t help but feel that though they looked quite similar, Caroline and Grace had a completely different air about them; Grace had a gentle and flowing nature that made you want to simply nod your head at whatever she proposed, while the woman in front of him seemed rough and unstoppable as a glacier, compelling you to obey. Though despite these seemingly contradictory natures, one couldn’t deny that they were Mother and Daughter. She sipped on her tea for a moment in silence, before speaking, slightly annoyed,

“Well? Tell me the Story…”

Alex chuckled nervously as he launched into his tale for the fourth time. At this point, he had gotten it down so well, Mark laughed to himself as he thought that maybe Alex should take up a job as a Storyteller instead. Caroline’s face hadn’t change a bit as Alex spoke, and when he finished, she sighed and laid the cup down. As she did, Mark noticed that the thick glass cup had several spider-web fractures spreading out from five clear indents in its surface. Caroline looked over at Selah and spoke in a low voice,

“This is troubling. On more than a few levels. I assume that your Sister has already began preparations?”

“Yes, Mother.”

“Good. We can leave it in her hands for now. If worst comes to worst, I can contact Brother. Merry, come here.”

At the Woman’s call, Merry gave a jump and slid from her space between Alex and Mark, before walking over and standing in front of Caroline. Caroline simply looked at the girl with a blank look and grabbed her chin, turning it from side to side as she examined her. Letting go of her face, she grabbed Merry’s arm and placed her fingers on her wrist. Caroline frowned slightly, before turning the girl around and pulling up her shirt to reveal her back. Merry blushed slightly as Caroline pulled several thin pitch black needles an inch long, from somewhere Mark couldn’t see.

Caroline stared down at the needles and Mark was amazed to see them begin to give off a light white glow. They shook for a moment and then one by one began to float in the air. Before aligning themselves and then as fast as lightning, the thin black needles plunged into several places on the small girls back. Merry only gave a slight squeal as she felt something akin to an ice chunk touching her back and then a soothing warmth began to spread out through her body.

Mark could only stare out in amazement as he watched. The little girl’s body flushed red and some of the lighter bruises began to clear up at a visible rate. After a while, the needles were pushed out one by one and felt to the floor, before crumbling to dust. Caroline gave a sigh and said in a tired voice,

“I’m no healer, but I can at least get rid of some of the pain. Don’t try and push yourself Runt, you still need a few more days of rest.”

Merry gave a quick nod before turning around to head back to her spot. She stopped half way though, and turned to Caroline, looking as if she wanted to say something. Caroline looked at the struggling girl before raising an eye and giving her a look that said ‘just say it already’. Merry Looked down, and then reached into her carry bag, pulling out a small box and handing it to the woman. Caroline looked down with a frown for a moment, before slowly opening the box.

Her eyes went wide in shock at first, then a gentle light replaced the cold chill. Inside on a cushion sat a small shard of metal, as black as night but with tiny specks of green and blue mixed in. On the inside of the lid, sat a small folded note, the words ‘Happy Birthday’ scrawled in a messy handwriting on the front. Caroline gave a gentle smile completely unlike the ones before, causing Mark’s heart to flutter. She leaned over and softly kissed the little girl's forehead and petted her head, speaking in a soft voice,

“Thank you.”

Merry blushed and quickly retreated back to her spot on the couch between Mark and Alex. When Caroline raised her head back up, the same old cold icy look had returned. Selah watched over with soft eyes, though as she watched her mother read over the small note, a mischievous light flashed in them. She grinned slightly and spoke to her mother in a teasing manner,

“Hoho, isn’t this great Mother? It must be nice to still get presents even at your age.”

“Shut up Girly. I am still a young woman.”

“Young Woman? Is that really something a cradle robber like you should be calling yourself?”

“C-cradle robber? How dare you, you little..... Your father and I are only 15 years apart!”

“And Father will be 142 next May. Does’t that mean you just turn….”

“Don’t you dare!”

Mark gave a sigh as he watched the two go back and forth, Caroline’s normal cool and calm attitude crumbling as her face went red at her Daughters jabs. As they continued on, something clicked in Marks mind, as he realized something strange. Did he mishear? Tilting his head in confusion, he stealthily focused on the red faced woman sitting across from him and activated Examine.

┌~~~~~~~~~~<Status>~~~~~~~~~~~
    Name: Caroline Whitewood <Myth-Forger>
    Race: Dwarf
    Active Sigil: Earthsinger

Sigil Level: 78
    HP: 8,000/8,000
    MP: 17,120/17,250

STR: 375 (30 + 65 + 5 + 25 + 50 + 100 + 100)
    END: 165 (20 + 65 + 5 + 25 + 50)
    WILL: 485 (20 + 390 + 5 + 25 + 50)
    DEX: 415 (40 + 195 + 5 + 25 + 50 + 100)

ACTIVE SKILLS: Earth Pulse Needle, ???, ???, ???, ???, ???, ???, ???, ???, ???, ???........
    PASSIVE SKILLS: ???, ???, ???, ???, ???, ???, ???, ???, ???, ???........
    UNIQUE SKILLS: Deep Priestess, ???
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

[Spoilers]Author’s Notes: Remember, status numbers (HP, MP, STR, END, WILL and DEX) and are more like digitized Information, rather than some physical force like you might see in other novels. The number are a generalization so that overall ability can be understood at a glance. A quick tip for understanding the number. While numbers vary, the average adult male will have stats around 10, with each 10 after that representing roughly a 50% increase in ability (I.E. someone with 100 STR would be as strong as 4 “normal” men).

The First number is that person’s “Natural” state, before any modifications. The second bolded number is modifications done by the sigil as it increases in level. The italicized numbers after the second, are modifications by passive skills. Any number that is BOTH bolded and italicized at the end are Temporary effects from buffs or active skills. Again, take the numbers with a pinch of salt, there IS a pattern and method to the idea, but they are more here as a guide rather than an Absolute. [/Spoilers]

Looking at the screen Mark could feel his eyes bulge. He still didn’t know what the standard of this world was, but even he could tell that these number were not normal. Tsutsuji who was sitting on Mark’s shoulders, looked at the screen with a frown, being the only other one in the room that could see it. She leaned over and spoke in a low voice, unusually serious.

“As expected of Myth-Forger Caroline, abnormal is the simplest word to describe her. All of the Whitewoods are Insane. You’d best step your game up Mark, there are plenty of powerful people in this world. If you don’t want to be walked on, then you need the power to back up your words.”

Mark’s hand tightened into a fist at Tsutsuji’s words. It was kind of ironic; in his old world he was fairly confident he could protect himself, but ever since he arrived in this world, he started to become more and more aware at how weak he really was. Scanning the information once more, Mark confirmed what he had suspected before, but as he opened his mouth to ask, Tsutsuji beat him to it,

“It’s the Magi. In your world, your bodies were governed by the natural laws and aged accordingly. In this one, a person’s internal Magi are able to make repairs and sustain the body for much longer. The average Human lifespan for a healthy adult is close to 200 years. For Dwarves and Elves who are naturally born stronger, they live a little longer, 220-225 years. 230 if they are lucky. The Relickin are a bit different, they technically have no determinate lifespan, though without proper care they may only reach 400. Congratulations Mark! You’re a spring chicken again!

As for her looks. That’s because she’s a Dwarf. The Dwarves were engineered as manual laborers, and old workers are just a drain on your resources. Dwarves stop aging at their optimal state; for females their early to mid-twenties, for males their mid-thirties. There’s an old saying, ‘Elves may be eternally beautiful, but Dwarves are eternally young.’ ”

Human, Elves, Dwarves and Relickin, the four major races of this world. Mark remembered reading about them in Merry’s Book. Elves and Dwarves were said to be branches of the human race, mutations caused by the selective breeding of the Ancients. Collectively, they were “Mankind”. The Relickin on the other hand, were something different; semi-organic artificial life forms, said to be someone’s attempts at mimicking the Magi, though somewhere along the line they gained sentience and life of their own.

Mark found his thoughts wandering as the Mother-Daughter pair was still going at it, when his eyes landed on Selah, and he found himself wondering. Just as he was about to activate Examine again, Alex spoke up in a curious voice,

“I’ve actually been wondering this for a while, but from the stories I’ve heard Mrs. Caroline, You and Matthew only had one Child, Grace. So who…”

Caroline and Selah stopped their banter and stared at Alex with a strange look, causing him to sweat slightly, before Caroline gave a sigh and nodded,

“Correct. Officially, Grace is our only child. Selah, she’s…”

“I’m adopted.”

Selah spoke in a neutral voice, crossing her arms as she gave Alex a look that dared him to say something about it. Caroline gave a nod and spoke in a voice as if reminiscing about something,

“In fact, it’ll soon be 20 years since a dirty little rug-rat no older than Merry showed up on my forge floor.”

“I wasn’t that dirty!”

“Really? I distinctly remember having to cut clumps of mud and twigs from your Hair.”

Selah seemed unable to retaliate, and stomped her feet and she puffed her cheeks out and fumed at her Mother. Alex paled a little as he bowed and spoke out quickly,

“I-I’m Sorry. I didn’t mean to pry into private matters!”

“No, its fine boy. It’s more of an open secret really. Officially, Selah is my Elder Disciple, though it has been a long time since anyone in the city has thought of her as anything but a Whitewood. Mostly it is to keep those wolves in the Capital at bay; they’d just love to sink their teeth into a little princess. I am thankful that Grace is a little to ‘Hot’ for them to handle, so at least I don’t have to worry about her. THIS one, on the other hand…..”

“Mother!”

Selah’s face went another shade of red darker, almost blending in with her hair, as Alex nodded his head in understanding. Selah took in a deep breath and breathed out slowly, trying to calm herself. Slowly, her face cooled down and she looked up at a nearby clock,

“Mother, we have to move on to business. We don’t have much time before we have to leave.”

Caroline looked up at the clock after her Daughter and nodded her head,

“Yes, let’s head to the Vault. We can continue there.”

She gave a sigh and stood, motioning for them to follow her. Mark and Alex stood up confused as they followed after, Tsutsuji riding on Merry’s head as the little girl walked behind, hand gripping Mark’s coat.

------------------------------------------

After walking through a seeming maze of hallways and rooms, the group finally arrived at a large door at the back of a smaller room. The Door looked heavy and thick, the distinct grainy luster of whitewood peeking out from the peeling paint. Caroline reached out and touched a nearby brick, and as if the brick was made of clay, pulled out a small metal key from inside.

Instead of inserting the key into the keyhole on the door, she turned the key around and touched the butt-end to several places on the door in rapid succession. There was a series of clicks and the sound of metal grinding as the wall nearby slid to the side and revealed a long narrow staircase descending into the depths. Not only was there a Dummy Lock and hidden key, but it seemed even the Room on the other side was just a diversion. What could be down there that required such security?

The group entered in the hidden entrance and they descended down into the depths. They arrived at another door shortly after, and as Caroline opened it up and ushered the group in, she spoke in her normal cold voice,

“This is the Whitewood Vault; we store my best works and the more valuable Relics in the city here. Matthew asked me to open it up as part of your reward.”

“Mrs Caroline, like I told your Husband, there is no need for something like this. I didn’t do what I did to ask for a reward.”

Alex shook his head at her words, though his eyes lingered on the rows of glistening swords lining the Wall. Caroline gave him a cheeky grin and spoke like a salesmen,

“Now, don’t be like that. This isn’t just a matter of your pride. What would we say if it got out that the Whitewoods don’t repay their debts?”

“Right, Right, like Mother says. You’ll be doing us more harm than good by refusing this small token.”

Selah nodded her head in agreement with her Mother, a serious look crossing her face. Double teamed by the ladies, Alex could do nothing but sigh and begin to look around the room in earnest, though it wasn’t long before he become entranced by the various pieces of equipment stored in the room. Tsutsuji soon followed and the pair looked like a couple of children stuck in a candy shop.

Selah chuckled lightly as she watched, then noticing Mark had yet to move, she asked in a questioning tone,

“Not going to pick anything?”

“No need.”

“What, you think this old blade is better than something Mother can make?”

With a practiced hand, she drew the old rusted blade hanging on his hip, giving it an ugly look. Truth be told, it was the opposite. Mark was a soldier, yes, but he specialized in unarmed combat and survival. He’d never even picked up a real sword till about a week ago. Unless they had a rifle stashed somewhere in this room, there wasn’t anything in this room he could make good use of. The most he could say was that he was confident in his throwing skills he’d trained in the Army as a pastime and the Bo-Staff training he’d picked up while studying his Martial Arts.

As Selah held out the old blade, Caroline gave it a queer look, and plucked the blade from her Daughter’s hands, looking over it with strange but serious eyes, before asking Mark in a low voice, never looking awat from the blade,

“Where did you get this…?”

“Off one of the Forest Goblins that attacked the girl. Don’t know where it got it.”

“A Forest goblin, hu? Humm…”

She looked at the blade for a long moment, lost in thought, before sheathing it at Mark side and spoke out,

“Either way, you’d better chose something else. You’re not fit for a blade, judging by your hands. What do you prefer?”

Mark looked down at Caroline in silence, slightly impressed that she could tell with a casual glance. He finally gave a sigh and spoke out in a resigned voice,

“Staff.”

“Staff, is it. Humm.”

Caroline looked down to the floor, hand on her chin before seeming to come to a conclusion. She stood straight and immediately walked to the back of the room and moved some things around. After a while, she seemed to find what she was looking for and pulled out a large, long box, then walked back. She placed the box on a nearby table and opened it up, dust flying out as she did. Mark leaned over and looked inside to see.

A Stick. A long solid Whitewood branch, slightly gnarled and rough with age. It was roughly 8 foot long and as thick as a man’s calf. Mark looked down in confusion as the thing that could be called more a log than a staff. It was ugly as an old dried bone, but he found himself strangely attracted to it, like he was seeing a long lost friend.

Caroline looked down at the branch fondly and spoke in a sad voice,

“It used to belong to a dear friend. Long ago. But it’s never found anyone it’s taken a liking to after her. How about it, want to give it a Shot?”

Mark looked down at that gnarled branch for a moment, the strange feeling again overtaking him. He swallowed, then slowly he reached down and grabbed firmly onto the branch. As he made contact with it, Caroline’s eyes seemed to light up but quickly dulled as if not seeing what she was expecting. Mark was about to lift his hand when he felt a slight quiver run through the branch, then strangely it began to twist in on itself, like a towel being rung dry.

Caroline’s face lit up again as a small smile played over her icy face. Only a moment later, the large branch had shrunk down to 6 foot long and only 3-4 centimeters thick. The dense grain pattern on its surface was as smooth as glass and its length as straight as an arrow without a single flaw. Amazed, Mark reached down and lifted the strange staff out of the box, grunting slightly as it was far heavier than he thought it would be. As he held it in his hands, it felt comfortable, like it had always belong there. Gripping the staff in both hands, he quickly moved through several forms testing out the balance and feel.

Despite how heavy it was, Mark was surprised at how easy the staff moved, it almost seemed as if it was doing half the work itself. As he finished his forms, Caroline gave a light applause as he stood to the side, her eyes still icy and cold as ever, but a slight smirk crossing her lips as she spoke,

“Bravo. Good job. I’m assuming that it is up to your standards?”

“….Yes.”

Mark once again looked at the strange staff in his hands, before nodding and giving his answer. On a whim, Mark focused his mind on the staff and activated Examine,

--------------------------------------------------
    Penitence

Quality
    : Engraved
    Origin: Unknown
    Quarks:
    --- Dense: made of super compressed Whitewood, this staff is far harder (and heavier) than normal. It takes great skill and power to properly use such an unwieldy thing. [Requires Long-Weapon lvl 6]
    --- Will (lvl-1): Over the years, this weapon has taken on a slight will of its own, allowing it to predict its wielders intent and assist them as needed. Only useable by those that it has acknowledged.
    --- ???
    --- ???

Index Entry: A specially made Staff carved from an ancient Whitewood. The Staff’s original owner was said to have been a traveling Monk who would appear in times of need, but only the Staff itself knows the truth of the matter.
    ~ A vow fulfilled, a debt forgotten, a life changed. ~
    --------------------------------------------------

Mark stared at the Staff for a long while, deep in thought before he was roused by the sound of Selah’s voice,

“Well, now that we seem to be done here, how about we continue on with our tour of the city?”

Mark looked up to see that the others had gathered near the doorway. He quickly glanced over them, curious as to what they had chosen. Contrary to what Mark was expecting, Alex didn’t choose a new Sword. Instead, on his arm was strapped a medium sized shield. At first glance it appeared to be solid bronze, with a few specks of azure tarnish on it and engraved with a detailed image of a towering windswept mountain. However, there seemed to be more to it than just a pretty picture; Alex moved around with the large shield as if it weight nothing at all, easily swinging the arm through the air as he tested his movements.

Tsutsuji desperately clung to a large crystal, almost as big as herself, glancing into the nearby shadows suspiciously as if each one contained a thief. Mark didn’t know what it was, but if it was stored down here, then he doubted that it was something normal. Even Merry, it seemed, had been allowed to take something, though carefully guided by Saleh so as not to stumble on something dangerous. Unsurprisingly what the young girl carried in her arms was a small book the size of a note pad. It was a strange, crude thing, its cover made of hard whitewood and its binding seeming to have be raw fiber. Even the paper look crude and low quality, but strangely the whole thing gave off an air of freshness, like it had just been made the other day.

The group gathered together and headed up the stairs, Caroline closing the doors behind them.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  2. Osamaru

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 13: Memories

The group parted ways with Caroline near the forge area, the woman wrapping Merry in a long hug before finally letting her go. The ever present icy look in her eyes thawed slightly as she watched the little girl walked down the hall towards the exit. As the others walked away, Selah turned to Caroline and asked,

“Are you coming to dinner tonight?”

Her Mother had a bad habit of locking herself in the forge for extended periods of time, sometimes for days. Caroline thought for a moment, and nodded her head in silence, then reached up and patted her Daughter on the shoulder, before she entered the forge and closed the door. Selah sagged her shoulders and gave a deep sigh, then quickly followed after the others. A short while later, they were piling back into the passenger carriage at the carriage station and moving on their way.

The next destination was the residential district to the east. They headed south first, then arrived at the main trade street that ran through the middle of the city, before turning north east as it branched off from the main road. As they did, they passed a convoy of half a dozen wagons coming from the east. The Wagons were covered, but as they passed, Mark could see through the slit, large iron cages and dozens of people stuffed inside.

Mark furrowed his brow as he watched the wagons pass by, a scowl forming on his face. Selah looked out the window, curious as to what had caught Mark’s eye. As she saw the wagons driving off into the distance, frowned and spoke in a low voice, half to herself,

“…the Prisoner transports are becoming more frequent now these days. I’ve heard that a large bandit group has set up shop in the Relic Pass to the northeast.”

From the information Mark had gathered, it seemed that several countries of the Southern Continent practiced a form of debt bondage; instead of locking their criminals away in a jail cell, anything greater than some minor offences such as drunkenness or petty theft, could have you branded as a criminal and sold into servitude. The criminal would then be sold at a set price according to their crime and ability, once they’ve paid off their “debt”, the brand would disappear and they would be freed.

Of course, having Criminals act as servants carried a certain risk, so the vast majority were either sold off to large companies to work in the Mines or in Logging and Farm work. None the less, Mark couldn’t help but feel uneasy about the concept. He understood the reasoning behind it, but as a man with modern sensibilities, he felt that the cons outweighed the pros of the system.

The convoy soon passed them by and the carriage was once again quiet. Tsutsuji and Merry sat to one side reading the strange book Merry had picked up in the Vault, Tsutsuji pointing one thing or another out every so often, while Alex hummed to himself softly, wiping a small wax block and clean cloth on the bronze shield. Selah and Mark sat across from each other in awkward silence, not bothering to look at each other. Mark folded his arms and leaned back into his seat, again closing his eyes, attempting to make up for lost sleep. After a short while, Mark could feel his consciousness fade, and he dreamed.

-------------------------------------

Mark ran through the dark alleyway, panting heavy as he stripped the large pack off his back and leaned against the wall. He slid down slowly as he tried to catch his breath, a bloody trail following him down. The sound of gunfire still sounded in the far distance. A moment later, two others entered the alleyway from the same direction he’d came, one was a short but densely build black man in his mid-30s, the other was a younger white man in his early-20s. Mark quickly raised his side arm, but let out a breath of relief as he caught sight of their uniforms. The two men seemed startled to see Mark, but quickly approached.

The young man, seeing that Mark was injured, knelt down and opened the kit he carried at his side, moving to treat Mark’s bloody shoulder. The older man stood near the entranceway, eyes sharp as he watched the surroundings. He called out in a low voice,

“Good to see you made it out Mark.”

“Any idea what the hell is going on? This isn’t what we were told.”

Mark grunted a bit as the young man tied the bandages tight around his shoulder, as he spoke. The mission was suppose to be a simple one. A quick trek through the forest, secure the chemical factory, and get out. Two full platoons had been dispatched to clear the area out, and Mark’s squad was one of the first to arrive. But almost as soon as they’d neared the compound, they were ambushed. The “small” factory they had been told about turned out to be the size of a small village with nearly 200 combatants in the area. Outnumbered 3 to 1, the squad scattered instantly.

The black man shook his head, a dark look crossing his eyes,

“No, not a clue. When they split us up, they did something to jam communications as well, I’ve not been able to get ahold of anyone else. Other than you and Jacob, Ron and two of his are the only ones I’ve seen. We agreed to head towards the rendezvous point and request reinforcements.”

Mark nodded in agreement. They were far to outnumbered and had too little information to continue the operation. The combatant’s equipment wasn’t great, but they had somehow managed to jam their radio and other communication devices, preventing them from contacting the others or requesting assistance. The only thing they could do at this point was to head to the rendezvous point to the south and grab as many people as they could on the way.

After the young man finished his work, he helped Mark stand and the three nodded to each other, taking up their positions, the older black man leading the way, Mark in the middle and the younger white man in the back, before heading out of the alleyway and down the abandoned street.

They ran for a short while and neared a large concrete storage building, hugging its wall as they moved around the corner. As the older man passed one of the doorways, the door suddenly opened and two men with older style rifles rushed out, one aiming at the man’s back and the other at Mark. The combatant aiming at him moved to fire, but Mark was a second faster, and with consecutive bangs, put two rounds into his chest.

The older man in front, hearing Mark’s gunfire, dropped to one knee on instinct as a bullet flew just over his head. He quickly drew his side arm and turned, firing at the second combatant, who then crumbled on the spot. The older man breathed heavily for a moment, sweat on his forehead, then gave Mark a wide grin and held his thumb up. After searching the bodies, then moving them into the shadow of the doorway, a faint sound caught Mark’s ear. He looked over to the two, and seeing that they had heard it was well, they readied themselves and quietly entered the dark building.

As they walked further in, the sound became clearer, and Mark recognized it as the sound of several voices weeping. The voices were coming from a nearby room, locked on the outside with a heavy slide lock. The three approached and Mark gave them a look, before quickly sliding the bolt out and opening the door. The two other men rushed in, rifles at the ready, Mark following right behind. The room was dark as night, with no visible furniture or fixtures in place; the sound of weeping came from the shadows in the far back.

As they approached carefully, Mark raised his flashlight. A small group of huddled figures entered his sight, giving out shrieks of fright as the light landed on them. He could tell after looking closer than it was a small group of children, the youngest just a few years old with the oldest being roughly 10. As he watched the young group cower in the corner, Mark could feel his blood run cold. Every one of the children was pale as death, as if they’d never seen daylight in their life. The pale grey clothes they wore were worn and stained with dried blood.

But what stood out most to the three, was the black ugly veins that ran under the children’s skin, seeming to crawl out along their limbs. Some of the children seemed almost normal, the dark veins barely visible under the pale skin, while others were as black as night, covering a large portion of their body. One child even had the darkness reaching up and covering one of her eyes, the white no longer visible as she stared lifelessly at the three.

Mark could feel his heart beating faster and he reached out instinctively, a mixture of confusion, fear and anger raging in his mind,

“What the hell is this?”

-------------------------------------------------------

Mark awoke with a jump as the carriage hit a bump in the road. He yawned and stretched out as much as he could in the small space. He rubbed his temples trying to ease the slight pounding in his head, as he pushed away the remnants of a memory he thought long buried, lingering in his head. He looked out the window to see that they had just begun crossing over a large bridge. While the bridge wasn’t as ornate as the one connecting the central island, it was still a sight to behold, made of a combination of Whitewood timber and cold steel.

Selah began to chat away about the history and construction of the City’s bridges. They entered into the residential district shortly after crossing the bridge. The Residential district was surprisingly neat and clean, the streets were relatively free from the normal filth and grime that one would expect to see in another town. Selah explained that one of the first things her Sister had done after their Father’s retirement was to improve the city’s overall living conditions. Not that her Father had ignored it mind you, but he was much more carefree than his overly strict and orderly Daughter.

Mark could see a distinct pattern as they made their way through the district; those homes closer to the manufacturing district and farther away from the central island tended to look more run down and poor, while those closer to the entertainment district and Central Island were obviously built with richer occupants in mind, and small parks and greenery were more common. It seemed that even in a different world, Money talked.

The trip through the residential district took about two hours, including a short stop at a small Park that was apparently a favorite of Merry’s while in town. The group moved on to the entertainment district shortly before noon and stopped at another carriage station near the middle of the district. From here, Selah switched to her tour guide mode and led the group through the streets, pointing out to the various theaters or music halls. Mark smirked a little as he watched the young woman chatter on; for someone who was so against it at first, she seemed to be rather enjoying herself now.

After walking for a short while, they turned onto a busy street filled with various food stalls and displays. It reminded Mark of those street fairs you see every so often in smaller towns. The atmosphere was light as cheerful, more so now that the Western trade route had reopened. The People walking around were a mix of residents and travelers, with the odd Adventurer type mixed in every so often.

Merry’s eyes lit up at the sight; she swiftly grabbed onto Mark’s hand and dragged him into the crowd, Tsutsuji following quickly behind. Selah frowned slightly, then ran after then, leaving Alex behind on the side of the road. The young man simply dropped his shoulders and sighed, then followed them before he lost sight. He didn’t like crowds.

The group spent the next hour moving between stalls, Mark pulling out a few bronze weights every now and again, and handing them to Merry as the girl enjoyed the few game stalls scattered around. After a while, Merry caught a scent in the air and she looked over to see a food stall selling what appeared to be some kind of fried dough on a stick. The little girl looked up at Mark with pleading eyes, but he shook his head,

“No. We’ll be eating soon. You’ll just make yourself full.”

Merry turned her eyes down, a sad look on her face. A small silver weight was suddenly placed in her hand as she pouted. She looked up to see Selah kneeling down, a bright smile on her face. Merry gripped the coin and smiled, before running off to the stall. Mark watched her back with a frown. Selah stood up and gave Mark an angry look, then spoke in a low voice

“What the hell is your problem? If you’ve got to walk around with a Rain cloud over your head all the time, then don’t let it rain on Merry as well.”

Mark looked at the angry woman and furrowed his brow, speaking in a calm voice,

“That girl’s smarter than you give her credit for. If you keep treating her like a child…”

“She IS a child! With what she’s been through, why can’t you just let her be one for a while?”

“She needs support, but you can’t just hold her up and never let her learn to walk on her own.”

“You don’t think I already know that?”

Selah clinched her shaking hands as she spoke the last line, her eyes wandering off with a sad look. When she looked back at Mark, they were cold, her voice calm and distant,

“Besides. She’s not your Kid. You’re just a passerby, the matter doesn’t involve you.”

She then turned around and walked toward the returning Merry, the small girl holding several sticks of fried dough in her hands. Merry smiled up at the woman before passing her one of the sticks. Selah smiled and gently petted the little girl as she took it. Merry saw Mark standing by the side and quickly walked over, though her bright smile dimmed slightly as she noticed the strange atmosphere. Mark looked down at the girl as she shyly held out one of the sticks; Selah was right if truth be told, he was just a passerby, a stranger who happened along at the right time. He didn’t have a real relation with the little girl in the end, and soon they would part ways and go about their lives.

Mark gave a deep sigh, before grabbing the stick and turning around, walking back towards the street exit. The little girl simply smiled and followed in his shadow. A little while later they decided to stop at one of the many restaurants lining the main road for lunch.

The one they had decided on was an open air Café style restaurant near the district center. It wasn’t top quality, but it was decent and there was no need to wait for a table. As the group ordered, they chatted lightly about the day. When the food came, the group quickly ate. Mark looked at Merry sitting across from him with a frown. The girl had barely touched the food on her plate and feeling Mark’s glare, her face went red in embarrassment. Selah glared back at Mark as though it were his fault.

--------------------------------------

After lunch, the group moved on, visiting several famous shops and venues in the district. By the time they decided to head back to the carriage station, the sun was close to setting. The group walked through the thinning streets at a leisurely pace, Merry skipped cheerfully along as she held Selah’s hand, humming one of the songs they’d heard during an outdoor performance earlier. Mark and Alex walked towards the back, carrying several large packages while Tsutsuji napped on Mark’s shoulder.

They arrived at the carriage station and packed everything away, before heading back towards the Fortress. As they rode back, Mark’s thoughts returned to Selah’s words from earlier. He didn’t really know what had been wrong with him the past few days; He’d been unable to sleep and felt irritated at the slightest thing, his body felt weight down and sluggish. Maybe…Maybe it was time he thought about moving on. The girl was safe, he had no connection to Alex, and no real goal or responsibilities in this new world. He could travel around, see what was out there.

As he thought about his future, the carriage rolled to a stop in the Fortress courtyard. Matthew was once again there to meet them, though he’d changed out of his plain clothes and now wore a more elegant suit. Barring the extra fat around the waist, Mark had to admit that the Man gave off a certain noble air went he wanted to. Matthew approached the group and lifted up the small Merry into a hug, meeting her bright smile with his own wide grin,

“It looks like you had fun today Little One, I’m glad. Now come, come, we’ve prepared a meal to welcome you and thank our new friends.”

Matthew ushered the group into the Fortress, beaming the whole way as he carried the little girl in. Selah stayed behind for a moment and ordered the servants to unload the packages. As they walked through the hallway, Matthew turned to Mark and asked in a cheerful voice,

“So, how did you like the city? Whitewood has always been a place where the West and East meet. Grace especially has worked tirelessly to make the city a beacon of not only Trade but culture; I dare to say we’d not lose out to any capital on the southern continent!”

“Its impressive, I’ll give you that. Even some of the larger cities of my old world can’t compare.”

“Hoho! Thank you for the honor; to say that our city is even as great as those of another world, I can rub it in the noses of some of those old foxes at court.”

Matthew stroked the head of the small girl in his arms, then asked in a serious tone after a short pause.

“So Mark. What now? Have you decided what you are going to do in this new world of yours?”

“... No. Not really. I don’t have any end goals in mind, so I’ve thought about doing some traveling.”

“Have you thought about settling in town for a little while? It will take some time to prepare for a long journey and Whitewood would welcome you with open arms. It’s the least we can do.”

Mark thought for a bit, and Merry stared at him, her eyes sparkling. He finally shook his head with a sigh, before answering,

“No, I think its best if I move on as soon as I can. I’ve never been comfortable in one place. I’m use to traveling quickly, so I don’t need to prepare much.”

“… I see. When do you plan on leaving?”

“Tomorrow, if possible. The day after at the latest.”

“…....”

As he gave his answer, Merry’s eyes seemed to dull, and she turned her face away, leading her small head up against Matthew’s chest. The large man gave the girl a sad smile and gently petted her head, then spoke out once more in a cheerful voice,

“Well then, we need to make tonight one to remember, don’t we?! Dinner will begin shortly, take this time to clean up.”

Matthew parted with the men near their rooms and walked away with the small girl still clinging to him. He watched from his doorway for a moment till they were out of sight, before sighing and turning around. Mark’s heart gave a jump as he did, almost bumping into Tsutsuji as she flew at eye level only a few inches from his face. The little Guide just stared at Mark, not saying a word; though her face was blank, Mark could feel a mixture of disappointment, frustration and a little sadness flow through their link. After a long moment of silence, Tsutsuji flew away down the hall, following after Matthew. Mark just gave a sigh and walked into his room, closing the door softly.

-----------------------------------------

Mark walked out about two hours later, hair still slightly wet, though combed back neatly, his beard trimmed short and the clothes he first wore clean and fresh for the first time in a long time. He met Alex in the Hallway, the young man wearing some form of ceremonial military uniform. It was not as gaudy as some he’d seen, but it was obviously designed to impress. If he’d not known better, he'd never suspected that the nervous, green young man he’d spent the last week and a half with, to be this sharply dress and confident officer type in front of him. The two gave a quick nod to each other and followed after the nearby servant.

After a short walk, they entered to a dining hall. Though it was more of a private venue than a large hall designed to entertain a large number of people, the room was elegantly arranged and the gentle light from the candles and strange lighting devices gave it a refined and welcoming atmosphere. Matthew sat at one side of a large round table, speaking to a beautiful young lady in a sky blue one piece dress sitting by his side. Mark questioned who it was as first, but when she turned to look at him, he realized that it was Caroline; even though the feeling she gave off was completely different, there was no mistaking that icy glare.

Mark and Alex swiftly took their seats and gave a greeting to the pair, lightly chatting as they waited on the others to arrive. Some time passed, and the large double doors to one side of the room opened and a group walked in. Grace walked in the front, caring a refined air as she glided long the ground in a pure white party gown. Her gentle smile and the golden light that bounced off her hair as she move to set next to her Mother gave the illusion of a holy aura surrounding her.

Selah followed in behind her wearing a dark green high-low dress, her blood red hair pulled up into a short bun, giving her the appearance of a budding rose. Mark found his eyes glue to the sight as she gracefully approached, not losing out to her sister at all. Though as if she felt his eyes on her, the wild rose showed her thorns, giving Mark a scowl before sitting down next to the Duchess. From her shadow, a small girl stepped out and quickly sat down beside her.

Merry’s hair had been trimmed and combed straight, the chestnut brown hair hanging slightly past her shoulders, several fresh red Whitewood flowers woven in. Mark found the dark blue one piece the girl wore a little to mature for her age, but he shoved the thought to the back of his mind; it was a different world after all, he didn’t know the customs for such things. In place of the bandages, the left side of her head was covered by a neat dark leather eyepatch, embroidered with gold leaf and the image of sprawling vines and blooming flowers like the ones in her hair. As Merry caught sight of Mark’s gaze, she quickly lowered her eyes, blushing slightly.

Feeling like he was forgetting something, a black shadow suddenly shot through the doorway. Tsutsuji swiftly flew through the air, gasping for breath as she stood on the edge of the table, her hair slightly messy from the wind. After a moment to catch her breath, she coughed and straightened up, attempting to give off an air of refinement as she walked across the table towards her prepared space near Merry. As she passed Mark, she gave a haughty laugh and asked,

“Well now, are you surprised at This Lady’s elegance yet? Have you finally understood?”

“I understand that ‘This Lady’ may wish to re-pin her dress…”

Mark didn’t know where she’d gotten the small black slit dress, but somewhere along the line, the front had become tangled in a very unlady like manner. Tsutsuji looked down and went beet red, before quickly fixing her dress. Mark simply smirked in amusement, causing the little Guide to reach down and throw one of her small stilettos at him, then walked off towards her seat. Matthew gave a nervous laugh before standing and speaking in a loud voice,

“Now that we are all here, I think it is time we get started! Please enjoy, and let’s make this a night we all remember.”

The surrounding people gave a light cheer and the servants began to move, placing food and drink in front of each person around the table. As the night went on, the group made light talk. Alex spoke of his travels so far, though he’d begun not too long ago. Matthew talked loudly about various trade deals and gossip from around the west and south continents. Caroline amused herself by telling Mark and Alex embarrassing stories about her Daughters, sparking a small war of words with the youngest. Grace never lost her refined air as she quietly listened to the banter around her, giving a short reply every so often.

Tsutsuji sat next to Merry, chatting her ear off about something or another, though the small girl kept her eyes down most of the time, only ever nodding or shaking her head when someone addressed her. The Dinner went on like this for a while, and Mark was surprised at how warm and welcoming the atmosphere was, a lot different than how many ‘noble’ gatherings were portrayed in the stories of his world. Instead, it was nothing more than a small family gathered around the dinner table with a few friends, happily chatting about their day.

Matthew’s eye caught something in the middle of one of his stories and he grinned, waving someone forward from the doorway. Mark turned to see a group of servants carrying in several earthen jugs. They placed one and a small shot glass like cup down in front of each of the Adults, minus Selah, and walked away.

3. Osamaru

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 14: Scars and Shadows

Matthew stood and spoke in a cheerful tone,

“I hope you don’t mind, but I decided to splurge a little tonight. With the Western Trade route open once more, I’ve pulled a little something special out of my collection. I hope that you enjoy!”

Mark raised an eyebrow as he looked at the small earthen jug in front of him. Watching the others gently pull off the wax seal on top, he followed after them. The room quickly filled with a cool refreshing aroma, like stepping into an old pine forest, mixed with the distinct smell of strong alcohol. Mark’s heart began to beat rapidly in his chest as his throat dried instantly, like he’d swallowed a cotton-ball. He tried to swallow, but couldn’t seem to produce any saliva, as the sound of a roaring beast awoke in his mind.

Mark could feel cold sweat crawling down his back as he reached out with shaking hands and grabbed onto the jugs handle, pouring a small amount of the dark amber liquid into his cup. He raised it slowly, inhaling the strong woody aroma before tossing the contents into his mouth. Mark let out a low moan of pleasure as its icy chill and fiery intensity hit the back of his throat. He sat there for a moment, eyes closed as he enjoyed the complex flavor, before quickly filling his cup up again and downing it in one motion.

By the third however, Mark felt a little strange. Or rather, it was what he wasn’t feeling. With a frown, he looked down at the small jug and moved to poor another cup, when a light small voice called out in warning,

“Mark…”

Mark moved as if he didn’t hear the voice of the small Guide across from him. He poured the forth glass and threw it into his mouth, quickly followed by a fifth.

“Mark!”

Tsutsuji yelled out in a loud voice. By the sixth glass, Mark’s hand was visibly trembling; he slammed the glass on the table, his breathing heavy, heart still racing, sweat dripping from his forehead. He looked up to see Tsutsuji looking at him, a look of deep concern on her face. Looking around, he saw that the table had gone silent, the people around him giving him looks of pity or disgust. He looked over to the side to see Merry staring wide eyed at him, fear shining in her eyes. As Mark looked into those eyes, he felt something snap in his mind, and he swiftly stood, speaking in a low flat voice,

“Excuse Me…”

“Mark! Wait!”

Mark turned and quickly made his way out of the dining Hall, Tsutsuji rising and following behind. The remaining people at the table sat in silence for a moment, before Selah’s face went red in anger. She slammed her hands on the table and rose, as if to follow,

“That Bastard, What is his deal!”

“Selah! Sit down.”

“But Father!”

“Sit!”

Selah gave a grumble, but obeyed her Father. Matthew looked out the way Mark had left, a small light of understanding flashing in his eyes, as he spoke in a low, sad voice,

“It’s not something that you’re capable of helping with. Leave it to Lady Tsutsuji….”

---------------------

Mark rushed through the fort Hallway, the sound of a roaring beast chasing him as he tried to escape. His heart wouldn’t stop racing nor his body shaking. The Servants he past gave him a strange look as he made his way towards the Fort entrance, passing through and entering into the cold, dark night. He didn’t know where he was going, but he felt like he needed to run, to get away as quickly as possible. And so he ran. He ran and he ran through the cold night, the roaring of the beast chasing him always just a few steps behind.

An unknown time later he collapsed on the side of a road, gasping for breath. He didn’t know where he was anymore, but by the sounds coming from the few nearby buildings, he assumed he was in the entertainment district. Mark struggled to stand, his legs weak with fatigue as he looked towards the sorce of the sounds. In the distance, a large building was lit up bright, the sounds of laughter and rough singing pouring out. Every so often, one or two people would come stumbling out of the establishment. Mark looked on for a long while, the familiar thurst screaming at him. His throat felt dry as a desert as he watched the people move around in the light.

As he stepped forward, he felt the shifting of a weight at his side. He reached down to pull out a small pouch, its contents clanking loudly in the silent night. He stared at the pouch in a daze, eyes drawn back and forth between it and the tavern. Mark pushed the annoying voice screaming at him, to the back of his mind, then with stiff footsteps, slowly walked towards the light.

---------------------------------

Tsutsuji flew through the dark night, high above the city, scanning for any sign of Mark. After some time, a response came through their Link. She followed the link for a while and entered a dark alleyway in the entertainment district. Though the nearby building was bustling with the late night city life, the alley was quiet and gloomy. Tsutsuji finally stopped in front of the figure of a sitting man. His head hung down against his chest, back up against the wall. Several bottles lay around him and a small leather pouch lay empty to one side. The man simply sat there unmoving, quiet as the dead.

Tsutsuji hovered in front of him for a long time, before speaking in a low, soft voice,

“Mark…”

The little guide had to swiftly dodge as a bottle was thrown in her direction, shattering up against the opposite wall. Mark spoke in a flat, emotionless voice,

“Go away.”

“Mark. It wasn’t your fault.”

“What do you know?!”

Mark screamed out in a fury, his teeth bared as he looked at the little Guide, his voice cracking and raw.

“I know everything Mark, that’s my Job”

“Shut up.”

“I know about what you did.”

“Shut up!”

“What you tried to do.”

“SHUT UP!”

“About the labs, and the…”

“SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP!”

Mark reached out and grabbed the little Guide before she could move, squeezing her tight between his hands. He looked at her with crazed eyes,

“You know nothing! You have no idea what it’s like, every day, every waking moment, seeing those eyes, hearing those voices. Who do you think you are?”

Tsutsuji grimaced in pain as Mark’s grip tightened, His hands shaking and eyes glazing over. She spoke in a choked voice, struggling to breathe,

“You can’t go on like this Mark. You can’t just keep running away.”

Mark froze at her words. His hands slowly loosened and Tsutsuji fell to the ground, gasping for breath. He leaned up against the wall, his eyes dead and lightless as he gave a light chuckle and spoke in the same flat voice,

“No, I suppose I can’t, can I? You and your ‘master’ took that option away from me. Not like I have any other choice though.”

“You can fight it Mark! You can face it head on.”

“And how am I supposed to do that!”

Mark’s voice flared once more, before dulling,

“I tried fighting back, I tried pushing on alone after everything else failed and everyone else gave up. And look where that got me.”

“You’re not alone, Mark…”

Tsutsuji stood after catching her breath, and slowly floated up to Mark’s eye level, speaking in a low, soft voice,

“… Not anymore. That’s what I’m here for. We’re Partners. We’re supposed to support each other, bare one another’s burdens. So let me support you Mark. When you can’t go any farther, when you’ve lost your way, I’ll be there right by your side. So just lean on me and keep walking.”

Tsutsuji drew closer as she spoke, and gently lay her forehead against his. Slowly, she opened their Link as far as it would go, and a wave of intense emotions flooded into her soul. Sadness, grief, guilt, desperation, anger, hatred; as the raging storm of Darkness pounded against her mind, tears began to well up in her eyes. Through the darkness, she slowly pushed forward a thin thread of light and wrapped it around Mark’s heart. Through the thread, she sent her own heart; she sent the memories of the short time they’d spent, both good and bad, of the faces of the people they’d met along the way, and bright smile of a little girl.

A single spark may not be able to light the entire night, but when it is the only light left, even an ember is as bright as the sun. That night, in the dark Alleyway, not a sound could be heard as two figures sat silently clinging to each other, to a thin thread of light, tears staining their face.

-----------------------------------

The first Skyshard was already starting to dip beneath the horizon when Mark finally made his way to the Fortress gates, the tiny figure of Tsutsuji sleeping soundly in his arms. The night Guards seemed to have been expecting him, as he was swiftly let through. His body ached slightly, but Mark felt lighter than he had in a while, as he made his way through the Fortress and to his room.

As he turned into the hallway, a thin figure was lit by the dim moonlight filtering in through the window at the end. The figure leaned up against the wall opposite his room, arms crossed as they stared at the open door. The figure turned to look at Mark and said in a familiar voice,

“Didn’t expect you to actually show your face again…”

Mark stopped for a moment, allowing his eyes to adjust to the low light, as Selah pushed herself away from the wall and gave him a dark glare. Marked walked forward, Selah stopped in front of him, looking into his eyes for a moment before swiftly raising her hand and slapping Mark hard. His head jerked to the side and small stars popped in his vision. When his sight cleared, Mark’s gaze landed past the open door of his room. On his bed, slept a small figure in a light dress, her short chestnut hair sticking to her tear streaked face as she clung to a large book. Every so often, she would shake slightly in her sleep and another tear would fall from the corner of her eye.

“She’s been there all night. Waiting for you...”

Selah spoke in a soft, sad voice, her eyes following Mark’s line of sight. Mark walked in and slowly approached the sleeping girl. As he reached down and gently wiped the fresh tear from her eye, the girl stirred, gripping the large book in her arms tighter. Mark smiled and, careful not to wake her, lifted the small girl from the bed, before walking out the room, and began to head towards the girl's, Selah following closely behind.

Along the way, Tsutsuji awoke, and seeing the little girl sleeping soundly beside her, she gave a soft smile, then flew out of Marks arm, landing on his opposite shoulder. She reached down and began to slowly pet the girl as they walked. Shortly after, they arrived in front of the girl’s bedroom. They pushed open the Door and walked in. Mark then lay the small girl down on the bed before turning around and walking out. Selah watched Merry for a moment from the doorway, noticing a small smile had formed on the girl’s sleeping face. She gave a light sigh and pulled the door closed.

Selah quickened her pace and caught up to Mark, pulling on his shoulder to stop him. Mark turned around and looked at the young woman with a questioning glance. Selah simply stared at Mark for a long moment, as if not sure what she wanted to say. Her eyes fell on the large hand print on the side of his face, still slightly swollen and red. Tsutsuji seemed to see it as well, as she gave a cheeky grin and chuckled lightly. Mark glared at the small Guide before flicking her in the forehead, sending her tumbling off his shoulder with a squeal.

Watching the two, Selah sunk her shoulders, in resignation, then turned her eyes to Mark, a fire burning in them as she spoke in a serious voice,

“I’ll be honest. I don’t like you. You’re rude, gloomy and uncivilized.”

“…..”

“But for whatever reason, that girl has attached herself to you.”

“……..”

Selah took a step forward, grabbing onto his shirt and balling it as she pulled him in close. Mark’s eyes were drawn to her soft ruby lips, though he jumped slightly when ‘someone’ pinched the back of his neck, managing to meet her eyes,

“So I’ll give you this warning, only once. If you hurt her again, I’ll…”

“AHhAHHAHHhhAhAHAH!”

Selah’s cold, serious voice was suddenly interrupted by the sound of a loud scream from behind. The two turn around to see a young maid sitting on the floor, swiftly backing away from an open door. Merry’s Door. Selah and Mark’s eyes met for a split second before they rushed over as fast as they could. Mark’s heart stopped as he looked in the doorway.

Standing on the open windowsill, was a short figure, their face cloaked in the darkness of the night and a large hood. Under the figures arm, a young girl wiggled and struggled against the tight rope that bound her. Around the figure's neck, the girl's travel bag hung. The clouds rolled away suddenly, and a dim moonlight flooded the room. Mark could only stare in shock as he looked at an ugly, malformed face; large black eyes and long pointed ears, dark molted green skin appearing blue in the moonlight.

The wind blew the cloak open gently to reveal the figures other arm, just a stub about the elbow. As its eyes met Mark, they lit up in delight, a wide, vile grin splitting it face from side to side. Mark’s eyes went wide, and he rushed into the room, but the instant before he grabbed the forest goblin, it took a step back and fell out of the window, giving a light mocking chuckle as it did.

Mark watched in horror as the thing fell over 6 stories and landed with a light thud, as though it had jump only a few feet. After landing, the Forest goblin looked up at Mark and gave another full faced grin, before rushing off at high speeds, Merry still held tightly under his arm. Selah stood beside Mark in shock, unable to process what just happened. When she came too, she found Mark attempting to climb out of the window himself. In a Panic, she grabbed onto His jacket; what was he trying to do? Forest Goblins were designed for the tree tops, they could fall from massive heights, but a Human would break every bone in their body at even half this.

She struggled with him for a moment, but he finally managed to slip out of the jacket and leapt from the window. Selah screamed as she watched the man plummet to the ground, but was unable to pull her eyes away.

Mark didn’t know why he leapt himself, but his instincts were screaming at him that if he didn’t, it would be far too late. As the ground neared, Mark felt something click in his head, and a burning warmth began to spread out from his chest. As if it was something he’d done all his life, Mark activated Survivor’s Will; in an instant, he could feel his body change. His legs grew 4 inches, the muscles becoming thicker and more elastic, the bones of his body took on a flexible, rubbery nature as his internal organs shifted in a certain pattern.

In the next moment, Mark touched down. He could feel the immense force of his impact surge through his body, and his legs compressed like a spring. Time seemed to stand still, as the force then rebounded, Mark angling himself forward as he sped away at an unimaginable speed, using each new step like a springboard to propel himself forward.

Selah could only stare from the far window in shock, mouth agape as she watched him race in the direction the Goblin had went. She stood there motionless, till a hand on her shoulder roused her. She turned around to see her Father staring at her with serious eyes. Nearby, Alex was issuing orders to the guards while her Mother and Sister comforted the weeping maid who lay on the ground. Tsutsuji lay on the table, panting heavily as sweat ran down her face; the little Guide had apparently informed the others as soon as she realized what was happening. With one more look out the Window, Selah turned around and spoke to her Father.

----------------------------------------

Mark ran through the dark streets for the second time that night, though his heart was racing for a different reason. He was currently running faster than he’d ever had in his life, though he could feel the immense drain on his energy as he struggled to maintain Survivor’s Will. Still, he pressed on, every so often catching glimpse of a fleeing shadow as it ran along the rooftops.

After close to a 10 minute chase, the Goblin finally stopped atop a high wall surrounding a large estate. It looked back the way it came, a slight surprise crossing its eyes as it saw Mark not too far behind it. The surprise quickly turned to humor however, as the Goblin grinned again and leapt beyond the wall.

Mark stopped at the side of the Wall, finding it far too high for him to jump over or climb by hand. His eyes landed on the area that the Goblin had stopped on. The goblin had leapt from a nearby building that protruded out slightly; while it was far too far for a normal person to make the jump, Mark figured with his sigil modified body, he might be able to just make it.

Mark made his way over to the building and swiftly began to scale it. However, before he could get very far, someone grabbed onto his leg and pulled him down. Mark twisted violently, striking out to land a vicious blow to his target’s face with his elbow. The blow was stopped midway however, as a familiar voice called out,

“Easy there Mark. Take a deep breath.”

Mark calmed down slightly, turning around to see an unexpected face. Jonathan. The old Captain who they’d met the other day was now dressed in dark clothing, several other similarly dress people standing behind him. Mark looked at the man and spoke in a flutter,

“We have to hurry and get over there, there are Forest Goblins in the city! They took…”

“I know, we saw. We’ve been watching this location for a while now, but we didn’t think they’d make a move so soon.”

“Then what are we doing standing here? He have to hurry and…”

“I’m afraid that it’s not that simple, Mark.”

“What are you talking about?”

Jonathan didn’t answer, he simply pointed towards a large sign that hung over a gate connected to the Estate wall. Mark’s heart sunk to the bottom of his chest; as the moonlight lit the sign, two words were visible, “Darksand Embassy”.

4. Osamaru

Reading List:
    Link
    SYSTEM INDEX (PART 1)
    The following is list of terms and explanations for certain aspects of the story that may not be explained well in the context of the story up to this point. Its not perfect, but then again, its a WiP. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them.
    These Indexes will be made every so often (at least once a volume), to update information and clarify on things that may not have been clear at first.

Item Ranking

Low-Tier
    -- Common
    : Everyday, Mass produced items, nothing special about them.
    -- Uncommon: Common items that have been modified in some way or another. Uncommon items have been tweaked to perform a function slightly out of or above their intended purpose.

Mid-tier
    -- Custom
    : Custom built items designed to fit the needs of their owner. The dividing line between a Custom ranked item and an uncommon item, Is the extent of the modifications. While an Uncommon item can still be grouped together with similar items, Custom ranked Items are their own beast entirely.
    -- Engraved: A Step above Custom ranked, Engraved ranked items have been modified by an Engraver Sigil, embedding a special program directly into the Item itself. Engraved items are often called “Magic” items due to their wide range of strange and powerful effects.

High-Tier
    -- Relic
    : Powerful, highly advanced items and tools found within a Relic Ruin. The Inheritance from a long lost Civilization, the production method and effects of Relics are far beyond what is possible today.
    -- Myth: Items and treasures spoken of in Legends and Myths. These ancient items all have their own story to tell and may only show up once in a lifetime. It is said that Mythical items each have a will of their own, and choose their own Masters.
    ------------------------------------

Coinage and Value Conversion
    0.10-USD = 1 weight = 1 Small Bronze
    1.00-USD = 10-W = 1 Large Bronze
    10-USD = 100-W = 1 Small Silver
    100-USD = 1,000-W = 1 Larger Silver
    1,000-USD = 10,000-W = 1 Small Gold
    10,000-USD = 100,000-W = 1 Large Gold

-------------------------------
    WORLD SYSTEM

Basic Stat system, Class levels, but no Character levels, Class sigils. “Magic” and active Skills are performed by semi-organic, microscopic life forms (Magi) in the environment and instructions encoded into “Sigils” which designate “Class”. As the “information” (exp) in a Sigil increases, so does its functions, allowing it to relay more complex instructions to the surrounding Magi. Passive Skills are modifications done to the Body by internal Magi, according to the information drawn from an active Sigil.

Magi: Magi are microscopic, semi organic organisms that exist through the world. These creatures are the tools used by God to shape the world, and they have the power to influence the natural laws of reality. To do so however, they must draw “Energy” in the form of "Metabolic Power" (MP) from a host. Magi take 4 main “forms” that all interact with each other in different ways. Core (Environmental) Magi, Miasma, Internal Magi, and Plasma

-- Plasma: Plasma is the newborn, immature form of Magi. They congregate into large clumps of visible light called “Wisps”. These Wisps will remain near their birthplace in large numbers. Because of Plasma’s unsettled nature, they are extremely unstable and can react violently when stimulated. “Wisp pools”, the natural springs from which Plasma is born, tend to be extremely dangerous areas with unstable environments and powerful Monsters feeding on the young Wisps. However, these springs are also intrical to the natural order of the world, so much so that they are recognized at protected sacred lands by every nation in the world. A Land who’s Wisp Pool is destroyed, will soon wither and Die.

-- Core Magi: Core, or “Settled” Magi, is the most stable, mature form of Magi. Once magi reach the mature phase of their life cycle, they “Settle” into their environment, taking on the properties and nature of that area. Magi that settle in the Ocean will be better able to manipulate Water. Magi that settle in the Earth are able to shift Stone, etc etc. Core Magi can be instructed by the Super Computers call “Sigils” to perform certain tasks, according to the instructions stored in the Sigil.

-- Internal Magi: Internal Magi are Core Magi that have settled into the body of a living being, Human or otherwise. Internal Magi do not take on any set properties, but rather grow and adapt to their host. A Person, who spends a lot of time near the water, may find their Internal Magi taking on a more water centric nature, where someone who mines for a living, may find their Magi more attuned to the Earth. Internal Magi take on a symbiotic relationship with their host. The Magi will slowly rebuild their hosts body to better fit their experiences and abilities as they grow, taking the form of “Passive Skills”. This rebuilding can supplement itself with information from that life form’s Sigil, creating what is known as a “Unique Skill” constructed from their life experiences. Normal Passive Skills can be acquired by anyone, however Unique Skill are one of a kind.

-- Miasma: Miasma is the stagnate, rotting remains of dead Magi. Under normal circumstances, when Magi die; they will be reabsorbed by nearby Wisps and used to birth new Plasma. However, under special circumstances, such as deep underground or in lands where the Wisp Pool is no longer functioning, clouds of stagnate “miasma” will form. While harmless on its own, Core and Internal Magi that are exposed to Miasma for extended periods will mutate into a dangerous, viral form. These Miasmic Magi will latch on to any lifeform they touch, twisting and reshaping them into a “Malignant”, a mindless killing creature that will attack anything not its own, and reshaping the Environment into a twisted mockery of its former state. Malignants will also continuously produce further Miasma, “infecting” the surrounding Magi as they move. While Malignants can be very dangerous, they are unable to survive long in large concentrations of Plasma. As soon as a Miasma is detected by a Wisp Pool, they surrounding Wisps will attack the Miasmic Magi as though they were dead magi and reabsorb them. Thus it has become practice for Adventures to carry a “Wisp Lamp” when adventuring to protect them from Malignant infection.

Sigil: Extremely advanced Computer-like existence that takes the form of a pattern inscribed on a person’s Soul and Body. This pattern contains a huge amount of information (far more than even modern computers are able to handle), and interfaces directly with a person’s brain, allowing them to give instructions to surrounding Magi. The more information that the Sigil contains the higher level privilege (Sigil level) and thus the more complex instructions (Active Skills/Magic) one is able to give to the Magi, and the more detailed changes (passive skills) Internal Magi are able to make.

Most people are born with what is called a “Blank” Sigil. Blank sigils have no stored info and cannot grow. Through a “Baptism” a Sigil can be given a programing based on that person’s Life experiences and wishes to that point, and can evolve and change as they grow. Blank sigils tend to follow a predictable pattern; someone who is physically active may obtain the Warrior Sigil with it eventually evolving into a Solider or Knight sigil. The Greatest advantage of a Blank sigil is its ability to change and adapt, evolving to meet its hosts experiences and skills.

Certain people are born with special “Inheritance” Sigils that already contain programing installed. These Inheritances differ in that they cannot be overwritten. They can be passed down from parent to child, meaning Inheritances tend to play a major role in nobility and succession. While Inheritances can evolve just like a blank sigil, it is far more rare and unpredictable.

4 Types of Sigils
    -- Body: Focus on physical changes to the body
    -- Mind: Focus on changes to the Brain and nervous system
    -- Spirit: Greatest connection to the Magi, and allows the broadest use of “Magic”.
    -- Composite: Combination of 2-3 of the above, however their strength in each area is not as great.

Character Sheet Templates:

Name: Character Name
    Race:
    Active Sigil: The current activated “Class”. Only 1 Sigil can be active at a time. Sigils that have be “deactivated” are remember by the Soul, but active skills cannot be used.
    State: Active effects (Pos/Neg)

Sigil Level: Level of Active Sigil
    HP: Total Life force; 100% = peak condition. 90% = slight injury, 75% = painful injury, 40% = debilitating Injury. Continued heavy action will cause damage, 20% Critical condition, <5% = fatal without treatment.
    MP: Metabolic energy stored in the body. Used by Magi to warp the laws of reality. 1 Unit of MP is the equivalent energy needed for an average grown man to lift a 100lb object to chest height. MP can be restored with food and rest. Excessive use will drain the body of resources, and will leave the host hungry, tired and sore. As the Internal Magi reconstruct their host’s body, energy storage will become more efficient, leading to a larger pool of available MP. However for the same reason, the condition of the Host’s body can lead to a decrease in the total MP pool, if they are not able to retain that energy.

STR: Qualitative numeric value of a Life-Form’s muscle power. High values indicate more developed and complex musculoskeletal system, thus allows that life-form to demonstrate more physical power.
    END: Qualitative numeric value of a Life-Form’s Regenerative power and body density. High values indicate an ability to ignore and heal from damage to a higher level. Increases HP.
    WILL: Qualitative numeric value of a Life-Form’s mental capability and reasoning ability. A higher value indicates a larger intelligence, as well as a greater ability to instruct Magi.
    DEX: Qualitative numeric value of a Life-Form’s flexibility in Mind and Body. Higher values indicate the ability to quickly analyze and react to the environment. Large values Increase the senses.

ACTIVE SKILLS:
    │Complex set of instructions constructed by a Host’s Sigil. Used to communicate with Core Magi and preform metaphysical abilities. Active Skills require the host to supply the Magi with Metabolic power (MP) in order to function.
    PASSIVE SKILLS:
    │Modifications to the Hosts body performed by Internal Magi on a fundamental level. Can effect such things as muscle density, explosive power, brain functions and even energy storage.
    UNIQUE SKILLS
    │Under special conditions, the Internal Magi of a Host may use that life forms experiences and memories stored in their Sigil to construct a completely new Skill. Since these skills are constructed using the data from their own past, these skills are unique to the host and can take on a wide range of forms, passive or Active.

5. Osamaru

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 15: The Monster and the Ghost

[Author’s Note: Woot! Chapter 15, and almost done with the first volume! Once this volume is done, I’ll be doing a bit of rewrite. nothing major, but reformatting some chapters, maybe combining some of the shorter ones at the start, making everything neat and presentable. I’ll post the Link once it’s up, If you’ve been following and reading this, make sure to check it out and spread the word!]
    EDIT: Thanks to Chiisutofupuru from RoyalRoadL for helping with Edits and suggestions for this one!
    Mark’s heart clenched in his chest, and a cold chill spread through his body, banishing the heat from the previous run. He was, had been, a soldier; he understood what an Embassy represented. He swayed on his feet, vision blurring and his legs turning to jelly. Jonathan rushed over and grabbed him before he fell, leaning him up against the nearby building. The older man looked over Mark with sharp eyes and grabbed his wrist, holding two fingers to it for a moment before giving a sigh,

“You overused your Sigil. I’m surprised you can still move.”

Mark struggled to nod his head in understanding as he stared at the small window that that popped into his line of site, a glaring red word flashing next to one of the lines.

Name: Mark Floyd
    Active Sigil: Survivor
    Sigil Level: 4
    HP: 412/550 (Status: stress fracture: right tibia.)
    MP: 8/150 [!!WARNING!!]
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Survivor’s Will put a greater strain on him than he’d first thought, and now that it had deactivated, he was feeling the rebound from pushing himself too far. Even with the increase in level since the last time he’d checked, just this short run had almost wrung him dry.

He leaned up against the wall for a moment, taking in deep, ragged breaths as his body repaired itself. One of the guards nearby handed him a canteen and a small green candy the size of a marble. Mark looked at the small object, then tossed it into his mouth, followed by a long swig from the canteen. As the water hit the candy, it dissolved, sending a cool minty chill flowing down his throat.

The chill spread through his body, the dull aches and creaking bones fading with each passing second. The MP on the window began to tick up over the next few seconds, 18/150, 38/150, 88/150, before stopping at 108/150. It seemed the small candy had been some form of rapid energy recovering medicine. While its effect on a normal guard or Soldier whose Sigil level averaged 10, would have been minor, Mark’s racing heart slowed and power returned to his legs.

His MP reached a stable level, the flashing warning vanished and Healing Factor took effect. His HP raised a point every few seconds. At the current speed, his body would be fully healed in only 12 minutes. Mark started to understand the importance and Power of the Sigil in this world.

He took a moment to catch his breath, then used the wall to support himself as he stood, legs still shaking. Jonathan turned to one of the soldiers next to him and whispered something too quiet for Mark to hear. The soldier nodded and dashed down the back alleyway, heading towards the direction of the Fort. After a few moments, a group marched towards them, Alex leading several armed guards.

Alex raised his hand and the group halted behind him. He approached their position; his eyes widened as he looked at Jonathan standing next to Mark, but turned serious the next moment and spoke to Mark in a low voice,

“Mark, are you alright? Selah said you-”

“I’m fine, just a little tired and sore. We have bigger problems at the moment.”

Mark recounted the events of the last hour. By the time he’d finished, Alex had gone from shock to panic to anger. Even in the dim moonlight, the young man trembled, his hands were clenched and a dark fire burned in his eyes. His voice shook as he stared at the dimly lit embassy.

“We should have killed them when we had the chance. We shouldn’t have lowered our guard before we knew what they were up too.”

“It’s too late, we are running out of time. Where are the rest?”

“Ms. Selah and Lady Caroline rushed to the workshop for something, Sir Matthew and the Duchess are back at the Fort sending out orders to the rest of the city. Tsutsuji….”

Alex’s voice faded as his gaze rose to the sky. Mark couldn't see anything in the dark night, but it was hard to miss the seething mass of fury that radiated through the link, originating from some distant point in the sky. Mark frowned, but nodded his head. At least with the little guide’s eyes on them, they didn’t have to fear the other party escaping. Jonathan spoke up after a moment, addressing them both,

“Whatever the case, I think it's best we regroup and plan our next step. The girly should be safe for now; they want something from her, obviously. Otherwise, why go through the trouble of taking her?”

Mark balled his hands, a deep grumble sounding from his chest. He wanted to rush right in, climb over the walls and take her back this moment, but he understood that such a move would only make things worse. His eyes flashed and he slammed his fist into the nearby brick wall, the stone cracked loud in the silent night. The two men standing next to him jumped in surprise, but when they looked, Mark’s eyes were clearer and calmer.

Mark stood up straight and walked with striding steps towards the fortress, not even bothering to look back at them or the embassy. The two men watched Mark walk off for a moment, before nodding to each other and motioning for their respective squads to follow as they made their way back to the Fortress.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Merry’s head throbbed and pounded against her skull. Her ears ringing, she tried to raise her arm to her head but couldn’t move.Strange voices echoed in the room…………………….

“Half? What do you mean, half?”

Don’t take that tone with me, Human. You heard what I said, the inscription is only half complete.

The shortest figure held up a short wooden rod in one hand, the other gripping an old weathered piece of parchment.

“Then what are we supposed to do? It’s useless without the other half.”

That is what the girl is for. They already know we are here, time is short. Just keep in mind, she’s not one of your ‘dolls’. If she dies before we learn anything useful….”

“Do you take me for a fool? I know that. For now, throw her with the rest, I have to make preparations.”

The small figure looked up at the tall figure for a moment, before walking over and untying the ropes that bound her. Merry’s eyes flashed with hope for a moment, only for her heart to sink as she found she couldn’t make her body move. The small figure picked up her limp body and walked towards the back of the room. Hidden in the shadows, was a large holding cell, the smell of blood and waste mixing with the damp and stale air of an underground room.

The small figure opened the cell door and threw the girl in without another word, shutting the door behind him and walking away. As he disappeared, chains clanked against iron deeper in the cell. The little girl’s heart beat faster, as something stirred in the back of the cell, its body covered in a multitude of chains and shackles.

As the thing turned her way, it stopped for a moment, as if examining her. Merry’s breath seized up, she couldn’t tear her eyes away from the shadowed figure. In the next moment, the figure lunged towards her, the rattling of the chains echoed through the room. The figure stopped only a few feet from Merry’s position, the little girl still unable to move, or even scream, the chains that restricted it pulled tight against the far wall.

Two pale white hands reached out towards her, fingers stretched far longer than they should, small ring like shackles attached to each in several places. As the figure strained against the chains, it moaned in pain and backed away again. As time went on, weeping filled the cell.

------------------------------------------------------------

Selah paced back and forth, the sound of grinding teeth the only thing accompanying the ticking of the grandfather clock in the room. Six figures sat around a small table nearby, the tension building with each passing minute. A soldier walked through the large double doors after a moment, carrying a thick binder, which he placed in front of one of the men. Grace gave the soldier a nod, then turned to Jonathan and said in a low voice,

“Start from the beginning. What have our agents been able to find.”

“Not much, Unfortunately. We’ve been watching the Darksand Embassy for close to a year now, ever since the reports of unusual activity around the area. But without any real evidence, we had no way of launching a proper investigation. All we know is that someone on the inside has been making deals with some of the local syndicates. It was only shortly before the attacks on the Trade route started, that the dealings stopped.”

“You didn’t find that suspicious?"

"We did, but once the attacks started, we no longer had the resources to continue the investigation. It wasn’t until Mr. Floyd and Sir Lūceō gave their story that I started to connect the dots.”

“So what is the connection between this and that? Are you saying the embassy was supplying the Goblins? Why? Do we have enough to even move on?”

“……”

Grace slammed her fist into the table, leaving a small indent, her voice flaring up as she asked, half to herself,

“What is going on in this City? Why is it we are just hearing of this? Why did nobody see these attacks coming? Has my Watch deteriorated to the point that it can’t even keep a few Goblins out?!”

Jonathan paled, but otherwise managed to retain his calm, replying in a steady voice,

“That’s the strange thing about it. Everything has disappeared; the syndicates they were working for have vanished, the goods never left the embassy, even the merchants who supplied the goods seemed to have never existed in the first place. Someone has meticulously scrubbed their trail, not leaving a single eyelash behind. There is something going on here, something bigger than just disrupting trade.”

Selah stopped her frantic pacing and yelled out, eyes burning,

“What then? We just wait?”

Grace sighed, her gaze dropping as she leaned back into the chair, gently rubbing her head, and spoke out in a dull, tired voice,

“There is nothing else we can do. I’ve already sent a message to the Capital requesting authorization to move, but…”

“But nothing! Every moment we waste here, Merry is-”

“You don’t think I realize that!”

Grace shot up from her seat, glaring at her younger sister, voice trembling.

“This goes beyond what we can see! You think I don’t want to drop everything and rush in this instant? There are powers at play here that we don’t know and don’t understand. One wrong move and it could mean more than just the safety of a little girl!”

Selah returned her sister’s burning glare, the later calming her heavy breathing before taking on a calm and cold tone,

“Before I am your sister, I am the Duchess of Whitewood. For now, my hands are tied.”

The two simply stared at each other for a long moment, when the sound of a chair being pushed back, broke their gaze. Mark stood from the table with a swift motion, his face blank and unreadable. He turned and walked out of the room, not bothering to say a word. Alex watched him for a moment, a struggle playing on his face, before he too stood and followed after him. The room watched in silence, though unseen by the rest, a small smirk spread on Grace’s lips.

----------------------------------------------------------

Mark stood in his room, moving about in a rush as he gathered up his supplies and equipment. A voice called out to him from the doorway, low and serious,

“Mark, what are you doing?”

Mark didn’t bother to turn around as he continued to prepare, though the answer he gave was flat and resolved,

“What I need to.”

“Grace is right Mark, we can’t just act hastily in this matter. One wrong move and it could mean far more trouble. It could even mean War!”

Alex raised his voice as he stepped through the doorway, his hands shaking in frustration. He knew how the others felt; even he wanted to rush over, kick the gate down and drag the bastards out. But without evidence to support them…

“You’re forgetting. I’m not involved with this.”

“What do you mean?”

“They’ve said it several times already. I’m a passerby, a stranger on the road. I have no connection to you all.”

Alex stood there with his mouth agape, eyes wide. He was right. Mark was just a stranger, a passerby who got dragged into the mess. He was even a Wanderer, he had no connection to any power or people in this world. Even if the other party wanted to bring up some grievance, there would be no one it could stick to but Mark himself.

Alex was silent, unable to retort, before turning and walking out the door, his brow creased and a deep frown on his face. Mark paused for a moment then returned to what he was doing. About ten minutes later, Mark left his room and headed down the hallway. After a few steps, the door opposite his room opened up and a young man in full gear stepped out. Mark raised an eyebrow and asked in a sarcastic voice,

“What happened to being careful?”

“You’ve forgotten…”

Alex replied back, smirking at the man as he mimicked his words,

“I’m a Hero of Grandeur. I have the authority to go where I need.”

Well, truth be told, it was more complicated than that, but at this point Alex didn’t care. He was tired of the inaction. If he couldn’t do what was needed, then how could he call himself a Hero? He might come to regret his choice later, but that was a burden for him to bare alone. Mark stared at the young man for a long moment, before returning the smirk and shrugging his shoulders. Eyes still on Alex, Mark called out in a loud voice,

“And what about you?”

There was a silent pause, and the figure of a young woman stepped out from around the corner, shoulder length blood red hair tied back and wearing light leather armor. She looked at the two in silence, before speaking in a low flat voice,

“I’m not a Whitewood. Not officially. What I choose to do or not do, is my own matter.”

Mark looked over his shoulder and gave the woman a thoughtful gaze, eyes focused and mouth dipping in a slight frown. He gave a sigh after a moment, then turned around, walking down the hallway and past the woman without another word. Alex followed behind, and as his eyes met Selah’s, they gave each other a nod and followed behind Mark.

As they made their way to the Fort exit, Alex asked Mark,

“So, what’s the plan?”

“If you want to find a Rat, the first place to look is the Rat’s nest.”

Giving those words, Mark turned and headed towards the residential district.

------------------------------------------------

“L-Look man! I r-really don’t know, ok! Just let me go, please.”

Another heavy fist landed in the ragged man’s gut. Causing him to gag and collapse to the ground. Mark bent down and lifted the man by the collar, staring him in the eye as he spoke in a low, threatening voice,

“You expect me to believe that? That they all just vanished overnight?”

“R-really! I’m telling the truth, the higher-ups just disappeared, didn’t tell us anything. Some of the others thought they ran, but w-we don’t know for sure.”

“Then who were you working for?”

“I don’t know that either, I swear! We were just in charge of moving the good, no questions asked. Please, don’t kill me!”

Mark raised his fist again, but was stopped by a hand on his shoulder. Alex look down and said in a calm voice,

“Enough Mark. He doesn't know anything else.”

Mark frowned, but lowered his fist and dropped the shaking man. The man crawled away a few feet, before standing and running out of the alleyway as fast as he could. Alex watched the man go and asked in a low voice,

“Do you have to be so rough? They may be criminals, but most of these people are just down on their luck.”

“Yes. I do. Punks like them only understand violence. If you don’t use enough force, they are just as likely to give you false info out of spite. Let’s go, we still have some time before sunset.”

The two walked out of the alleyway and met with a hooded figure standing watch to one side, the figure called out in a frustrated voice,

“This is a waste of time. That was the fifth one so far, and not one of them knew a thing we didn’t already know. So what now?”

Mark stared at the distant setting sun in silence. They were running out of time, and had barely made any progress. As the three were lost in thought, a voice rang out, only a few feet away from Mark,

“I might be able to help you in that regards…”

Mark twisted around, sending a spinning side kick towards that direction. As the kick swept through empty air, Mark saw a faint shadow step away, though the image faded from his mind as soon as it popped up. Again, the voice called out, not too far away,

“Hey now buddy, no need to be so aggressive. I’ve been watching you for a while, I think we might be able to help each other out.”

Mark took a step back and once more struck out behind him, this time spinning around with a backfist aiming at the figure's head. Again, the figure seemed to blur in his mind, and the strike passed through empty air. In the next moment, Mark felt the cold sting of metal against his throat, and the voice spoke, this time a tinge of annoyance lacing the cold voice,

“Enough. If I didn’t need you, you lot would already be dead. How about we all just calm down and have a little chat?”

Mark looked over his shoulders, a cold glint in his eyes, but otherwise calm, as he gave a nod. The figure smiled and withdrew his dagger, stepping away a few feet, close enough to chat, but not within striking distance. Mark finally got a good look at the stranger; he was a young man, no more than 18-19 years old, his short hair was pitch black, neatly trimmed and slicked back with some form of oil, giving him an air of refinement.

If it wasn’t for the plain dark clothes he wore and cold gleam in his black eyes, you might mistake him for one of the young gentlemen walking the streets of the central island. His face and eyes had the distinct shape one might find in those of Asian descent back in his own world, though the sharp jawline and square body shape common to this area suggested that whatever blood these features represented in this world, it was somewhat diluted. As the young man twirled his dagger and resheathed it with practiced hands, Mark focused his mind on the young man and activated Examine,

Name: Archer <~Ghost~> <~5th Shadow-rat Syndicate Head~>
    Race: Human

Active Sigil: Shadow-Walker
    Sigil Level: 11
    HP: 265
    MP: 955

STR: 50 (15 + 5 + 5 + 25)
    END: 20 (10 + 5 + 5)
    WILL: 140 (20 + 120)
    DEX: 80 (20 + 60)

ACTIVE SKILLS: [Vanish], ??? , ??? , ??? , ???
    PASSIVE SKILLS: [Hide Presence], ??? , ??? , ??? , ??? , ??? , ??? , ???
    UNIQUE SKILLS: ???
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Another headache had appeared. As Mark looked at the screen, a thought popped in his head, and he focused on a certain word. To his surprise, the status screen closed and another replaced it.

Shadow-walker
    Type
    : Mind, Inheritance
    Description: The Shadow-Walker Sigil causes its host brain to emit strong brainwave pattern that interferes with another's ability to perceive or detect their presence. Rather than creating an illusion or controlling the target, a Shadow-walker is able to “blend into the background”. They naturally give off an impression that they are or always have been where they are supposed to be. Someone influenced by a Shadow-walker might confuse or misidentify the Host for someone else, fail to notice their actions, or simply ignore them all together as though they are a piece of the environment. These characteristic have led many Shadow-walkers to take up lucrative careers as thieves, spies and assassins, but they are also highly valued in many Armies and Adventurer groups as Scouts.

Mark squinted his eyes, deep in thought as he stared at the screen, when Selah suddenly spoke up, pulling down the hood and giving the young man a dark glare as she spoke in a low threatening tone,

“Ghost. What are you doing here? I’d thought all of the Syndicate higher ups had vanished?”

“Aye, that they did little Princess. But they didn’t just vanish. They were ‘removed’.”

“Removed?”

“Yes, it seems that someone isn’t taking any chances with this one. As soon as our last deal was done, people started to vanish. I’m all that’s left.”

“And why is that? How did you get away?”

At Selah’s question, the young man shrugged his shoulders, a cheeky grin spreading on his face as he lifted his nose high and spoke,

“Come on now, little Princess. How long has your sister been trying to get her hands around me? What chance does someone else have?”

Mark cut off their banter before it could go on, turning to Archer and speaking in a low warning voice,

“Fine, fair enough. What did you want to speak about?”

The young man lowered his arms and looked at Mark with eyes filled with a cold light, his voice serious and deadly.

“I want the same thing you want. Answers. They took something from me, something very important. I want it back.”

“What does that have to do with us? Why bother approaching us?”

“Because I need your help to do so. It’s currently in a place I don’t have the ability to get at.”

“Let me guess. The Embassy.”

“Correct, my good Chum!”

“With your ability, why not just go get it yourself? You could just walk in and out.”

Archer’s eyes went wide in surprise at first, but a smirk soon spread on his face and he said with a chuckle,

“Impressive, you could see through me with just a few glances. Unfortunately, it isn’t that simple. A Shadow-Walker’s abilities aren't absolute, there are ways to counter it. Otherwise, every King in the world would be a paranoid bundle of nerves.”

The young man gave a laugh at his own joke, before speaking again.

“Getting in. That’s the easy part. But getting out? That’s where you lot come in. So, what do you say?”

As he spoke, Archer gave a bright smile worthy of any great con-man.

6. Osamaru

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Osamaru

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 13 is up. I'll have Chapter 14 up later today as well, after I get some editing done on it.

8. Osamaru

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Osamaru

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 15 is up! I tried a little bit of a different writing style this time, so please tell me how you think it compares!

10. Osamaru

Reading List:
    Link
    Want to first thank all of the people who have been reading up to this point for your suggestions and feedback! really helped to develop the story in a more natural way and improve the writing, High-Five to you all!

Unfortunately, I have to say, No new chapter yet, sorry. I've not dropped it by any means, but My brain is being fried with Math stuff right now, getting ready to test into Pre-Calculus.

I'm slowly working on the next chapter, and building the plot to the end of the Volume, but no guarantee when it'll be up. Could be 2 days, could be 2 weeks, depending on how quickly I can get all of this done with the class.

Once I DO get it finished though, I'll be wrapping up the volume pretty quick and getting the last few chapters out pretty fast, so stay tuned and keep watch!

11. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    An arrow to the chest isn't that lethal for the most part. Then again, you didn't say he's dead, so he might be alive if I keep reading... Actually, why wasn't he wearing some sort of leather armor in case they were attacked?

Is detail that takes away from the flow of the story. The girl is in danger, stay focused on her, or the hero trying to save them.

Wasn't he a soldier??

But why is the goblin so gentle?? Wouldn't it throwing the girl against the ground and then kicking her make more sense?

Why isn't the goblin using it's sword? Does it just want to play?? I guess that's the flaw of intellect, belittling others...

What if he just kills himself?? Other than becoming feed, he won't really affect anything after that. Unless you count becoming manure and his body living as nutrients for the soil.

12. Osamaru

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the Feedback!

1: It has more to do with the one who shot the Arrow, but that's later in the story. As for the armor, He's just a Merchant, and they are on a (suppose to be) pretty safe Trade Road.

2: I can see that. Got you.

3: Solider turned Cop.

4: its less gentle and more of a brooding rage, kind of thing. Guess Dropped would be a better word.

5: Ya, he's playing with him. Forest Goblins for the most part, are farm more agile and slightly stronger than humans, though most are not as intelligent. They are not like your "typical" novel goblins that a rookie can deal with, it normally takes a trained Solider to deal with one.

6: He was "picked" because he's not that kind of person, rather he's someone who will cause change. if that makes sense.

13. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 5
    We just had an exposition last chapter, the one here was too soon and a bit repetative. Also, another problem of no moon as that the planet becomes wobbly. Earth is relativly stable with its axis because it has a moon to help it stay in place.

Interlude
    Why do they use words like digital or data?? It’s like saying “fire” to release an a arrow. Fire refers to lighting the gun powder, not the actualy bullet. Therefore, that term shouldn’t be used with arrows. If the terms digital and data are intentional, it makes me thing a computer simulation world.

Chapter 6
    Tba

14. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 5
    We just had an exposition last chapter, the one here was too soon and a bit repetative. Also, another problem of no moon as that the planet becomes wobbly. Earth is relativly stable with its axis because it has a moon to help it stay in place.

Interlude
    Why do they use words like digital or data?? It’s like saying “fire” to release an a arrow. Fire refers to lighting the gun powder, not the actualy bullet. Therefore, that term shouldn’t be used with arrows. If the terms digital and data are intentional, it makes me thing a computer simulation world.

Chapter 6
    Tba

15. Osamaru

Reading List:
    Link
    Chp 5: That was actually addressed a bit further in;
    "The Moon’s function in nature was not just to light up the Night sky, it played an important role in the natural order of the World. Its influence moved Land and Sea, called the Tides and the Wind. Its pull even affected the growth and direction that Life would take over the Eons. With its destruction and the splitting of the Skyshards, while the moon’s influence was not erased, it was greatly weakened. A Great Stone can support a Great burden, but when that Stone is broken into gravel, then that support is no longer stable.

With the weakening of the Moon’s influence, the World was thrown into chaos and destruction. There was a need to replace that lost influence, to bring Order back from Chaos. Thus, the Magi were born. The Magi, in terms you would understand, are something similar to Organic Nanobots; microscopic bio-machines designed to “mimic” the influence and power that was lost. Alone, a single Magi cannot do much, but just as the trillions of cells make up your body, the countless Magi scattered through the World have the power to influence and reshape reality."
    Though I agree, I think these chapters Dump to much info all at once. I'm going to have to think about how to spread it out when I do the rewrite.

Interlude: This is partly that Tsutsuji is connected to Mark and shares a slight telepathic link as well as being somewhat knowledgeable about his own World (Shes an Anime fan too, hohohohoh). and partly because computers, or at least their Analog, exist in this world. Though they are not Available or wildly know to the general population (or even most nobility).

16. Osamaru

Reading List:
    Link
    The "Setting" for the story is less Medieval like most stories, and closer to the edge of the Industrial revolution, though will some differences.

17. Osamaru

Reading List:
    Link
    Q.Q Its been a Year since I've wrote anything. I really should get back into it.

p_consti and Hexwolfx like this.
  18. Hexwolfx

Hexwolfx 【Hex Researcher】【Crime Syndicate - Most Hated】

Reading List:
    Link
    Ya good boy you came back. Sorry stupid dog joke

Osamaru likes this.
  19. p_consti

p_consti Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No more chapters? :cry: