Should Qidian International releases be displayed on NU?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Ai chan, Mar 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    I just had a look and I saw almost half of the releases on NU main page being from Qidian International. Over time, as more translations of Chinese novels come from Qidian, we'll end up seeing the whole front page dominated by Qidian International.

Case 1:
    I'm of the opinion that Qidian doesn't need the promotion from NU. Qidian is a large company and as such can afford to do their own advertisement instead of relying on a free medium like NU. While I can't say I know what @Tony intended, I believe NU was created to give exposure to Asian translated novels. Qidian International DOES NOT need exposure. If Qidian International releases is to be displayed on NU, we will see a day when smaller translation groups just doesn't appear anymore, because for every fan translation release, there will be 10 Qidian release and this is me being optimistic.

As for for-profit translators, they will be forced to overextend themselves and take on more money for promises they can't deliver, just to compete with Qidian. If this is the case, then fan-translation will automatically die, because fan-translation translate on their free time. To compete, fan-translation will also have to request money and this is against the concept of fan-translation in the first place.

Case 2:
    Not exactly related to Qidian International, but perhaps we should start thinking about separating fan-translations and for-profit translations? Fan-translations are people who translate for the love of what they read, and at most only takes coffee donations. For-profit translations are people who translate for money, most don't care about loving the story they translate. For-profit translations mostly take chapterly commissions and have huge honking Patreon campaigns, despite it being against the rules of Patreon.

This will reduce the argument about translators making money out of stuff they have no right to make money over and return the reputation of fan-translators and the word 'donation' that was tainted by for-profit translations. It will also make things nice and clean and empower fan translators, emphasizing love for the material instead of translating for profit.

EDIT: By separating fan-translation and for-profit translation, I don't mean remove for-profit translation. I meant put it on separate tabs and allow groups to label themselves either fan-translation or for-profit translation. This means in the future we will have tabs that say:
    | Fan Translation | For-Profit Translation | Original Stories |

Gonna call @Yukkuri Oniisan for his input.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    arashi-chan12 likes this.
  2. dezzter

dezzter The one who knows

Reading List:
    Link
    It think it will end up depending on if they put up a pay wall like Qidan China.

3. Iramohs

Iramohs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I(and I'm sure there are a lot of others) would only use NU to keep track of their favorite novels. If they don't show up on this site, then I simply won't read them.

ChaoStaxx likes this.
  4. dahi_walla

dahi_walla Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you should release because it is easy to maintain the chapter i have already read and it helps to remember the chapter which i was on before i started stacking chapters and there is no such feature on qidian
    chapter management on NU is easy

5. WeiFish

WeiFish Eccentric Grey Sword 『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think it'll reach that point, it would be a pain for the readers and people who frequent NU if what you've proposed were to be carried out.
    As for Case 2, I don't see the point, those people complain because they want to complain, even if that plan were to be executed, they'd still find something to complain about.

6. Robofs740

Robofs740 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure the TL for Galactic Dark Net joined them.

7. tkhendrix22

tkhendrix22 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It could also end up dangerous for NU. For example while i like the story of the great thief, i don't get how it has not been hit for plagiarism.

8. Hunta

Hunta shameless

Reading List:
    Link
    I still wanna give them some love.

Same I give love by leeching other translation.

9. DCLXVII

DCLXVII 『Team Deathmatch』『Desu_Tronic』『RMJI True Fan #1』

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel Updates - Directory of Asian Translated Novels

Directory contains everything :)

Do you realise that what you are talking about is completely wrong ?
    According to you half the people who will agree to your idea that fan translators and for-profit translation should be separated will come crying injustice to you if RWX's Desolate Era, Deathblade's ISSTH and YWL's MGA are separated or put in different groups.
    And they all have huge patreon campaign which is illegal according to you.

In the end it's all about favoritism (n)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  10. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    How to make it fair: Qidian advertises NU on their website, but that is highly unlikely.

Ai chan likes this.
  11. Dusk

Dusk Monochrome

Reading List:
    Link
    For now, their contents are free for everyone to read. Not having their releases approved on NU will seem like NU is playing favoritism or something like that ( which is very contradictory to NU's policy of taking sides. )

And the reason why their releases seemed like a lot rn is because they released at the same time with lots of stocked up. Maybe in the future NU can make a direct page for groups that releases a certain amount of chapters everyday if it goes out of hand, but if Qidian keeps their contents free, not approving them is a No..I think.

OneHitMultiKill and namia91 like this.
  12. gokusan

gokusan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you dont like it, you should just adjust your list settings to hide it. Some people might actually want to see the releases.

13. intelanands

intelanands Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I and many other people use NU to keep a track of the novels that we are reading. Removing qidian's series and and other series from NU would not be a good idea. That is the basic idea why it was created.

Instead what you could ask for is a feature to "Not show a certain group's releases on the front page".

namia91, Blitz, chekanalia and 2 others like this.
  14. sidtz

sidtz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's fine as long as it doesn't have a paywall, if it does eventually have one then there should at least be a way to filter it out.

15. Alhana

Alhana Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i'm sure all our opinions are irrelevant. people do what they want to do

16. Aternus

Aternus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NU is in a legal gray area(well not really they are fully legal, but I like this phrase). They only link, not host so they aren't actually doing anything wrong though requests may be made to remove links, I'm not too sure if they have to listen to them. Tons of sites like NU exist for games, movies etc.

17. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh? What's it plagiarising? First time I'm hearing of it

18. Aizael

Aizael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NU is a place where readers can get an update on the novels that they're reading. So Qidian posting new chapters on NU is reasonable. I do think they should do something like posting c10-20 instead of posting each chapter individually though and taking up so much space on the page

runsing likes this.
  19. Rexdaevid

Rexdaevid Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Right NU is a directory and it caters to various Asian Novels, remember we don't just see Chinese novels in NU. I believe Qidian is only for Chinese authors.

namia91 likes this.
  20. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    How do you adjust the list so that qidian internation doesn't show up on the front page? I can only see genre and tags filtering.

zentetsuken likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.