Feature Request relevant / helpful comment priority over random crap

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by Astaroth, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    My suggestion is to allow Original Poster to tick comments they find more helpful, relevant, promote actual discussion, or whatever to show up first. Basically "top comment", "best answer", "stickied comment", or something.

e.g. [​IMG]

Currently when you make a post that require any kind of thought: for a response to be of help or contribute to the topic you'll get at least 80% random comments that while not exactly "shitposts" they do take up a lot of space (especially if they have gigantic signatures) which make it even more likely for other people to make such comments and harder to find the more helpful or relevant comments.

And for the record I'm complaining about this while I only use NU through my computer and I've enabled 100 comments / page, I can't even imagine how shitty it must be for mobile phone users.

P.S. And perhaps instead of deleting mostly harmless posts or locking entire topics because mods feel like it will promote (insert whatever), something like a "bad comments" system would be a lot better. If there's a mostly harmless comment then couldn't mods simply have an option to hide the comment so instead of completely removing posts or topics nuffians would have to click to show these hidden comments, basically like how you reveal spoilers.

Basically like this, but an entire comment

Shio likes this.
  2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, it's bad, all answers that are not off topic are supposed to be there on the proper order, if someone is replying to one of those posts, it would be weird if they were out of order for any particular reason.

Just report off topic posts, the other posts have a reason for existing.

3. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Quotes link back to the original post and you still see the number of each post at the bottom right corner.

e.g. yours has #2 and this comment will have #3.

And while another post isn't off topic itself, it can encourage other people to post off topic as a reply to it.

Like today/yesterday an entire topic was LOCKED simply because one person replied with saying he's Asian so you can guess his D size.

4. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Report that person's post and wait for it, as simple as that, there is at least one mod online at almost all times of the day, if you report something, it will probably be solved quickly.

Seeing the number of the post on the bottom doesn't help one bit if they were out of order, would still make a confusing read, besides, phone users don't see the post number.

ChairryPie likes this.
  5. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    The mod locks the thread because of said post but doesn't delete the post, so you tell me I should report the post?

Did you even read what I said?

See now there's 4 posts clogging up this thread that aren't off topic per se but they don't really contribute to anything, all you did was take up space.

I guess according to yourself I should now report you for being off topic? :rolleyes:
    I guess sites like Reddit, Imgur, Youtube, Stack Exchange, and basically anything that isn't Nove Updates Forum must not have any users at all and especially not mobile users. :ROFLMAO:

Cryarc likes this.
  6. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    According to FAQ and forum rules, a topic needs to have a "serious" or "no-hijacking" tag before you can report people for doing just that :p
    Yeah. Let's compare NU with these giants... :unsure:

BTW - as a NU(/F) newbie I'm a bit lost reading this thread. What comments are you talking about, exactly?

7. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Well lets make a super easy example.

lets say you're asking for recommendations similar to a novel you already read. Instead of the first comment being "wow you have bad taste m0te, that thing focken socks dood" when someone who make an actual response listing a bunch of novels and some short comments or explanations about why they think they're similar to your request you can make that one show up at the top so other people popping in will see that first and know what they don't have to recommend.

Now some troll like that you can actually report for off topic, but even if you do unless they're actually deleted right away there will be a bunch of other people making their own responses as well derailing the thread.

A better example would be when someone responds to just the title but didn't actually read the post itself. Or perhaps someone who doesn't read at all like a certain someone who told me I should report a person after I already mentioned how a mod locked the entire thread because they already saw said person I should have reported and didn't want other people to follow up and derail the thread.

That's why I also suggested something like "bad comments" (what it's usually called on other sites) so you can collapse a comment to hide it like how spoilers work, click on it and it will appear.

If you could actually just delete comments on a whim like mods do all the time that would be awful, but if you can minimize the comment it can easily be found out if the Original Poster or whoever has this power is abusing it.

Basically who can respond quicker than the actual person looking for help / novel suggestions? It would save the mods a lot of work. And hopefully that would mean that mods don't have to lock every thread when they feel like they will have to delete too many replies which they can't be bothered with.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  8. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm explaining to you why the suggrstion you made has low chances of being implemented and explaing why it is so, if that is off-topic, I don't know what topic it is about.
    He is talking about replies to threads.
    If you feel like a thread lock was not justified, PM a mod about it, if they agree with your view, they can open the thread again, if not, they'll explain why.

9. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would I do that? They already explained they can't be bothered waiting to repeatedly delete posts even if it's just 1/10 people who does it. It's completely justified and so I say maybe there should be another way so mods don't have to do all the work. All you say to that is "report to mod so they will fix it" when what I'm saying is that PERHAPS MODS SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO ALL THE WORK.

See how there really hasn't been ANY talk about what's good or bad with my suggestion and only a pointless discussion about how I have to explain the same thing 4 times.

10. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, that's because I wasn't use what you meant originally. I thought that perhaps there is a separate comment system somewhere i haven't found yet. And I didn't wanna reply without seeing it first.
    No that I know you just meant "posts", I can tell you why that's unlikely to happen:
    While the website itself was written by Tony, the forum was installed from a ready script. Namely XenForo.
    So even if your idea got some traction, it would be extremely difficult to implement - it would require Tony to study XenForo's script before he could even begin to think about how to implement the changes. It would take a lot of time and be quite a bit of work. And I'm pretty sure there are more important things to implement/improve rather than this one.

Still, since this is a professional forum software we're using, there are addons for it. Quite a lot of them, actually. So go ahead, have a read. If you find one that meets your requirements, bring it up. Perhaps they'll consider it then.

Astaroth likes this.
  11. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I already said it pretty clearly why I think your suggestion is bad, you just didn't agree with me.

Being able to hide comments on a thread also allows the OP to hide any comments that disagree with his PoV, this can be quite annoying at threads about bothersome topics, like the ones about Harem hate, or the ones in which one person tries to justify why one language of novel is better than another.

So I still think your suggestion is a bad idea, even if you don't think like so.

And yeah, mods have a lot of work, but they signed up for this themselves, they wouldn't do it if they thought they weren't up to the job, moderating can be quite boring, and more than once you end up feeling bad for doing your job, but they do it because they like the community and want it to be a nice environment... If I think a normal user might abuse if they gain too much power, I'd rather let the mods do their job instead, even if it means more work for them.
    What Ral said as well, most things for NUF were made out of xenforo plugins, remember that Tony doesn't even get money from NUF, it's the forgotten child, NU is the one that is really developed.

You need a really good reason to make some development come to NUF, or at the very least a plugin that does the job for you.

12. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha well considering that most of the time the replies are one or two short sentences I thought it was appropriate to simply call them comments. But yes I'm referring to post replies to original posts on NUF topics.

There's like hundreds of suggestions and most of them won't ever be implemented, so of course I'm not expecting it. What would be the point of a suggestions section if you're not supposed to give suggestions because it's unlikely that it will be implemented? I'm just doing my part, whatever happens with it isn't up to me.

All the more reason to make their job easier so they don't have to suffer doing it. Considering that my whole point is that mods have too much work and they literally can't do their job without taking shortcuts, this really doesn't mean anything at all?

Just because you want it to be a nice environment doesn't meant that's what it will become? Thoughts don't mean anything on their own. Like what are you even trying to say here, that because they want it to be nice they should work harder?

Because they want it to be nice they should just suck it up? That's probably (hopefully) not what you actually think, but that's what you're saying as far as I can tell.
    So what do you think is more annoying work? Having to give a warning to one person or every person who responded to said person?

Again there's a reason entire threads / topics are LOCKED because mods don't want to have to continuously delete posts in the same thread over and over again. There's only so many mods and they don't have all the time in the world, and if an original poster abuse the ability to tag posts as bad posts or whatever it will be there for all to see and the mods can simply give that person a warning instead of 50% of the post replies.

Mods DELETE posts so nobody will know what it said, but if you can simply click on it to show it like how spoilers work then it will obviously be there for all who care to see clear as day if the original poster is abusing it.

Usually you have 3 strikes for these kinds of things, you get a warning once or twice before it's completely removed when you show that you aren't listening. It's nothing you can abuse more than what trolls do already, if anything it's the opposite since with this trolls can still screw around with their own topics they make, but at least they won't go on to someone else's topic and derail it.

It's really annoying for me that your whole argument about mods do the work because they want to when what I've been saying the entire time is that simply because there's too much work mods will lock entire topics so they don't have to do more work...

In other words THEY AREN'T ALWAYS DOING IT! And it's completely understandable, since can you really expect one or two persons online at the time to waste their entire spare time on this? NO. And that's where my SUGGESTION come in...

tl:dr you can say "mods should do more work" all you want, but it's pretty obvious they don't. If you really think that maybe you should become a mod and try it? Until then we will have innocent topics locked because it's too much work for mods to regulate the trolls.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  13. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Already been a mod before on another place, I know how it is, I know how troublesome it is, and I personally felt bad whenever I had to moderate, I did it anyway because I thought that was the best thing to do atm.

At any rate, I have nothing else to say on this topic, already made my point, and you simply said the same thing you already did before, no use having me repeat my argument again.

14. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a great idea for post that are in "I'm looking for ..." section or thread for reaction/question. Youtube, Quora, and several other sites use this format because it is more suitable for their forum type. It does not, however, match with discussion related thread such as LCD, original composition & game section.

It would be nice if it could be implemented at I'm looking for section, but I don't think that it will be applied at NUF. For one, as mentioned before, NU takes priority. Second, it is not urgent enough for the change to be implemented.

PS: you could disable viewing people's signature in setting.

Cryarc and Astaroth like this.