Discussion Studying Html and Css- Are they worth it?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MH2, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Focus on Wordpress related programming languages

2. Xevo

Xevo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably the funniest response I've read in this thread. :blobReach:

(You're not wrong though. :hmm:)

Clothespin and Wujigege like this.
  3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    CSS and HTML are easy. Because they follow a said structure, once you know the structure and know what they can do, it is mostly about looking up references. That is about it. There will always be new things like yes Aria and other attributes, but it isn't comparable to a programming language where you need to learn far more logic and learning a long list of functions, familiarizing with libraries, frameworks and etc.

Yes you can make complex stuff with HTML and CSS like someone showed a CSS based game. But why would you want to? Accessing the DOM is a wasteful operation and you are better of turning to WebGL or Canvas for those fancy things. CSS animations are intended for just basic stuff if you need them.

As for backend, again I will suggest against PHP. It was always a weak backend to begin with. Now that Node exists which runs on javascript, there is little advantages to using it. Hence why PHP usage is on the decline.

MH2, zeus and ohko like this.
  4. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Yes.
    2) True. But this is pretty much dependent on where you are. However, just because there is an oversaturation of website programmers, doesn't mean there's no job. People make new websites every day.
    3) You may spend decades and still not good at it if you're not diligent or if you're prone to cutting corners in your education.
    4) Don't learn something just because you want a job. Anything you learn can make you a job. Don't listen to those idiot parents who say "If you learn this, you will not get a job." If you're good at something, there's a job for you.
    5) Javascript and Java (they're not the same thing) as well as php and knowledge of database are natural complements to HTML. You don't need to learn Flash anymore as they're being phased out.

Don't be afraid about studying for a long time and not being good enough. That's quitters talk. Nobody gets good in just a year. Also, this is not about who's the best and whatnots. There is no 'programmer's cup' that you have to compete in. If you can do it, then you can do it. It's not a competition or a race. Learning anything requires years of constant effort.

If you think, "This looks hard, I don't want to study for months and end up not being good at it", you've already lost the battle. Not half the battle. If you think like this, you have already lost the entire war. The only way you'll know if you can do it, is by doing it, not by making assumptions based on something you don't understand. Of course you don't understand programming, you haven't even started programming yet.

tl;dr If you want to do it, just do it. If you don't want to do it, don't do it. Making non-educated presumptions is just going to bring you down.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    MH2 likes this.
  5. Xevo

Xevo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you telling me other languages don't follow a said structure and you can't look up references? Mind is blown.

Honestly, I know that most back-end languages are harder than HTML and CSS, but that doesn't mean they are easy. By the way, there are still tons of websites that don't use these new functions.

Also on the PHP thing, as long as famous works like Wordpress and Laravel work on PHP, I'm sticking with it.

6. Aebriol

Aebriol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can learn the basics of HTML and CSS in a day. IF you start from scratch. And just follow a tutorial. By basic I mean understanding how a website is created, how the code is structured, and how to apply formatting and positioning - which is what CSS really is).

That doesn't mean you get good because you'll only improve by trying to create actual stuff (personally I recommend taking a favorite cool looking web site and just say - I'll create this layout for learning purposes, ignoring the content for now).

I would say ... if you want to learn it... spend a few hours on a basic tutorial so you understand the basic structure.

Then download bootstrap examples and start modifying it just to test things out.

Once you've done that, find a website and say "I'm going to create this design from scratch.

You'll naturally start learning javascript just by seeing how other sites implement interactivity (menus and shit), and after that the next logical step is PHP.

As for getting a job only with html and css...no. That means you are purely a designer. You need photoshop on top, as well as good taste and being able to sit with clients and understand what they want and create it. If you also know javascript well - yes, it is possible. But you probably want some basic PHP and database knowledge as well.

MH2 likes this.
  7. faulcon

faulcon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If right from the start you don't even like it then you'll probably hate it by the time you're doing it for a living. You don't have to enjoy your work but I cannot recommend any kind of programming to someone who isn't at least interested in the concepts.

Ai chan likes this.
  8. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    They do, but that is only as far as basic structure goes. From there things turn far more complex because there are multiple ways to write the same code that operate completely differently or virtually the same. Then there are as I said libraries and frameworks which each have their own way of doing things.

To put it this way, HTML and CSS is like spelling while a programming language is like spelling + grammar.

Right, because of browser compatibility CSS3 and HTML5 adoption is behind but the web existed without them. They just offer new features and that is about it, you don't need them and they won't offer a difference in performance. For programming, every decision you make has an impact on performance.

I am NOT saying to switch by any means. But if you are a new programmer, there is little reason to it. Especially why bother learning 2 programming languages when you can learn one.

9. Cantelope

Cantelope Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's always worth your time to learn new things my friend.

10. Darkwood

Darkwood Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on which area you want to go into as to weather that specific language is worth it (it's used a lot in web design tho many find css to be very annoying and may use other and similar things) but you can't really go wrong with HTML and JavaScript or other big name languages.

11. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I am not a programmer audited a java class but it isn't worth it for me.
    I could make more money swindling people and pulling stuff out of my ass :blobowoevil_horns:
    I was just trying to be short and to the point

12. xd123

xd123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link