Software vs hardware

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by ZhaWarudo, Sep 21, 2017.

1. erowarrior

erowarrior Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well adobe was always perfectionism and that why they always use a lot of space for the best outcome.

If you don't like it you can use other software there are a lot of them that takes around 50-100 mb but don't say anything about why they don't have this thing…

2. SpiralGust

SpiralGust Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The software keeps needing higher and higher quality or modern hardware but the hardware can't keep up

3. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    Any receipt in my country now, I don't have SSD.

4. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    By receipt you mean the cash register receipt? Or some other receipt.

Get an SSD. It could be a cheap one, it could just cover the OS only. But SSD is the BIGGEST upgrade you can do for a PC.

HDD performance has been stale for like 20 years.

ZhaWarudo likes this.
  5. Yipie

Yipie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mostly serious answer - cause programmers suck... A lot, and so do sales people who don't understand marketing.

Programmers used to have to be good (there are still some good ones out there). They wrote in code that was close to machine and made things as efficient as possible. (People didn't have money to throw at computers to add more ram.)

Now... There are multiple languages in-between the programmer and machine language, and the conversions are not efficient, and programmers can just spew code and it'll probably work, and if not you can throw more memory at it and say it will then.

Not as serious answer - your computers are spying in you, and running crypto-currency mining in the background.

6. raven

raven What to type?

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not software need hardware but quite the opposite. As your system has different hardware components they need a medium to communicate with each other this medium is the so called "software" and I think most of the people are confusing the applications that run on this "Software" while utilizing the "hardware".

7. ZhaWarudo

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, even people without cash registers like at the market have to do these e-receipts now. Anything you buy, a product or a service needs this receipt.

8. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep,get an ssd for your 2000$ pc. How in the world something of that price don't have ssd? Are you referring to dollars or other currency?

9. ZhaWarudo

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes dollars but the pc's here are almost double the price than in murica,it's my brother's old pc, he has a better one now lol, they were quite expensive and he is trying to download the internet so... srsly he has ~10 500GB-2TB HDD's (he has a docking unit) before that he had like a thousand cd's and dvd's he burned with games, hentai, novels, movies, anime...

10. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    One of the big problem of a lot of software nowadays is that they have been patched and upgraded for years but never been built again from scratch.
    In a lot a software nowadays there are blobs of code that had been made years ago and that everybody in the company had forgotten, that nobody want to change or that they don't know it exist because they only bought the soft from the previous company, because they don't have the time to carefull examine ten of thousands of old code lines, are on a tight budget, or don't any motivation to risk breaking everything or blocking previous version compatibility upgrade (why the hassle ? If it work as it is then it's fine, if it's not completly broken then it's a feature, etc...).

ZhaWarudo likes this.
  11. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    I will disagree here. Back in the day, programming was hacky at best, if you look at most codes you would throw up. Just because many people did not know programming did not mean they were good programmers.

These days we have things like specifications and workflows for building of code to insure optimum efficiency. Programming is more efficient than it ever was.

Sure there are a bunch of amateur programmer using terrible looking code. But for most software you use, it is written under guidelines.

The reason why software isn't as efficient is simply because you want backwards compatibility. If you can get rid of all old processors and use only one new processor and code only for that, then you would be set. Instead you have to use either old code or libraries to insure backwards compatibility across all code.

They are sending data vie telephone line or internet which is then processed via a transaction queue. It is a slow process on purpose as you are dealing with processing money from gateway to processor to your provider. Last thing you want is a money duplication cheat in real life.

ZhaWarudo likes this.
  12. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    He wanted to dload 'the internet'. *chuckle

13. FranckOA

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah if you have 10 or so old decent sized HDD that aren't empty on a system installed quite some time ago you will definitively have perfomances issues...
    Do yourself a favor and at least buy a cheap 60~120Gb SDD, do a fresh install of your OS and important programs on it and then you'll thank me and the somehow dusty keyboard I used to type this advice :blob_sunglasses:

14. ZhaWarudo

Reading List:
    Link
    No, that's on his pc and he has a docking unit, meaning he has a main HDD and uses others like usb's.

15. Phantom Starlight

Phantom Starlight The Guiding Light

Reading List:
    Link
    For about a decade now the only thing I've used IE for is to download other web browsers

fireclaws, LaDyViL and ZhaWarudo like this.
  16. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    .....that and to access govt official websites.

They always say this: "For best performance, use IE" or the likes....

17. FranckOA

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah but if his brother left auto-indexing, never defraged his data disks and the system install is old, with a clutered register from previous sloppy installs and desinstalls, and was used to access some website with h.. "informative content" or hacked/shareware stuff rigged with hidden shovelware and spyware...
    Better go with the good old schorched earth policy here.

18. ZhaWarudo

Reading List:
    Link
    It's my brother XD, he defrags a lot, kinda obssesed with cleaning too. Though I didn't defrag since I got it, I forgot about that stuff XD

19. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to know why SSD makes such a huge difference, let me give you a small breakdown.

[​IMG]

Initially, you start out with SEQ scans as your data is laid down flat so difference is only about 2X. As your HDD gets fragmented, seq scans become rarer and does 512k and 4k become more common, at that point you now have a difference of 10-100X.

The reason is due to Access times. HDD access time is 10-20ms around while SSD access time is 0.1ms and below. That means every time you access a new block, you have to pay that access time.

20. FranckOA

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry didn't see you were OP...:blobpats: