Release verification process?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by mockmountain, Nov 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mockmountain

mockmountain Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The add release page states "All releases will be verfied before it gets added to the website."
    • verified is spelled wrong.
    Also I think it should either be
    • All releases will be verified before they get added to the website.
    • Each release will be verified before it gets added to the website.

----

On that note, what does verification entail? I imagine it's just "If multiple people enter the same thing, then it's verified". If so, how many colluding users does it take to pass verification? I feel it could take less/none if there's some url pattern matching threshold that can be met instead, weighted in combination with the adder's reputation/history of adding corroborated releases.

I would be way more into this adding thing if I could add a release, then check it off my reading list right after.

CDLevit likes this.
  2. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    @Tony has to manually accept the release to go through to the front page for new releases, but most of them are automatic so its usually for stuff not auto tracked. aka you submit chapter X for series X (Say from baka-tsuki) Tony has to go and hit "Release" or w/e button he hits for it to show up on the list and on the front page.

Tony and CDLevit like this.
  3. mockmountain

Reading List:
    Link
    Some degree of human intervention makes sense for releases showing up on the front page. Still interested in the details if there are more that can be shared.

The release I'm currently waiting on is God and Devil World chapter 152. Chapter 151 isn't on the front page, but is listed with Novel Updates. TL change, so maybe that broke it's automatic status... Unfathomable mysteries, this place...

4. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you waiting for this one ? I input it this morning, so I'm assuming tony's been busy all morning. At the moment hes the only one who can push them through. As it is a new site translating it's bound to be a bit slow.

5. mockmountain

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I added that too. I figured that multiple people adding nearly the exact same stuff would be validation enough and we were only waiting on a a couple more people to repeat it. Pity, that's not how it works :<

Still, I wonder how much time actually goes into vetting releases. Shouldn't be too bad with the current count of front-page-daily's... But like, every day, since Novel Update's inception, till now, and beyond... Oh man...

6. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    4 months is roughly what tony said, anything past 4 months we have to add manually. -shrug- We just gotta be patient people be busy on mondays :).

7. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fixed. Thanks

If you're wondering how many releases I had to approve today. It was just one and that was God and Devil World c152 and it took a second.

I'm not sure if it was because they moved websites or if they tagged the series wrong. I'll take a look in a bit. c151 is from a wordpress subdomain while c152 is from their own domain. It seems like they moved in between chapters.

I'm currently working on the admin tools for the top ranked users so there shouldn't be a big delay for releases that needs a "review".

mockmountain likes this.
  8. mockmountain

Reading List:
    Link
    Just the one? And here I was imagining you to be some crazy link validation robot that had to churn through our collective release spam in the thousands...

9. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe I'll have a FAQ somewhere when I'm bored but the site basically just downloads and process RSS feeds every five minutes automatically. It takes about 1 minute to download and process the RSS feeds though. I think. I haven't actually timed it.

As for the older releases, those does need to be approved but users who were adding releases frequently already has their releases auto approved.

I'm currently tracking 307 RSS feeds. This number keeps growing though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.