Discussion [SERIOUS] Let's brainstorm a better way to translate "Face"

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Sythellri, Aug 20, 2016.

?

How do you feel about "Face?"

1. It could be translated better.

2. It's fine the way it is.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rice1321

Rice1321 Daoist Curious Fall

Reading List:
    Link
    Face is pretty much a term where people have expectations for you. If you fail or do something stupid, you lose respect from people because you fail to meet their expectations. It is also very hard to gain back that respect. So face is pretty much the equivalent of respect in a western context. However since most xianxia/xuanhuan are of a eastern nature, the term respect cannot really be applied. So keeping it as face would be more suitable.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    runsing likes this.
  2. Eternal Liar

Eternal Liar [Forever Alone Sect Founder]

Reading List:
    Link
    It is better to keep it the way it is, while it is true that to westernized the source would make it easier to understand and read but different languages has their own way of writings. They cannot be perfectly translated without losing some of the nuances, those unnecessary things that you mention could in fact be rid of, but as you said it is moe. By westernizing it you lose the moe. It would just seem closer to a western novel instead, the point of translation is to feel as if you reading the translated works as if it was from the original language itself.

(This is my own opinion and is not considered to represent the views of any other parties)

runsing, deadLights and Greedyspree like this.
  3. nerebear

nerebear Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As an editor, i fully support changing most of the ethnic related words and phrases to better suit the english audience; however, for little, understandable, words like "face", i say keep em. They help give me the "oh, this is a cn" kinda feel.

MasterCuddler and Astaroth like this.
  4. Greedyspree

Greedyspree 『Exile within the back room』

Reading List:
    Link
    I completely appreciate your whole view...but this line alone truly makes me feel...that you should go into politics.

xalienxgamerx likes this.
  5. Stormingtiger101

Stormingtiger101 Procrastinator ○

Reading List:
    Link
    No, most people still care about how others view them. Outside of their main group of people they hang around or consider themselves to be apart of, they might not care about how others view them, but within the group of people they hang around, they care.

Greedyspree likes this.
  6. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    While 'face' isn't common, public 'face' / image or reputation are common enough afaik.

While it's not super obvious without context, you don't need to be some xianxia geek to know what 'face' means.

runsing likes this.
  7. xalienxgamerx

xalienxgamerx Mmm friend...

Reading List:
    Link
    The term "face" is also used in the U.S just not very often.

runsing and Astaroth like this.
  8. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The concept of face has existed in English for over a century now (originating from China). Saving face and losing face are very common expressions and easily understood by most people. It's mostly just giving face that's more unusual.

The reason it starts to sound awkward when you read a lot of Chinese novels is because you're seeing it so frequently, it becomes a case of semantic satiation. It starts to sound strange or meaningless because it's overused (from the perspective of a non-Chinese person where it's not an everyday concern). You just need to get used to the cultural differences.

Astaroth likes this.
  9. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    i like 'face' better. to change it is too much of a chore. like "Why don't you give me some face", what should the implied 'face' there be changed to?

10. Greedyspree

Greedyspree 『Exile within the back room』

Reading List:
    Link
    Ive seen and met many who are otherwise...especially with the newer generations. I will admit many care, however they show it less and less.

11. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah. Some things, that are cultural concepts, need to be given their own identity when being translated. Respect isn't correct, via a western understanding, because you can respect someones opinion while fiercely arguing with it in public. Honor sure as shit isn't even close. It's like Ren's old post about "Ninja" that he would have translated as "Rogue" or "Thief" back in the day. They have similarities, but they are inherently not the same. Since it's a concept that does not exist in translation, a literal translation with an explanation is best.

runsing likes this.
  12. Stormingtiger101

Stormingtiger101 Procrastinator ○

Reading List:
    Link
    Face is fine, while it may be an uncommom term, it is not a foreign term that no one gets.

13. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem isn't the word face. The problem is the overuse of it in CNs

Stormingtiger101 likes this.
  14. knowngni

knowngni Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I'm thinking face isn't something that needs to be translate over. It's already there, just the only time we use that term anyways is in "saving face". The other alternatives you have are "public image" and reputation.

15. Viken

Viken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Face is FACE!!!

Okay, so maybe not so much. Still, the whole point about 'face' is that it isn't just about respect. It also includes reputation, prestige, and honor. A man with a great face would naturally be more entitled to lead or make suggestions to a group then someone without any face at all. Thus the loss of face is a very bad thing, especially when done in a public venue.

16. Eternal Liar

Eternal Liar [Forever Alone Sect Founder]

Reading List:
    Link
    Dealing with my family is already politics, so no thanks.

Greedyspree likes this.
  17. Dbokoont

Dbokoont Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know what you mean but I like the word face better in novels.It has a more unique feel that you dont see in other novels that much :D Its only in Chinese novels you see this kinda stuff in

runsing likes this.
  18. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Even if there would be cases where you could replace the word you could not use same replacement everytime as the term has so many meanings in one, replacing it with "honor, reputation or respect" would only work if it was perfectly clear which meaning was intended.
    Not to mention that often the meaning really is the whole bundle leaving no better translation than what we already got.

19. Rice1321

Rice1321 Daoist Curious Fall

Reading List:
    Link
    Giving and receiving face= Relatives fighting for the bill at a family gathering.

20. emry987

emry987 can not think of one just too lazy

Reading List:
    Link
    exactly used it in a group chat and everyone is like :cautious: up with these guys so if there is any new guys to the genre they will be confused and @Sythellri and @Nimroth would it not puplic opinion/view fit in all language or occasions

MatazaRyu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.