Someone keeps deleting my reviews (possibility of staff abusing power)

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by I Eat Monsanto, Jun 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Eat Monsanto

I Eat Monsanto He who courts death

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't list them, they've been deleted.

Damyabo likes this.
  2. Stormingtiger101

Stormingtiger101 Procrastinator ○

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems very odd. Ratings wise, people either like it a lot or hate it a lot. So it does seem very odd that there are no negative reviews about it.

However, I find it very doubtful that the NU moderators are taking down negative reviews, that follow all of the guidelines for posting a review. I've been on here a while, and this is the first time I've heard of something like this. Not to mention it doesn't seem to be something they would do. Is it possible? Sure. However, I would like to see more PROOF, then just one series with no solid evidence to help make a better judgment.

Fr0stb1te and Loriel like this.
  3. frenzy85

frenzy85 Not Well-Known Yet

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, here's something to be said.

It's very easy to go down the rabbit trap of breaking guidelines when writing negative reviews.
    If you haven't written one before, trust me... It's really easy to go off track when being negative.

On the other hand, when writing a positive review, you're far less likely to break the rules.
    You're probably not compelled to pick out examples to justify yourself, for example.

So I think it's not weird that negative reviews get deleted more often than positive ones.

Fr0stb1te, Loriel, runsing and 2 others like this.
  4. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay then...

Anyways, if you fix your review, it'll get approved. Instead of accusing NU of abusing their powers, you should really re-read this: http://www.novelupdates.com/review-guidelines/

Loriel, Cryarc, Alyuna and 7 others like this.
  5. JinVodka

JinVodka 「Back to Work Back to Suffering _(-ω-`_)⌒)_」

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Which "review" is he replying to?

That's not really replying to other reviews and you can report all reviews on the review page via the 'Report' button.

7. JerryHatrick

JerryHatrick Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    and
    Seem somewhat conflicting. What we are reading are translations, not the original. What we read will be influenced by the translator's experience, knowledge and interpretation. The only two translator's I remember where they've both translated the same novel with a huge disparity in quality would be SkyTheWood and Dogeza with that mech story I can't seem to remember the name of. I've had some of my reviews with such comments be pulled and others not. I never checked whether it was only negative reviews pulled. So if we think the translation quality is affecting how much we enjoy the story then surely we can talk about the quality of the translation? I'm interested in hearing someone in authority's point of view.

8. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since no one else pursued this, what have we ever done to ever suggest we would bend to the will of another group? NU (the forum is considered separate from the main site) has always been neutral. In the various drama's we had over time, such as XXW, WW v. GT, WW v. Qidian, have we ever censored or blocked one side or the other? NO, we didn't.

Sure, half of you were joking about a Qidian conspiracy but there are doubtlessly some (ugh, need to watch my language) "very-gullible" individuals who would actually consider that possibility and believe it, in addition to the trolls who would try to spread that bullshit.

Also thanks for the lack of support guys. Eating popcorn on the side is great, but how hard is it to say, "hey, why would NU do that, or hey, the staff here wouldn't do that."

I don't necessarily agree with @Tony on all his decisions, but I trust him not to take sides and engage in power abuse on NU. It's frankly insulting that my fellow staff members and I can even be considered to be participating in abuse. We give up our time to maintain NU so that you don't have to spend 2 mins actually checking the translator's site. You are effing welcome.

Does Tony remove or unapprove certain reviews? Yeah. But that is only when they break a rule. To the people talking about the differences between the number of ratings and reviews, you realize most people don't write a review, right? There are people who just go around 1-starring stuff for the fun of it, and others who don't bother writing a review.

P.S I am somewhat pissed right now. maybe more so than this thread necessarily required, but after seeing people question NU's integrity on multiple threads, I kind of lost my patience.
    P.P.S removing reviews made just cause of this Qidian v. WW mess is a perfectly normal thing to do. IF all the review said was, "DIE QIDIAN BELIEVERS, DIE", then ofc we're gonna delete it. why the f--- would we let that type of moronic ranting taint our already somewhat skewed rating/review system?
    P.P.P.S @SemperAmbroscusOdium In the future, I hope you will take the time to actually PM a mod, before throwing wild accusations at us publicly in a thread like this. And yes, you threw accusations at us.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Fr0stb1te, Loriel, MrSplashy and 13 others like this.
  9. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    And then the translator gets better because he improved his knowledge of the language and your review doesn't make sense.

Or, a new translator picks it up and re-translates it from the start, so your entire point is moot, but you hated the novel so much that you dropped it and never saw it again to see that the new translator made a better work on it.

Reviews on translation are troublesome because translators drop novels, pick up novels, improve their quality, and they are not the authors of the work.

Aiiee and runsing like this.
  10. JerryHatrick

Reading List:
    Link
    Reviews are time-stamped.
    As long as the translator was named in the review then people could see it's a different translator.
    I have dropped a few stories due to translation quality or because the translator is only summarizing the story but I check up on them every few months. I believe anyone who honestly thought they could enjoy the story but didn't due to the translator/translation quality would.

If it's true that the main reason behind this stance is because, 'it's troublesome', then I'll accept that. You forgot to mention that translators seeing negative comments on their translation could influence how motivated they are to translate the story.

11. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Not everyone pays attention to those things though.
    What if the translator isn't named?
    You're working with assumptions that people are dedicated enough to novels they already dropped... It's not a wise course of action.
    I didn't mention it because I don't think most would care, not to mention most translators probably don't even know NU exists.

But yeah, it's also another reason to not allow reviews about translation.

12. JerryHatrick

Reading List:
    Link
    I suppose that average joe doesn't respond to defend NU because it's obvious to us. I think if anything like that were going on it'd be more obvious no matter how the manipulations were hidden or how subtle they tried to be about it.

What reading this thread has me believe, correct me if I'm wrong, is that Tony is the main person in charge of managing reviews but that he's not the only one moderating them and that reviews once deleted by a moderator are permanently deleted and unrecoverable. So part of the problem could be each moderator's personal interpretation of the rules. I won't even try to guess how many reviews are made daily nor how many end up deleted but I feel like the best solution to this would be having the reviews separated for a few months, so that when NU gets questioned they can quote the review and explain why it was removed.

13. Xiongace101

Xiongace101 Monkey

Reading List:
    Link
    @Tony how bout u make an extra notification for whenever some1 makes/edits deletes a review that it gets sent back 2 the reviewee(?) and the edittor/deletor of the review that way the person can keep track of whats happening 2 the reviews ._.

14. Haevrus

Haevrus No.1 Incognito Webuser

Reading List:
    Link
    The flames are hot here.

LaDyViL likes this.
  15. JerryHatrick

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah. Assumptions.
    You've reminded me that the reviews are pointless. Only an outlet for emotions the story evoke.
    Back to using NU as a bookmark.

16. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure on it, but IIRC Tony reads all reviews on NU and only he has the right to approve them.

I don't know if other mods have the power to delete reviews though.
    Well, reviews have use for some... Personally speaking, they're useless for me, I never check reviews, I only check the synopsis of the novel.

But well, some people use them, so they matter for some... And since they matter for some, they can mislead some, hence why the guidelines exist.

17. JerryHatrick

Reading List:
    Link
    I skimmed the thread and couldn't find what gave me impression there were more people than just Tony managing the reviews.
    I want to keep suggesting some kind of improvement about how deleted reviews are handled but I just can't bring myself to care anymore.
    The reviews are pointless. Just because they follow the guidelines or because some people make use of them doesn't make them any less pointless. I stand by considering them an outlet for emotions. Their review is always going to be biased. Which is why I believe people get so worked up when their reviews are deleted. "I HATE this story! I want EVERYONE to know WHY I hate it! Everyone else should hate it, too! My review being deleted is some kind of CONSPIRACY." The opposite for the lovers.
    Rather than letting some emotional joes and their varying levels of eloquence influence your opinion it is much better to read the story and make your own.
    You reminded me of this. Which is why I thank you.

18. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    (y)

congratulations on your enlightment. you are one step closer to immortality path.

btw, editing the reviews will return it to approval queue. everything in approval queue are hidden from normal users. hence sometime ppl get the impression of review being deleted.

one more thing ppl seems to forget, is the existence of report button. ppl seems to give too much credence on their own review. multiple likes doesn't mean your review is the best, it is just that several ppl share your thoughts. and for those who don't, they might hit the report button. because reports are taken more seriously than likes, the review will have higher probability to be removed (from view). couple that with reasoning of 'why this review is a troll' pointed out by the reporters, then.. >.>

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Fr0stb1te, MrSplashy, Cryarc and 3 others like this.
  19. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's plenty of 1 star review. NU has never deleted a review simply because they are giving low score.

Review that only have 'this novel suck." Won't get approved tho

AliceShiki, Cryarc and Aiiee like this.
  20. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Count the/your reviews. If the total number does not match, there might be reviews pending due to editing. If the review is pending, it won't show up eventhough it was listed in total reviews. Thus the disappearing act. I forgot what it's about but something like that... @Tony.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.