Discussion Sci-fi or Fantasy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lygarx, Mar 21, 2017.

?

Story settings

1. Fantasy

36 vote(s)
    78.3%
  2. Sci fi

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  1. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    What genre/setting do you prefer?
    A sci fi world or a fantasy one. Personally I prefer Fantasy with magic. Islands in the sky. Best with the ancient past style setting. I love Eastern, Western, or Aztec/Mayan/Inca/etc type or even just an ancient world with a little bit of it all. I have gotten bored of the whole sci fi thing. I used to love sci fi as a kid, but I got tired of it.

2. yonna

yonna Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    id prefer both but sci-fi suits my tasts better
    it would be great if they were combined

akki likes this.
  3. Hazery

Hazery Missing Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fantasy of course...

Sci-fi is too complicated to digested, by having this or that, then proceed to explain some complicated thing that i don't need to know, sigh...

While Fantasy, you can become anything there! Swordmage, mage, sorcerer, and dragon, everything you wanted is always available in fantasy setting!

4. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    I cannot vote, as I actually really with a dark and gritty space magic setting is a thing.

5. Zom the Monk

Zom the Monk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Scifi is a harder genre to write in general I believe, being able to keep the science somewhat credible and consistent while not overly detailed in order to not scare away the readers. So if I had to choose between two equally well written books of their corresponding genres I would choose Scifi.

Dragon God, asriu, akki and 1 other person like this.
  6. RandomDot

RandomDot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fantasy because sometimes, I find Sci-Fi to be a bit "Unrealistic"? It's weird. Probably because Sci-Fi functions mostly under the real world's laws and such whilst Fantasy deals with magic, something that does not exist in reality and is thus not limited by our rationality or logic. Basically, FREEEEDOOOM *Eagle screech*

Cupcake Ninja likes this.
  7. Wrestleroh

Wrestleroh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's tough to decide, I like both. I think I'd enjoy Sci-fi more if it had all the elements I love and none that I don't like. Like a focus on human evolution instead of space battles. It's funny, I actually wrote an essay about this just this morning.

8. raysha18

raysha18 [Blank]

Reading List:
    Link
    fantasy especially when it comes to novels. terms used in sci-fi sometimes are very difficult to understand. though anime and movies are fine for both.

9. fireclaws

fireclaws 『FA Sect's Hermit』 『Rice Bucket』

Reading List:
    Link
    I like both, but prefer fantasy more than sci-fi cause dragons and other mythical creatures.

10. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    its hard to write a good scifi novel. You would be bound by certain laws and you'd have to either be really good at bullshitting your way through or consult with experts when writting a certain part. Fantasy is easier, it can be whatever you want and aren't bound by anything but imagination. Personally i naturally have an inclination towards fantasy stories, but i enjoy both. I liked Ender's Game, for example.

Dragon God and raysha18 like this.
  11. Mindless-Genius

Mindless-Genius Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like fantasy but I like sci-fi too

The things is I like fantasy more because sci-fi is kinda hard to understand and I especially dislike sci-fi mecha.

12. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a good point. With fantasy you can say anything and just say hey it's a world of magic. Of course it's possible. It's not so easy getting away with that in anything related to science.

13. xalienxgamerx

xalienxgamerx Mmm friend...

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't get into sci-fi unless it's really well written and the author does actual research, meaning the author doesn't pull a bunch of bullshit "science" out of their ass. I do however enjoy sci-fi with fantasy elements.
    Edit: Though it also isn't good if the author gets too complicated for the average reader.

14. mio

mio just me

Reading List:
    Link
    love both, but prefer a mix with more fantasy, and well-explained, vague sci-fi parts (vague bc it stops me from immediately knowing they're wrong or are talking out of their ass, as then the story is no longer of interest to me)

15. admira

admira Dino Pirate

Reading List:
    Link
    The line between them is pretty fuzzy anyways, it's easier to just call it all "speculative fiction" and be done with it. In my fantasy lit class, we also read dystopian and alien novels as well.

But, I read (and play) more fantasy, so I'll go with that.

16. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you rephrase that?
    It is unreadable to me.

17. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
  18. Reddles

Reddles Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends. I like a good sci-fi, but most of it has too many inaccuracies and I get annoyed (particularly with web novels). Stuff with mechas especially bothers me, it just makes no logical sense! To write a good sci-fi you really need to think things through and understand what you're talking about, and probably do some research. I think fantasy is a lot easier to write, since most stuff doesn't need to be explained as long as it has basic internal consistency. As long as you have a cool idea and a general structure for the story and how the world works (and some talent), you can probably get by with just making the rest up as you go along. So:
    Professional Novels: Sci-Fi
    Amature/Web Novels: Fantasy

Edit: Also, sci-fi is harder to write than fantasy because fantasy is based on the past but sci-fi requires you to predict the future. You can make a decent fantasy world by just picking any historical period and throwing in some magic or fantastical creatures or something, but its a lot more difficult to invent a plausible futuristic society.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    mir likes this.
  19. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    I was pretty sleepy...

I'm stuck between the two
    I really want a dark and gritty series set in a universe with space magic

20. Haevrus

Haevrus No.1 Incognito Webuser

Reading List:
    Link
    Fantasy . I think, I can lean more there. Reading science-fic .I feel like its bland to my taste. Maybe, because I see it in day to day life, science you know. But fantasy, you have never heard. If someone says, magic is much better then science or vive-versa, it does not matters to you because you probably have never seen it except voodoo or tantric etc. You can imagine it to your will, while science fic this is a drawback. You can't make things cooler out of air. That's why, for imaginative and novel purposes. Fantasy is the way to go.