Request Student Problem

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ChivalrousNEET, Sep 10, 2017.

1. insyder1201

insyder1201 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mathematics is like cultivation, if your foundation is weak then you won't reach great heights. I suggest you do all of the Khan Academy exercises from basic arithmetic and counting up to the area you are in now. Nail that long division. Get that combinatorics down pat.
    By the time you realise, calculus will be easy and you'll just have problems with your problem solving skills.
    For the problem solving skills, just buy the book Geometry Revisited, by Coxeter. That really builds up your problem solving skills. Don't be discouraged if it takes hours to just answer one question.

2. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    i know what u mean...i didnt like social science back in Secondary School Certificate (ssc) exam and i clearly told mother no matter how much she forced me i will not study it properly....got a B grade in SSC and i was surprised myself...but in regards to math i have nothing to say....its a subject that will find its place in any subject u choose in University...i finished University in Economics and 50%of the 40 courses had maths in it apart from the 2 maths course....trust me its fun if u can get the gist of it....perseverence is what i advise....the only time i hated math was back in 5th grade when calculus was in the curriculum....

ChivalrousNEET likes this.
  3. SquirFail

SquirFail The One Who Forgets, Dreamer, Observer

Reading List:
    Link
    Just tell her you faile an will do better next time.... Really do better than 75 aim for 80+

4. canaan

canaan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    75 its big ya now. in my region passing grade is 60 & above. just tell your mom sorry................................................................. (haaaah student this day)

Sharudeis likes this.
  5. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    72% is an F? What happened to a C-? Anyway, tell her. If you're young enough to get an allowance and for your parents to check your grades, they'll find out eventually and it will be much worse, especially if it's too late to fix. If you're really worried, talk to your teacher about bumping up your grade somehow. If not, tell your mom and show how worried you are. The more worried you are, the likelier she is to go after the school to "fix" your F rather than try and "fix" you. She might even succeed. I've never failed a high school class, but I imagine it would cause problems for college applications. In college you can retake some classes, but high school...?

6. CharLok

CharLok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, you failed? Like final exam fail?
    I don't really understand other countries score system.
    I don't really give a shit about failing anything as long as it's not an important one, like final mocks of just finals.

Other exams are just.... Trials, that don't do much.
    I live in the uk by the way.
    Normally I just don't tell my mum cause I'll just be like, what ever, I'll get the grade I need in the end (which I did by the way, very good grades)
    Also my mums Chinese, she isn't as strict with me as with my sisters, but honestly you weren't far from passing,

you could Just tell her the exam was harder than usual, or that this time was an anomaly and usually wouldn't fail.
    Or that the teacher was being a prick and put content in the exam that you hadn't learned properly yet.
    Or that you revised for the wrong material.
    Or you was unlucky and it had more content on things you were bad at.

Tbh those exams are for you to test what you have learnt, tell her it's a good thing you failed once, so you'll know what to revise for next time.
    People panic over failing mock exams or small tests, but it isn't a bad thing to fail those, it's better to fail them early on and then get it right for the important ones.

LazyLuong likes this.
  7. ChivalrousNEET

ChivalrousNEET -lurker- -sophist- -procrastinator-

Reading List:
    Link
    Its not an F since our school dont grade using letters but 75 is the passing but since i got lower than 75 i failed.

8. ChivalrousNEET

Reading List:
    Link
    Its in the report card which is given every quarter

9. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're from the US like me, usually 60% gets you credits for graduating high school, but I recall colleges required 70% (C-) to count a class as passed. It always stuck in my mind, that the bar rises like that.

10. CharLok

CharLok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, so I guess your mom has to see those?
    Instead of acting guilty, act very annoyed and sad about your maths grade?
    My mum tends to be a little more lenient to me when I either,
    Act very sad and annoyed that I failed a subject before she can say anything
    Or
    Act nonchalant and casual, cause I know what I'm doing and it's okay that I failed a subject since I'll get it right in the end.

Or maybe she just gave up on me.
    Tbh I don't get how your scoring system differs, the scoring system in my whole country is based on the same criterias, there'll be small differences but it'll won't be much different.

11. Ilisle

Ilisle Lord of the Northern Guards

Reading List:
    Link
    Stick it to the end,

Get in class, note the shit the teacher is talking about
    do your homeworks,( if you don't know what the hell is writing then gl)
    have another notebook and recopy the thing you noted in a way you can understand
    Redo your homeworks

or- be good at memorizing....

12. Sharudeis

Sharudeis Semi-narcoleptic

Reading List:
    Link
    Where I'm from 70 is an A grade...and a passing grade is 45 (E) and above. :ROFLMAO:
    Mathematics is all about grasping the fundamentals and a tonne of practice. Once the basics are down, all you need to do is work at your questions and review them on a regular basis.

fuzor100 likes this.
  13. Ignus

Ignus Philosopher of Flames

Reading List:
    Link
    The only subjects that are hard are the ones that include creativity. English, Art, etc...
    For the most part, math is just memorizing formulas.
    The hardest part about algebra is the annoying word problems. That just requires you to think it through after you've memorized the formulas.
    So memorizing the formulas just requires discipline and repetition.

I guess there are some people who actually struggle to understand the meaning/concepts behind math.
    After you memorize the formulas, and still don't understand math, get a nice person in your class to explain it to you. Study sessions, pay for their cafeteria lunch, whatever

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  14. Drakaos

Drakaos Member (Patriarch?) of the Anti-Qidian Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Which math class are you taking? And what grade are you in?
    But seriously, own up to your failure, make sure she understands that that never happens again, and make sure that YOU yourself understand that you are never going to fail again. Because in the end, that math class is way more important than your phone. You aren't gonna die without it, the world isn't going to end if you can't use it. On the other hand, failing in school is going to screw with the rest of your life as you know it. Im in my senior year of high school, and I regret so much of the crap that I did during my prior years in Middle and High School. Take your school work more seriously, and if your parents still want to take your phone, so be it. Who knows, maybe after seeing you work harder in your studies, you might be able to get your phone somewhat sooner than expected.

15. Vudoodude

Vudoodude Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok...when I was in high school fail is below 50%...an honor roll student was 80% and above...even in university 80% and above is enough to get you into post-grad such as masters.

Anyways, I think many people have already emphasized on how important math is, so let me say this...I just wrote the MCATs today and there was an interesting sociology article on it about children and expectations. Basically, the son was getting worse grades, was getting frustrated and took it out on others by acting out. When the guidance counselor explained it to the parents, the parents said that the child got good grades in the previous year and was praised by the parents and teacher for his intelligence. What the guidance counselor explained was that perhaps the expectations of intelligence and praising of intelligence was the wrong way to go about things. Praising a child's intellect may instill upon them an expectation to do well and a fear of failure, a fear that they won't live up to expectations of intelligence. Rather than praising a child for his intelligence, you should praise a child for their effort, because this way they will continue to strive forward even after failing. In the study they referenced, it demonstrated that children praised on intellect would fumble on difficult questions and then continue to get many questions wrong whereas those praised for effort would continue to attempt the questions and will eventually get things right.

So the moral of the story is, children should be praised and motivated for effort not intelligence. One thing I learned is that the ones that do well in university and at work aren't those that are smart but those that make effort. And if all else fails, it's a good story to tell your parents, saying you shouldn't be punished for doing poorly in math because it'll only generate a dislike for the subject and a fear of failure.

16. ChivalrousNEET

Reading List:
    Link
    Not realy. English,Arts,Filipino are one of the few subjects where i can actualy get an above average grade.
    I understand the importance of math. What im saying is that the effort that im putting into math is not enough and if I focus too much on math my other subjects may suffer

17. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is very good advice. I've seen people use that method.
    The most immediate effect is that it cuts the anger/negative reactions to the bad news by half.

.... that would just make her more mad though?

--------
    Dunno why exactly everyone's saying what the failing grade for their schools would be, but I'll add anyway.
    My high school had anything below 60% as a fail, but anything below 70% was not accepted by colleges.
    And then I set my own definition of failure as anything below 80%.... did well in highschool, was too poor to go straight to university, and did shitty in community college...
    university doesn't look at highschool grades if you've gone to community college.... what was the point of all of that effort....
    [​IMG]

Ignus and ChivalrousNEET like this.
  18. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    A 72 is a fail?

Am I the only one who didn't go to a prep school with high pass/fail line?

A 72 should be a whoops, better shape up for the next test. Not a failing grade.

If that demarcation is a line set by your parents... Then I feel bad for you man.

Best way to solve this though... don't wait for her to see your mark on her own. It will make it seem like you were trying to hide it which will likely piss get off more.

Be upfront.
    I missed the line by 3 marks.
    I know exactly what I got wrong and I've already reviewed it.
    Just some silly mistakes I won't make twice.
    Come clean, reassure that you can and will do better.
    It shows a certain amount of responsibility and maturity which will hopefully lighten the backlash.

Though... once you get older (Maybe just now) I would stop caring. Your grades are your own. You hold the responsibility over them. Parents are a good motivator when you are young but once you are older they should really back off. If you don't study enough that's on you. Make you own mistakes and learn from them.
    When I got a bad mark I would just say the mark I got and then end the conversation. No point getting in a fight over something that is already done. I would either learn from my mistakes or suffer the consequences. I learned.

ChivalrousNEET likes this.
  19. ChivalrousNEET

Reading List:
    Link
    Its not set by my parents. I think its the country that set this up with some private schools as exceptions.

20. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    in my country public school pass marks is 44..private school pass marks is 50....the board exam good student grade is 80+(A+)...to get in good college and University u need to get 4.50-5.00 GPA....while engineering schools demand 20 out of 20 in the 4 compulsory science subject (physics math chemistry math-ii/biology)