Question [Solved] Need help on translating a character profile

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by nacochip, Mar 27, 2017.

1. nacochip

nacochip Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The excerpt here its part of a character profile page for a character named Ye Lian. I'd post the entire picture but new member limitations lol...

Having some trouble making it out, would be grateful if someone could help out.

"个人宣言: 我...我是叶恋,我位呆萌带...带盐"

In english it looks like it'd be: "Character declaration: I'm...I'm Ye Lian, (some nonsense)"

I think 呆萌带 looks like a character's name because on its own, it doesn't make any sense at all. But I've looked at some of the future pages of the raws I'm reading and I cant find any mention of such a name.

带盐 looks like a typo and the author probably meant that she's acting as someone's representative.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  2. orensan

orensan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. mayy

mayy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the typo is that 位 should be 为, and then it would be, "I-I'm Ye Lian and I'm the r-representative for cuteness." Something like that.

呆萌 is like being cute.
    带盐 looks like it's "internet slang" (?) for its homophone 代言, which as you already know, means to represent something.

Artorias and nacochip like this.
  4. nacochip

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I see now. I mistakenly attached 带 at the end of 呆萌 thinking it was something else when she was actually just stuttering lol. Looking up 呆萌 I did get something along the lines of cute (internet slang for moe?)

And about the typo that was my bad lol. It should indeed be 为 instead of 位. I typed it out on a different computer and wasn't used to the way the pinyin came out

Thanks for the help!

5. _Selutu_

_Selutu_ 灭世魔尊

Reading List:
    Link
    To be more specific 呆萌 is a specific type of moe. It refers to the type of character that is both moe and a bit 呆 (slow, dull or a bit dumb).

So what the character is saying is:

"I-I am Ye Lian, I en-endorse dull moe."

6. nacochip

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh but isn't that a bit too literal of a TL? And it sounds pretty difficult to rephrase it into something that flows better...