Should I upgrade my CPU ?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Mr Pancakes, Jun 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mr Pancakes

Mr Pancakes Well-Known Pancake

Reading List:
    Link
    I know I have to upgrade but my main question is sould I upgrade to AMD cpu and mobo or Intel cpu and mobo

2. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True, I'm just stating that Ryzen's multi-core advantage is wasted, since the OP specifically asked for AutoCAD. CAD softwares tend to favor higher clock speed than more cores. And since his other purpose is gaming, It might not be clear from my precious post, but I suggested that he goes with whichever one has higher clock speed. If it happens to be Ryzen, then go for the Ryzen. As for the cores, 2-4 cores would be enough. No need to go for 6 or 8 cores.

Mr Pancakes likes this.
  3. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont think its a good idea to use that AMD 8350 for your 3d design work and gaming. AMD FX 8350 "safe temp" is under 62*C and will start throttle at 70*C. Your line of work put a lot strain to your computer.

4. Mr Pancakes

Mr Pancakes Well-Known Pancake

Reading List:
    Link
    Should I go with a ryzen maybe?

5. Needhydra

Needhydra Everything is on Fire

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok i also do work in maya zbrush 3d max. and alot of this stuff applies to soildworks autocad ect. basically it boils down to you want the fastest intel cpu possible/affordable for 3d modeling so get at least a i5 that can be overclocked. now if you are doing rendering or simulations then a higher core count will help a lot but fastest clock speeds still helps.

TLDR
    Making models - fastest mainstream intel cpu
    Rendering(making things pretty)/physics simulations - ryzen or if you money out your ass the high end intel that costs like 1k+ a cpu

some links
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SOLIDWORKS-2017-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-1800X-Performance-908/

6. Needhydra

Reading List:
    Link
    ah i should also mention that autodesk products tends to be heavily optimized for intel nivida due to amd being lack luster for a while.
    also you dont need a quadro unless you have massive issues with crashing then a quadro may help as quadros tend to be slower but more stable then the consumer gpus.

and yes gpus will effect help in performance. now if you are doing gpu renders which are like 1/100 the time of cpu renders having a good gpu helps alot. there is also a huge shift to compute gpu so if you know any software you are using is using it a good gpu will help.

a cpu that has a gpu on board tends to help in certain situations and certain features.

Mr Pancakes likes this.
  7. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure where you are getting this from...

For GPU if you look at benchmarks:
    http://cdn.overclock.net/b/be/be57ad7c_52-Cadalyst-3D.png

The difference between Nvidia and AMD is only 3%. (though MSRP NVidia one cost 100$ more)

As far as CPU goes, as mentioned it depends a lot on single core performance. The only reason why Intel had better scores was previous AMD cpus had low IPC. With Ryzen, the gap has shrunk by a lot, so the difference is little, especially in the low end.

8. Needhydra

Reading List:
    Link
    TLDR
    To make things look pretty, many companies support Nvida tech that amd has no support for. Also integrated graphics and faster base clock beats core count for roughly the same price.

The long answer
    For cpus having a i3 is not an option as that tends to be below min spec. for about $240 you can get a 6 core ryzen or a higher base clocked i5 both over clock-able. and the i5 has an integrated gpu which supports some really random non-graphics related tech that can be helpful.

Where i am getting this notion, that you should go Nvidia, from? It is because i been using theses tools for a while now.
    Have you heard of something called iray? It is Nvidia tech and it pops up a lot. IF more programs supported Prorender (amd's iray equivalent) i would not be saying go Nvidia. Cuda also tends to pop up.

This is not about AMD vs Nvidia on price to performance, amd wins on that but on supported tech Nvidia wins out. You can photshop basic textures. If you want to do some more advance things like PBR and HDR texturing, most programs that support those workflows have Nvidia tech in them. Its not that AMD hardware is not supported(sometimes it is just not supported) its just that there is a lot of support for Nvida tech that AMD does not support.

EDIT: Certain cards from both AMD and Nvida just crap out on certain programs

9. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Considering his budget range, it is 4 core only. When considering low end cores, Ryzen has a higher IPC vs the Intel ones and would have better results.

There are apps that favor Nvidia, I don't disagree. But not out of the ones he needs though. Autodesk is a large brand in the workspace and supports both Nvidia and AMD. And as shown by benchmarks, AMD benches pretty well.

Autodesk also supports Prorender, so does Solidworks

10. Needhydra

Reading List:
    Link
    I highly doubt that he would only be using only the mentioned programs. Also benches are not real world yes auto desk has pretty good equal support, it just depends on you workflow and atm there is less support amd work flows. Picking hardware just because of benchmarks of 1 software is a bad idea. You also wont find benchmarks for low end hardware. From experience my last gen low power i5 in my laptop keeps up with my couple year old(3-4) intel 6 core workstation and does better in certain areas. So i know a i5 is a safe bet ryzen is still pretty new and i don't expect everything to take full advantage of ryzen because it was such a big leap from AMD older products.

Support is built at the high end, the low end inherits it.

yes i have used intel with amd gpus before and i still prefer my lower power latop then a i7 with a amd gpu

11. Needhydra

Reading List:
    Link
    well we can go on about this forever but i am not going to recommend hardware that i have not used for 3d modeling and the 3d modeling community has not said its great at large.