Should I upgrade my CPU ?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Mr Pancakes, Jun 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mr Pancakes

Mr Pancakes Well-Known Pancake

Reading List:
    Link
    This is my curent build
    UserBenchmarks: Game 12%, Desk 37%, Work 16%
    CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 - 45.9%
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5450 - 1.5%
    HDD: WD Blue 250GB (2007) - 29.8%
    RAM: Nanya NT4GC64B8HG0NF-CG 1x4GB - 28.3%
    MBD: Dell OptiPlex 790
    Shold I buy an FX 8350 instead?
    This is the build I will have
    Userbenchmark PC Build Comparison
    Baseline Bench: Game 36%, Desk 43%, Work 34%
    CPU: AMD FX-8350 $123
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti $123
    HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2015) $50
    RAM: HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 C10 2x4GB $60
    MBD: MSI 970 GAMING (MS-7693) $88
    Total: $444

So should I by a new mobo and fx 8350 or keep my opitplex 790 mobo and just buy a better CPU?
    I will use the GPU and Ram in both builds with the only difference in the CPU and Mobo
    The main question is should i Buy another intel cpu or fx 835 ( or another amd processor)?
    I will mostly use it for gaming and programs like Autocad, solidworks and some 3d modelling programs

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  2. Miri-Bell

Miri-Bell Semi-crazy Magic Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    The answer to this question is always yes.

3. HondaFit

HondaFit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What you need at minimum is another 4 gigs of RAM. 4gigs ain't enough anymore. My Chrome takes more than 4 gigs all by itself.
    I wouldn't touch AMD with a 10 foot pole. Not their video cards and not their CPU's.

4. Mr Pancakes

Reading List:
    Link
    it's 2* 4 (8) gb of ram and the build will be the same with the only difference in the CPU and Mobo

5. Midnight2630

Midnight2630 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read the title I answer OF COURSE!

6. lordsoul

lordsoul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why do you want 8 cores?
    I would look for a similar priced cpu with 4 cores and higher base clock. Unless you code or render and need cores.

7. gheist1234

gheist1234 |Path Finder| 『WuxiaWworld Vet.』|Beardy| |Zen|

Reading List:
    Link
    yes you should upgrade your build.

8. Vaan_Unity

Vaan_Unity Member

Reading List:
    Link
    JUST DO IT!!!

9. Mr Pancakes

Reading List:
    Link
    Does 3d modeling and working in Autocand and solidworks count as rendering? Also I don't know if there are better options for this Mobo

10. iijm

iijm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your mobo can run a 2500/2600, those used to be awesome back in the days, I used to run with them. Not sure if you can use the K version and overclock them on this mobo though. If you can't find them for cheap I'd just go with a new mobo and a brand mid priced new intel tbh.

One thing that's really a big speed boost nowadays is a SSD instead of a HDD, you should think about that.

And also yeah stay away from AMD cpus.

11. tearteto

tearteto Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: MSI - H110M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($41.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Patriot - 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($54.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.44 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $375.39
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-05 17:14 EDT-0400

intel have got nicer upgrade paths atm; FX is a bit too outdated in terms of future flexibility. could even go up to I5 if you stretched a wee bit.

Mr Pancakes likes this.
  12. Nbhan101

Nbhan101 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The answer depends on you if you are financially well off or you need a faster CPU for your work which is extremely important than gladly
    you can upgrade(your choice).However, if it not important and you are not financially well off, i would recommend you not to do it (again your choice.

13. Mr Pancakes

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the things I can get for free so it will probably cost me around 150-200€ so I can afford it (the build i mentioned) but I wasnt sure if I should buy a new Mobo and an AMD CPU ( fx 8350) or should I stick to Intel

14. Silvier

Silvier Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am ashamed to say that I ran the benchmark and found I'd been running with my xmp disabled for far longer than I'd care to admit. So thanks for that I guess.

15. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What's your budget?
    It's better to not go with FX CPU's. You can if you want to, but amd released new ones a few months ago (though I haven't researched much about them). From what I remember some of them are quite cheap, but no idea how good they are. Their flagship cpu was good though.

If you need more processing power try to go with an i5. Not quite sure of the prices anymore, but if you don't go with the "k" cpus that are unlocked and can be overclocked, then you can save some money and buy a cheap motherboard. So it would be better to buy something like an i5-4460 or i5 7400, though they cost around $170 new.

What I would do if I were you is buy an ssd instead of a hard drive and for now use the one you have right now as a backup drive.

For gpu, don't buy the new ones that cost like 70 bucks. They aren't worth the money, so going with a 1050ti is a good choice.

And keep in mind how much power your system will need in case you need to buy a new power supply.

16. Evlive

Evlive Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since he has 444$, change the cpu to i5-6400. Total cost should be 443$. If you can save a little, you can get ryzen for better productivity. Also, don't listen to those that are suggesting to stay away from AMD. They obviously don't know what they are talking about, this year AMD released their new architecture called Zen with performance about Broadwell (Generation before Skylake), more cores, and cheaper price.

Note: Deleted the pcpartlink cause I don't have more than 10 posts.

17. ggford

ggford Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Repost your question in reddit /r/buildapc as they help quite a few people and are up to date.
    I would recommend getting a different cpu as that one is 5 years old and not considered good at the time, look for amd rysen or intel celron, pentium or i3 of this generation.
    I would also recommend for a gpu the amd rx 560 or 570 as it is much better in preformance for about the same cost.
    Also check to see if your psu is any good as dell psu's are not made to take different motherboards and components as there are normally no spare wires or slack on the existing ones, the best decent psu i know about is the evga 500w or 600w psu. If you do cheap out on a psu it can kill the whole system (search for psu tierlist for more info).
    I would also recommend looking at a small ssd as having one for the boot drive/ os is great for loading and preformance, look for a 256gb one (preferably a samsung 850 or 950 evo) as this allows for expansion, although not much.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  18. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    For 444$ you can do better.

I would pay a bit more and get at least a Ryzen 5 1400

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-1400-vs-AMD-FX-8350/3922vs1489

I would also spend a bit more and get something like an RX480 (I got mine for 130$ on a deal, you can get one for 150$ pretty easy if you look around)
    http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-480/3649vs3634

You can save about 5$ on the ram, and I would go for a cheaper motherboard at half the price. As long as it is reputable brand and reviews on it is good. A lot of people overpay for motherboards and don't even use 99% of the features they paid for.

Mr Pancakes likes this.
  19. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, from what I read, Ryzen CPUs are on par with Kaby Lake (which is currently Intel's latest series), with slightly better multi-core performance. That said though, it still runs a wee bit hotter and conserve less energy than their Intel counterparts. But it is cheaper, and if you're going to use it for professional endeavors, you might not care that much about energy consumption. Now, I don't use AutoCAD (or any other CAD softwares really), but I heard it actually favors high clock speed rather than the number of cores. So I'd get a 2-4 core processor with a very high clock speed (2.8GHz upwards). Ryzen's multicore performance doesn't mean much here, unfortunately.

20. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    His budget is within 4 cores anyways. So not sure why the discussion about cores. In terms of price range, a Ryzen 1400 is 20$ cheaper than the i5-6400 while only having 6.5% less single core performance, but 27% more multi-core performance.

You could also go for a Ryzen 1500X which is same price as a i5-6400, but has both higher single and multi-core performance.

Though one thing I will note on the topic of single core vs multi-core performance. A lot of benchmarks unfortunately don't look at real life usage. They look at single application usage. Since most apps are not optimized beyond 2/4 multiple cores, a lot of benchmarks like to favor single core performance.

But that is not the actual reality. Because it is not like you are just playing your game and nothing else. More than likely you have a web browser open in the background, antivirus running on your system, teamspeak/ventrillo in the background along side other apps.

You know that feeling when one app eats up all your processor and the entire system starts crawling? This is why it is important to look at ratios between the two performances.

But in this case you are looking at 4 cores vs 4 cores. Only difference is Ryzen has multithreading while the intel one doesn't

21. TooLazyToThink

TooLazyToThink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean you system unit?

You definitely need to upgrade.