[Story Idea | Discussion] No Title yet~

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Viken, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Viken

Viken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Working description:

Nine Realms. Unlimited worlds.

A man who had everything. Talent, skill, inheretence and bloodline.
    A man who's name shook the heavens and scared the earth.
    A man who grasped destiny.

Then he lost it all.
    His family in ruins. His sect destroyed. His beloved dead before his eyes.
    From an Immortal cultivator with the chance to grasp at godhood, he fell.
    To become the greatest Devil the Nine Realms had ever known.

A million years, ten million, hundreds of millions of years.
    The man who became a Devil finally exacted his revenge.
    Thousands of worlds destroyed, millions of billions of lives lost.
    He cast his cultivation away to become mortal once more.

But Fate is a cruel temptress, and is not done playing its games.
    The man who became a Devil once more must start from the beginning.
    A man, an Immortal, a Devil.
    A man who must become a God.

Discussion:

Hi guys! I've been reading a lot of Xianxia. I've sampled just about everything, and the vast majority of my reading list consists of them. But I've noticed the trend that most of you all have as well.

The protagonist starts out as weak. Names like 'waste' and 'garbage' are tossed his way. His talent is no good, and his physique tends to be bad. He's mocked and looked down upon. Then the protag receives a cheat that changes his fortune. He's reborn, and shocks the world he lives in.

That tends to be the way things work, and while standard it can be used for good storytelling. But I kept thinking about something else. What would happen if the protag started out as a genius? A rising star that the younger generation looked up to while the older generation feared? A man who had everything, only to lose it?

Normally such a story would become a time-travel or reincarnation story. However I think it can be used differently. Revenge is a something that doesn't require a restart. It only requires a chance. In this case a switch from cultivating as an immortal to that of a devil. A pure evil that sweeps across the realms.

Now, I know I've kept things rather vague, but that's what this discussion is about. It's a chance to see who'd be interested in this sort of story idea and what ideas you guys can toss my way. However, the start of the story isn't about his revenge, but about what happens after he succeeds.

A bloody past that weighs on his heart. A chance for redemption as a mortal. A quiet life of solitude and hard work. Until something kickstarts his adventure once more. In a way, you could think of it being similar to Emperor's Domination.

So, what do you guys think? Anyone interested? Got any ideas you can toss my way?

Feel free to discuss!

nielyti likes this.
  2. Unde-kyun

Unde-kyun 【FLOATING】【Rowing a rowboat】

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    It might be good depending upon how it's written. But it won't make for a great/original/particularly interesting story just based off of that plot alone.

4. heads-or-tails

heads-or-tails Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To tell you the truth, it sounded a lot like Desolate Era and I think that Xianxia, Wuxia? have flooded NU can't take it no more

5. Kaiser

Kaiser [Roll Immortal] [Non-German Kaiser]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a new concept and has a lot, and I mean A LOT of potential. I some one picks uses it or, since it's your idea you can wrote a story to encompass this idea.

Edit: this is my opinion not everyones.

nielyti likes this.
  6. Daike1234

Daike1234 THE GUY WHO TRANSLATE WITH THE HELP OF MACHINES

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like i read this before, lol.

It might just me reading a lot of xianxia

7. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    Did he scare the earth or scar it?
    Your story looks like a mash-up of a bunch of cliche, overused plot lines. I recommend focusing on your mc's character. Make him/her feel real. A character driven plot is usually better

8. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No there is a story like this already, with the whole immortal switching to devil path after losing everything. Can't recall the name but I read the synopsis on here I know it.

9. Alchyr

Alchyr Master of Procrastination

Reading List:
    Link
    Consdering the number of novels that exist, I'm sure someone somewhere has used basically every basic concept. So if I were you I'd just focus on making a good story whatever kind of story you're trying to make.

jackateonetoo likes this.
  10. Viken

Viken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Heh. Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm not a translator or anything, I just enjoy reading Xianxia stories. But the usual tropes are starting to grate on my nerves a little, so I wanted to see something different. However, truly original stories are hard to come by, and even this story idea contains plenty of already used thoughts.

That said, I really should have put up a poll to see who all would be interested in reading something like this. Lol.

11. Viken

Viken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, writing an elegant description is not my forte. XD Most of mine tend to run a bit long~

12. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    In a way, it reminds me of Red Country. Though the whole level up super power thing isn't in that novel, so that helps to maintain the human element

13. NaM

NaM 『♔ Re dell'appostarsi』(The GentleMaN)

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like a Combination of Emperor's Domination, Desolate Era, Stellar Transformation and Immortal Executioner

14. chopin124

chopin124 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It could work, but as some people have already said, it's not really about the idea but rather what you do with it. what people have to realise is that 'originality' is difficult. With 7billion people on earth someone's bound to have thought of what you think you've come up with.

Al it then comes down to is filling a niche, going with popular preference or continuing to write without caring of other people's opinions so long as you like the character yourself. (3rd option is better for your health) :p
    I myself don't really read xanxia or wuxia that much and read TDG as a guilty pleasure. (Though Nie Lie pisses me off with his child-like behaviour...)
    I personally read regardless of 'originality' and only stay to continue reading if I find a character to root for.
    Maybe don't info dump his/her past at rhe beginning. Start as an unknown character who dropped off the face of public life and slowly reveal his/her past .

TL:DR

No info dumping :p

Teivel likes this.
  15. Tyrfringr

Tyrfringr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It kinda reminds me of dragon marked war god but i don't know about the whole successful revenge i feel he would be to burnt and would need a reason like his lover was reborn as a god for it to be proper motivation or at least something on that level

16. Teivel

Teivel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thik the potential is there, but you have to bring it out, I don't know how to do it right, but I do know how to do it wrong:
    1. Stay true to the motif, if the protagonist wants revenge, then get him the revenge, and end it there, no more, that's the story, if he has to change, then change him, again and again until he reaches "perfection", then end it.
      You have to know when to stop, gambling is fun if you bet, once you take out the bet it becomes boring, he either ends up as a devil, our realizes along the way that that isn't what he wants, once he reaches that, you end it. Now, he can always be like almos about to fall (to either side) and then have an event that changes his mind (betrayal, love, for example), or maybe that event just makes his resolve even stronger.
    2. He has a clear personality, like, maybe he's unpredictable in certain situations, like, he calms down under preassure, or freaks out when it's about money, like when dealing with merchants he's reash, but in fights were he's dying he is fully rational, giving up bodyparts to hit the other guy. He can't react in different way unless there's something more important on his mind.
    3. He can't power up under pressure, I mean, maybe jump to new power levels if he's on the edge before the fight, but nothing like totally new powers, maybe undestanding enemy tecniques <--(no idea how to write that word), or getting better at using the sword, but he can't be like Yue Yang from Long Live Summons and get a new beast when he's about to die.
    4. He can't get on friendly terms with enemies, they can come to a truce, but there still has to be some tension between them.
    5. Comedy is alright in nonstressful situations, but in fights or complex times there has to be none, uless there's a good reason or that's just his personality.
    6. The mood of the story should be stablished beforehand, if you want it to be depressing all the way through then decide before hand and be true to that.
    7. Define mayor events before you start writting, they don't have to be clear, you don't have to know everything, what I mean is that the even could just be "Changes mood" it can not be defined as anything but if it's still important then write it down.

If anyone could read it then thanks for considering it helpful! Or not at all and did it just to relive boredom...

nielyti likes this.
  17. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    Something being different doesn't make it necessarily good. Also, those tropes are often used for a reason. You can use all those already used ideas and still make a great story. Make your character have his/her own personality then navigate him/her through the world you create

nielyti likes this.
  18. Viken

Viken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *Nod nods*

Thanks guys!

The story idea is that he's already gotten his revenge, but afterwards what else is there to live for? Once a peerless genius turned devil (monster), got his revenge and then threw it all away to settle down into a mortals life. How and why he starts back on the path of cultivation is something I'm tossing around in my head at the moment.

Personality wise, you could say that he comes off as deliberately cold. Rather it be the side effects of evil type cultivation or the eons of 'dark karma' from his rampant killing in the past, he's generally solitary and stoic. Heh. I don't like to throw out words like good and evil, cause they simply bring in the idea that everything has to be one way or another.

That said, I'm starting from the ground up here. I literally thought up the idea and scrambled to write down the description that came to mind to see how it looked by sharing it. Lol. I tend to write sci-fi, but this could be rather interesting as well. The cultivation system is going to take a bit to think about though. *Rubs his chin.*

nielyti likes this.
  19. nielyti

nielyti Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I loved this idea and really want to read it. the plot is very interesting but what makes the difference is the way of your writing and plot development. remember it is impossible to please everyone and all the time so it will by what you see in story. This is my optinion. Development the romance is very interesting too. Kkk

20. Viken

Viken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [Teaser, perhaps]

"Remember... Remember Jun Li... You have to be strong." The words were little more than a whisper, a croak with a dry and cracking, yet feminine voice. He couldn't help but hear them though, as the blood covered woman in his arms had grabbed him by the front of his robes to pull his ear to her mouth.

All the same the tears wouldn't stop flowing, and he tightly clenches his eyes shut so as not to be forced to look at her for at least a moment. The words though echo without his mind, causing the hands pressing down on the woman's stomach to shake with each repetition. The woman was not in good condition. Her body was covered in cuts and holes, and even her dantian had been punctured. It continuously leaks out what little qi remains within her body along with her blood.

Finally he opens his eyes and turn his head to look at her after a long moment, the despair clearly visible in his red-rimmed eyes along with the gentle affection he always had whenever he looked at her. His lips open, as if to speak, but no words come out. Her eyes had already glazed over and gone blank, her life faded before he even realized it.

The beast like roar, filled with anguish and sorrow shakes the forest... and then he bolts up straight from the bed. His bare body is covered in cold sweat, his long hair damp and unkept. The night had yet to pass, leaving the room in darkness. But under the moonlight that shines through the single window of the room, one would see the myriad of scars that criss-cross his body in patterns that almost seem hypnotic, even majestic.

His figure is wasted however, nearly stick thin. Little flesh could be discerned, and little muscle can be seen. He doesn't show the grimace of pain that follows sitting up so suddenly though, and instead he releases his clenched fist and raises one hand to rub his face, wiping the sweat away. A deep breath is taken before he mutters to himself.

"After so many years, I still have that dream. Loa Mae..."