Recommendations Series with many translated chapters

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Sparteh, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Sparteh

Sparteh The Devourer

Reading List:
    Link
    Posting this on behalf of a friend. Basically he wants recommendations which of these series to read next (or perhaps skip forever). Since I have ether read only a few chapters or haven't read these at all, he asked to post here. There are few series he is more interested than rest because lack of info (at least from his point of view). I marked them.
    1. Ancient Strengthening Technique
    2. Dragon-Marked War God
    3. Peerless Martial God
    4. Skyfire Avenue
    5. Spirit Realm
    6. Swallowed Star
    7. The Magus Era
    8. The Nine Cauldrons
    9. Undefeated God of War
    10. World of Cultivation
    11. Wu Dong Qian Kun
    12. Ze Tian Ji
    Basically could you write reasons for why to read X series. Lets say something like: Y series is similar to Z series, T is well written or don't read D because MC is dumb etc.

2. abdera7man

abdera7man Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The_Follower likes this.
  3. Deleted member 43009

Deleted member 43009 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Dragon Marked God- Protagonist is too arrogant and basically kills/cripples them instantly if they do something something that offends them even if it is small

blablabla12 likes this.
  4. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    Ugh....if your friend like mga then maybe he'll like wdqk... Basically same shit repeated over and over again.

blablabla12 likes this.
  5. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean.... isn't this exact question why there is a review section?

I recommend Skyfire Avenue.
    Read my review of it on the novel page.

6. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    You know you can just use the search filter and set it to > 800 releases, right?

7. Artesia

Artesia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Ancient Strengthening Technique - If you pick it up you will probably drop it after every one in awhile because its the same things, train, defeat enemies, get women and then train and new enemies, do not bulk read or too boring
    2. Dragon-Marked War God - Nice novel at start but gets boring fast
    3. Peerless Martial God - Novel is really good but gets boring around chapter 300 and goes really bad from there
    4. Skyfire Avenue - I think this is a nice novel to read,
    5. Spirit Realm - Nice novel to read
    6. Swallowed Star - Amazing MC and the novel is really unique once you start getting into it in translated chapters
    7. The Magus Era - Bad novel, forgot why but I only liked first hundred chapters
    8. The Nine Cauldrons - Good story in the first few volumes but gets bad and boring
    9. Undefeated God of War - Stupid dumb MC, well I think so
    10. World of Cultivation - First 100 chapters are boring, but starts getting really interesting after after he leaves the sect
    11. Wu Dong Qian Kun - Do not bulk read because novel gets boring, its interesting but gets boring fast
    12. Ze Tian Ji - Haven't read

Sparteh, Hishiron and Shance like this.
  8. AndrewOrion

AndrewOrion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Second this, I even got my dad, who's about to retire, to read it and he enjoys it.
    My next choices would be Nine Cauldrons, and Swallowed Star, just because IET is my weakness.

abdera7man likes this.
  9. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    219278 likes this.
  10. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm lacking in CN reads, but I'll try to give my opinions on the novel I have read.

Dragon-Marked War God: This was one of the very few reincarnated/transmigrated CN cultivation novels that I have read. The biggest draw to why you should read the novel is because it's about an OP MC that has talent from his previous life. Since he was a pinnacle/the strongest in the past, he's an expert in knowledge such as pill concocting and cultivation techniques so he's pretty strong. Now, romance is pretty lacking. The first heroine enters decently early and not like 100 chapters like other novels, but the romance doesn't really evolve more than her being considered the wife and a part of the cast. She does play a role and isn't just decoration, but she isn't there most of the time due to reasons/conflicts/plot. Another turn off would be the dog companion since he's there mostly for crude jokes like butt biting and fart jokes. Overall it's a pretty normal cultivation novel. It doesn't leave a big impression, but it's not like it's completely forgettable either. Things develop at a slightly fast pace compared to other novels and it's "okay" though out. Now whether he's an arrogant ass. IMO, he's not that bad. It's more of the he's like every other character in that aspect where it's not obvious and is tolerable since he's MC. I personally didn't notice since its a CN cult world, kinda normal. It's mostly the OP MC wish type novel.

11. Artesia

Artesia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    when you read it do you always feel like its missing something? I drop it everyone in awhile due to that, I think its no suspense and author just throws everything

12. nicostrato

nicostrato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I Shall Seal the Heavens, completely translated, is best wuxia novel I have read
    Emperor's Domination is also great, has around 850 chapters translated

13. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I dropped it after they left to the kingdom to the center one. It was just meh and got really boring. It did feel generic and the enjoyment aspect was only in the moments of MC giving skills or being OP.

14. podlizurko

podlizurko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well its more of a xianxia.

On topic 9 and 12 are my favourites with no big glaring holes , rest have issues.

15. DubZer0

DubZer0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Undefeated God of War is one of my all time favorites. The MC is dumb, but the crew is entertaining and he always gets into interesting situations. Unfortunately, every other aspect of the novel is mediocre, from the author's writing style and world building to the actual translation, which down right sucks. However, it is still a good read.

World of Cultivation is a good read unfortunately, the translators are a bunch of idiots. Rather than doing a professional job of translating like RWC or Deathblade, they have their own philosophy, which is to leave a bunch of random ass Chinese terms in the story b/c they are too lazy to look up English terms. It makes making sense of the first dozen chapters really difficult and I don't read anything else that group translates b/c getting into any story is too fucking annoying.

Wu Dong Qian Kun is garbage. I read 700+ chapters of it and it was mostly boring, even the fighting parts. I dropped it when MC risks his life for some girl who treated him like garbage from the moment she saw him but apparently b/c they're from the same sect, he has to be the one dude who goes back for her. It's obviously written by some otaku living in his parents basement or something.

Ze Tian Ji is even worse because the romance is such a fucking joke, you'd rather read a story about some dickless JP MC than that garbage. The female lead treats the MC as shit, uses him until he's no longer useful and than tosses him aside, and they still end up together. And the cultivation sucks ass in the story, MC is basically a cripple but at the same time he's not.

Spirit Realm, give it a read if you're a masochist. Seriously, another garbage novel. Everything that could possibly go wrong is going to go wrong for the MC, and people betray the MC all the time and he doesn't do shit about it b/c they are women. One of his partners steals the recipe to his life saving treasure, the one thing that gives him any power, and gives it to her family, and he doesn't do shit about it. Garbage.

Sparteh likes this.
  16. porkbuns

porkbuns Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Ancient Strengthening Technique : Not a big fan of the concept of the novel and the personality of the character. MC transmigrates and gains abilities from some video game he used to play. MC acts like a horny teen and is out to bang all the hot milfs he sees.
    2. Dragon-Marked War God: Peerless expert that dies gets resurrected into the body of some young master from small family. It's a pretty mediocre novel (it's your typical power-up and beating up arrogant young masters novel), nothing really spectacular, but not a bad read overall.
    3. Peerless Martial God: Read it awhile back, can't seem to remember too much about it :p, but my impressions of the novels from what i can remember is the same as #2 (not bad, but not good either).
    4. Skyfire Avenue: Not a big fan of this author's works in general, added on to all the 1 star review from people who have finished it. Heard the ending is pretty bad, and the whole dysfunctional relation (rape victim turned love interest :p) isn't my cup of tea.
    5. Spirit Realm: same as #2 (not bad, but not good either)
    6. Swallowed Star: same as #2 (not bad, but not good either)
    7. The Magus Era: same as #2 (not bad, but not good either)
    8. The Nine Cauldrons: same as #2 (not bad, but not good either)
    9. Undefeated God of War: Seems to be pretty heavy on the comedy aspect (at least in my impression of the novel) and the MC seems to be a bit of a muscle head (MC's personality doesn't suit my taste).
    10. World of Cultivation: Just like #12, some love it and some hate it. It starts out slow, but I assume it gets a lot better judging by its reviews. Maybe I'll get back to it one day :p
    11. Wu Dong Qian Kun: same as #2 (not bad, but not good either). Some kid discovered a OP talisman, which also contains the spirit of creature from some OP clan, and thus begins his adventure to power-up, beat up arrogant young masters, and rape hot chicks (and somehow not get brutally murdered by her afterwards)
    12. Ze Tian Ji: Some people love it, and some people hate it. Unfortunately, i'm one of those that just couldn't get past the slow place at the start of the novel (the MC's personality also doesn't suit my taste)
    Order of recommendation : most -> least
    5, 6, 2, 8, 11, 3, 7, 10/12, 9, 1, 4

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Sparteh likes this.
  17. monkey magic

monkey magic Born from an egg on a mountain top

Reading List:
    Link
    it starts off well enough, but eventually it is just the same thing over and over and over. it gets pretty boring (I don't know why I keep reading it)
    This was one of my favourite novels at the start, but it's just not as good as it was. I don't know why. It might be because he hasn't actually had any real enemies or problems for a very long time.

as for the rest. I have dropped almost every novel listed here lol. They have varying levels of bad.

18. nicostrato

nicostrato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Never could figure out the difference between xianxia and wuxia